WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

Did the Vatican write the Quran? (A lesson in propaganda and critical thinking)

Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
edited September 2015 in End Times Study

Dahboo just reposted the above video, and presented it in such a manner as to indicate that what it's saying is true. If one glances at the comments below the video, they will find almost universal agreement. I thought this would be an interesting opportunity to talk about what's mentioned in the video, and display first hand how something that seems so emotionally appealing (especially if one already believes in what's being touted) can be passed off as truth, when the opposite is reality.

Here we go!

(1) "6666 verses in the Quran."

There are actually only 6436 numbered verses in the Quran, or 6438 if one counts the two invented verses the Arabs added to the Quran, but which aren't actually a part of it.

(2) "Mohammed is mentioned four times."

Mohammed is mentioned five times.

(3) "Jesus is mentioned 25 times." (And this is important because it's to indicate that Jesus plays a greater role than Mohammed does in the Quran, if not the greatest role.)

Jesus is indeed mentioned 25 times. However, Noah is mentioned 43. Jacob is also mentioned 43. And then of course, there is Moses, who is mentioned 136 times - more than anyone else, and five times as much as Jesus.

(4) "Why does the Quran give more preference to Jesus?"

It doesn't, as the above numbers show. The only preference it provides is relative to the word "Mohammed", when all other names are excluded, and also doesn't include the number of times Mohammed is mentioned solely as "the messenger", without any name at all.

(5) "Mary is the only woman named in the Quran."

This is correct. Many other women are referred to, but only she is named. The reason for this (and I mention this not to antagonize any Christians, but only provide an explanation), is to illuminate that Jesus was a human being with a human mother, and not divine in any way. Throughout the Quran, Jesus is usually referred to as, "Jesus, son of Mary".

(6) "Chapter 3 of the Quran is named 'The Family of Mary'."

No, it isn't; it's named, "Ali Imran", or the "Amramites", and features many other important individuals in addition to just Mary. It just so happened that Mary was also a member of this family.

(7) "One chapter, chapter 19, is named after Mary herself."

This is true. There is also a chapter named after Joseph, Jonah, Abraham, Luqmaan, Mohammed, and Noah. There is not a single chapter named after Jesus, or assigned to Jesus, although he features regularly throughout the Quran.

(8) "Mary is described as being a virgin and sinless."

This is true. She is greatly respected in the Quran, and deservedly so for her belief and trials.

(9) "50:23 says that Mary goes to heaven with her body intact."

Interesting, since 50:23 says this: "The companion said, 'Here is my formidable testimony.'"

(10) "Even the Catholic Assumption is written into the Quran."

No it isn't, anywhere.

(11) "The Quran calls Jesus, 'The Word of God', 'The Spirit of God', 'Jesus Christ'" (quoting 3:45-55).

The Quran does none of these things. The "word" is the word of God declaring that Jesus would be born, and potentially his important role as a deliverer of the message. The "spirit" is the assistive tool given to Jesus to work miracles as signs of the veracity of the message. Jesus is called "The Messiah, son of Mary" - but "Messiah" in this case simply means "annointed", or chosen as a messenger: [3:45] The angels said, "O Mary, GOD gives you good news: a Word from Him whose name is `The Messiah, Jesus the son of Mary. He will be prominent in this life and in the Hereafter, and one of those closest to Me.'

(12) "The Quran says that Jesus spoke when he was very small / made birds from clay."

This is true. But just because the Bible decided to omit this important information despite the fact that the Bible's authors had it at their disposal doesn't suddenly attach ownership to this information in the Quran. 

(13) "Jesus cured the sick, the blind, and brought people back to life in the Quran."

This is true. But if this is a fact, why wouldn't the Quran repeat this truthful information? If it's wrong, doesn't that mean that both the Bible and the Quran are simultaneously incorrect?

(14) "The Quran says that Jesus will come again."

The Quran says no such thing. The Quran does, however, state that when the ingrates attempted to kill Jesus, God lifted Jesus up to heaven. However, God does the same for all believers when their worldly life comes to an end.

(15) "According to the Quran, Mohammed is not the spirit or word of God."

That is true. But neither is Jesus, or any other of the human messengers God sent, as described in the Quran.

(16) "According to Islam (assuming the Quran), Mohammed is not alive."

This is not true. The Quran specifically states that all believers are taken up, and that includes Jesus, Mohammed, Moses, Noah, and the many other believers who have walked this Earth. 

(17) "There are a lot of differences between these two prophets."

In their actions perhaps, since they lived in different times and in different scenarios, but they spoke identical messages, as described in the Quran. Mohammed did not raise people from the dead. But Jesus did not receive a mathematically encoded book from God, either. Both received the miracles they were assigned.

(18) "I called Jesus a prophet like Mohammed, but one greater than Mohammed."

This is a direct violation of the Quran, which commands that there be no distinction between any of the messengers: [3:84] Say, "We believe in GOD, and in what was sent down to us, and in what was sent down to Abraham, Ismail, Isaac, Jacob, and the Patriarchs, and in what was given to Moses, Jesus, and the prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction among any of them. To Him alone we are submitters."

(19) "How did God create the universe?" "He created the universe through the word." "Therefore, Jesus is God."

He's making a play on the Quranic verses that say, "When God wishes something, he simply says 'Be' and it is." Since we've already proven that Jesus is not called "the word" anywhere in the Quran, this becomes an illogical connection within the Quran, and a falsehood. The Quran does not state this.

(20) "I read the entire Quran once again."

But did he? Has he actually read it at all? How could someone who apparently preaches from the Quran, and who reads it in its entirety make the above mistakes? Some of this information is so rudimentary that one wonders what the intent of the above video really was.

Nevertheless, I hope that was illuminating to those with interest. It goes to show how easily information can be manipulated, repackaged, and then presented as truth.

[Edit, Sept 16 / 2015 - Corrected an error in the number of verses in the Quran.]
-------------------
"...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)

Comments

• anonanon (To comment anonymously, log in as "anon" and use password "1234".)
    I thought you were making a honest critisism from the begining
    especially when you mentioned how many times musa was mentioned against isa, Until I saw how you quoted some verses indirectly there by manipulating them to fit your defence. You may one to go back and consider if you want to believe the quran or not
  • Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    edited September 2015
    anon said:

I thought you were making a honest critisism from the begining
    especially when you mentioned how many times musa was mentioned against isa, Until I saw how you quoted some verses indirectly there by manipulating them to fit your defence. You may one to go back and consider if you want to believe the quran or not

Could you point out which verses thave been "manipulated", and to what effect? All of those verses can be found in the Quran and verified by anyone, and are fairly straightforward. 
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)