WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to posting or commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you ever need assistance, simply contact one of the staff or send us an email and we'll be glad to help.

Remember Elisa Lam? Well, she's still posting...

Comments

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    I totally agree with everything that Robin said about the Tumblr posts... However, I always assumed it to be the case. As someone who used Tumblr for years, I know it's not that strange for someone to queue a big batch of posts in order to not flood other peoples' dashboards or give a particular user too many "reblog" notifications all at once. So even though I always assumed they were queued posts, it never gave a definitive end to the allure of this case and I imagine I will always feel some type of intrigue about the case even after I no longer actively research or read about it.

I do have one question though... We may not have any evidence that anyone ever had access to the nouvelle-nouveau blog after her death - but do we know how the bruitdefond blog got changed to bruitdefond-blog? I recall people inquiring and even writing Tumblr directly, but I don't recall ever seeing that question get a real answer.

And lastly, I saw someone ask this question several pages back but didn't see an answer to it either. How did the public ever discover that the Ether Fields blogspot belonged to Elisa? I know that the nouvelle-nouveau Tumblr is directly linked to it, but who originally found out about the blogspot?

Thanks to anyone who can clear these things up for me.
    1. I'm not that familiar with tumblr culture myself - is it normal for people to queue up things a year ahead of time? Her last posts where many months after her death, if I'm not mistaken.

2. Can you elaborate a bit more for us on the highlighted portion? I'm not sure I've heard about that before.
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • I totally agree with everything that Robin said about the Tumblr posts... However, I always assumed it to be the case. As someone who used Tumblr for years, I know it's not that strange for someone to queue a big batch of posts in order to not flood other peoples' dashboards or give a particular user too many "reblog" notifications all at once. So even though I always assumed they were queued posts, it never gave a definitive end to the allure of this case and I imagine I will always feel some type of intrigue about the case even after I no longer actively research or read about it.

I do have one question though... We may not have any evidence that anyone ever had access to the nouvelle-nouveau blog after her death - but do we know how the bruitdefond blog got changed to bruitdefond-blog? I recall people inquiring and even writing Tumblr directly, but I don't recall ever seeing that question get a real answer.

And lastly, I saw someone ask this question several pages back but didn't see an answer to it either. How did the public ever discover that the Ether Fields blogspot belonged to Elisa? I know that the nouvelle-nouveau Tumblr is directly linked to it, but who originally found out about the blogspot?

Thanks to anyone who can clear these things up for me.
    1. I'm not that familiar with tumblr culture myself - is it normal for people to queue up things a year ahead of time? Her last posts where many months after her death, if I'm not mistaken.

2. Can you elaborate a bit more for us on the highlighted portion? I'm not sure I've heard about that before.
    As far as the first part, my take on the matter is that she queued a big batch of posts for February which ended up being after her death first because that was the closest future date to when she actively saw them. She didn't want to post them live so she just queued for a few weeks in advance. As far as the March, April, and June couple of posts... I think she may have queued those based off of the images themselves. Something about the post reminded her of later months or she just didn't want to keep queueing February posts. It seems she tend to queue a bunch on certain days, skip a few days, then skip a week, etc. so her posts would be spaced out and not ever all at once as many Tumblr users tend to find this "annoying". She seemed to like the stylist Elisa Nalin a lot, and I think the outfits she is wearing in the March/April/June posts reminded her of spring/summer, so she wanted them posted in warmer months, and didn't want more than one picture of Elisa Nalin back to back. As for the December post, it's snow, and I think at the end of January when she was looking forward to spring, she liked the snow picture but found it more suitable for Christmas time and queued it for December. And after four years I think it's safe to say that's probably all she queued, unless she did something super far in advance as like some type of anniversary post or time capsule letter-to-my-future-self type post. But I don't consider that likely. That's just my take on it based off of how I've blogged myself in the past and how friends I've had who actually queue often blog.

About the bruitdefond Tumblr, on her nouvelle-nouveau blog under "ETC" where she links to her other social medias, she links directly to "http://bruitdefond.tumblr.com/" and refers to it as her style blog. My initial reaction was "Oh, she changed her url/deleted her style blog when she was alive and forgot to update her link to it on her main blog." but people on this forum and websleuths claimed that they had seen the blog live at that URL. There are snapshots of it on the Wayback Machine. However, bruitdefond-blog now contains all the posts that were originally on bruitdefond all the way back to 2011 - which suggests a migration of the posts, i.e. a URL change. The people here on this forum say that it happened after her death, but I can't personally attest to that. The Wayback snapshots skip from 2012 when it was a live blog to 2016 when it looked as it does now. bruitdefond-blog cannot be snapshotted due to robots.txt just as nouvelle-nouveau (most Tumblr blogs are this way due to the fact that most premade themes include robots.txt in their CSS), however interestingly enough the original bruitdefond was able to be snapshotted, possibly due to the fact that it seemed to have a rather simple Tumblr theme.

I found where they were originally talking about this on this thread, it's on page 10 right after you linked to the archive.org snapshots of the original bruitdefond blog, Matt.
    Distracting, but inspiring.
  • One thing I just noticed while looking at her Twitter: Her bio doesn't link directly to her tumblr -- just to tumblr.com. That strikes me as strange.
  • One thing I just noticed while looking at her Twitter: Her bio doesn't link directly to her tumblr -- just to tumblr.com. That strikes me as strange.
    I thought that was odd as well. At first I thought perhaps Twitter was amending the URL since Tumblr blogs aren't just www.blank.com, as I've seen some sites do that before. However I tested it myself and it doesn't seem to have any problems linking Tumblr blogs any way you format them. The only other thing I can think of is she just wanted to reference her usage of Tumblr, perhaps even baiting potential Twitter friends to DM her for her Tumblr URL, but without actively linking to it - especially since she seemed to want to keep her Tumblr anonymous and private from most people outside of her online sphere and her Twitter URL matched her Facebook URL where she had real life friends and family added, which would make it easy for real life people to find her Tumblr.
  • Also weird: one of the lists she is a member of on Twitter is written in Korean and translates to "Rest in Peace."
  • Also weird: one of the lists she is a member of on Twitter is written in Korean and translates to "Rest in Peace."
    Other users make lists and you don't have to approve anything to be included in them. I'd guess a Korean speaker just has a list of accounts of deceased people.
    Other users make lists and you don't have to approve anything to be included in them. I'd guess a Korean speaker just has a list of accounts of deceased people.
    That makes sense; thanks for clearing that up.
    That makes sense; thanks for clearing that up.
    Yeah, I just looked at some of the other accounts in the list you mentioned and they are also the accounts of deceased people. So I think it's safe to say that's it. I can see how it would seem odd if you didn't know the mechanics of the lists on Twitter. No problem! Keep bringing attention to anything you see that you think is odd. It seems like there's still lots of nuances people haven't mentioned we could all discuss.
  • Anonymous commenting is currently offline. Please take a moment to register - it's quick and easy - in order to participate.
    I second this invitation.

A thread filled with a bunch of anonymous posters is not only confusing to potential newcomers, but also lowers the credibility of the investigation by obfuscating the true number of participants and making it look like a crazy person's hideaway.

I'd also like to further Matt's invitation by inviting you to post new threads on the forum.

Do you know about other mysteries that are interesting, or that you're trying to solve?  Start a thread and get others in on it!

Did you see a news article or science report that you feel is noteworthy?  Share it with us, and discuss!
    People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
    - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings
  • Anonymous commenting is currently offline. Please take a moment to register - it's quick and easy - in order to participate.
    I second this invitation.

A thread filled with a bunch of anonymous posters is not only confusing to potential newcomers, but also lowers the credibility of the investigation by obfuscating the true number of participants and making it look like a crazy person's hideaway.

I'd also like to further Matt's invitation by inviting you to post new threads on the forum.

Do you know about other mysteries that are interesting, or that you're trying to solve?  Start a thread and get others in on it!

Did you see a news article or science report that you feel is noteworthy?  Share it with us, and discuss!
    Did anonymous commenting go offline on purpose? lol

Anyway, I'm glad I found this forum and signed up and will definitely be involved in new threads if I find anything that sparks my interest. Thanks for being so welcoming.
  • GrumpyGuy_MOD_GrumpyGuy_MOD_ Moderator
    edited March 13
    Yes, it was deactivated.

We'll be happy to have you in other threads!  Even the odd comment on something is superb, and more than welcomed.
    People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
    - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings
  • JD107JD107 Member
    edited March 14
    Re: the Bruitdefond thing - Tumblr automatically affixes "-blog" to urls once the user is inactive for a certain period of time. I assume they do this so that people can't hoard valuable urls and whatnot. We'll likely see it happen to nouvelle-nouveau relatively soon too.

----------

As for the documentary: I like what they're trying to do. I get the impression it'll be made with care, effort and respect. Seems like they're decent filmmakers, who genuinely want to help figure this all out. No different than any of us.

After viewing the trailer, I don't see how it could appear contrived or gauche. Obviously there's some cinematic acrobatics (the brooding shots of water, dissonant music, etc), but that's not there to transform the piece into spooky nonsense. It's just an artistic element introduced to add a little extra panache.

Regarding the monetary element, I don't think it's wrong for someone to want to be compensated for something they've made. Especially when it took time, effort, skill and talent. Plus, the creators have stated they'll be donating some funds to the Lam family, so I'd say they're already more morally "correct" than all the other people creating content on the subject.

I digress; I hope they meet their goal. In a recent update, they talk about how "One of [the] subjects, who was a good friend of Elisa's and is still devastated by her loss, recently told me that he feels her story is in good hands"

It's interesting to hear that they're in contact with people who knew her, and also plan to interview "LAPD detectives and Cecil Hotel management". Hope that happens regardless of funds. Lots of important information can be gleaned from that.
  • RayMarie said:
    Had to lie, didn't work in my favor. :P I still don't think that tumblr did it.
    What about this post from page 10? There are other posts from @RayMarie on page 10 regarding dealing with Tumblr directly and the process they had to go through to get their own blog from 2008 deleted in 2015. I also still can see one of my own personal blogs I have not accessed since 2012 or 2013 at the original URL. I can't find any other instances of Tumblr adding -blog to anyone's URL? I know they add -deactivated as well as a string of numbers to blogs that are actually deactivated by the user personally. If you know of any other instances of Tumblr adding -blog to someone's URL, please let me know. I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, I just haven't seen it personally.
  • RayMarie said:
    Had to lie, didn't work in my favor. :P I still don't think that tumblr did it.
    What about this post from page 10? There are other posts from @RayMarie on page 10 regarding dealing with Tumblr directly and the process they had to go through to get their own blog from 2008 deleted in 2015. I also still can see one of my own personal blogs I have not accessed since 2012 or 2013 at the original URL. I can't find any other instances of Tumblr adding -blog to anyone's URL? I know they add -deactivated as well as a string of numbers to blogs that are actually deactivated by the user personally. If you know of any other instances of Tumblr adding -blog to someone's URL, please let me know. I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, I just haven't seen it personally.
    I'm an avid Tumblr user and also have never heard of them adding -blog to anyone's URL, even if the blog has been inactive for many years.
  • anonargumentanonargument Member
    edited March 14
    Sorry for the double post, I JUST missed the window of opportunity for editing my above post, lol.

I found this right after posting my last comment: https://support.tumblr.com/post/129312400022/heads-up-on-a-little-maintenance-thats-going-on

So they didn't start doing it until 2015, so I guess that explains RayMarie's situation with a 2008-2015 blog. And as far as mine goes, I must have logged on to it at some point then, lol. More than likely accidentally when trying to access a different Tumblr of mine and having my e-mail addresses confused.

Anyway, is "-blog" indeed what they add to those other inactive accounts? They mention that they are saving everyone's actual blog contents, so I would assume they would be changing the URLs or leaving them in some suspended limbo. What if someone were to want the URL with -blog at the end, how would those ever be released due to inactivity if it's already been more years? A never-ending series of -blog-blog-blog? lol

EDIT: I think I found a pretty good example of Tumblr actually adding "-blog". Someone got an ask about their new URL being cool and they published it and tagged it with #released urls. The new URL they have is "arboks.tumblr.com" and indeed an inactive "arboks-blog.tumblr.com" exists. So that's all the proof I need, haha. Hopefully all my questioning here will be good enough for any other lurkers of this thread wondering what I wondered.
    JD107 said:
    Re: the Bruitdefond thing - Tumblr automatically affixes "-blog" to urls once the user is inactive for a certain period of time. I assume they do this so that people can't hoard valuable urls and whatnot. We'll likely see it happen to nouvelle-nouveau relatively soon too.

----------

As for the documentary: I like what they're trying to do. I get the impression it'll be made with care, effort and respect. Seems like they're decent filmmakers, who genuinely want to help figure this all out. No different than any of us.

After viewing the trailer, I don't see how it could appear contrived or gauche. Obviously there's some cinematic acrobatics (the brooding shots of water, dissonant music, etc), but that's not there to transform the piece into spooky nonsense. It's just an artistic element introduced to add a little extra panache.

Regarding the monetary element, I don't think it's wrong for someone to want to be compensated for something they've made. Especially when it took time, effort, skill and talent. Plus, the creators have stated they'll be donating some funds to the Lam family, so I'd say they're already more morally "correct" than all the other people creating content on the subject.

I digress; I hope they meet their goal. In a recent update, they talk about how "One of [the] subjects, who was a good friend of Elisa's and is still devastated by her loss, recently told me that he feels her story is in good hands"

It's interesting to hear that they're in contact with people who knew her, and also plan to interview "LAPD detectives and Cecil Hotel management". Hope that happens regardless of funds. Lots of important information can be gleaned from that.
    I'm going to assume that's sarcasm about the trailer - I'm pretty sure no one would want their sister's / daughter's / friend's death presented in a 3 minute clip of special effects and spooky music overlaid atop her last known images and place of passing.

Beginning with the strange error they made over the year of her death, I'm left with a lot of questions about this group. How do they suddenly have access to the LAPD, her family, her friends, when all these groups slammed the case shut and essentially disappeared? Why would they suddenly open up to two random filmmakers no one has ever heard of before?

As already mentioned, there has been at least one other documentary made, tastefully and with deep investigation, and they didn't didn't require such a huge pile of cash, or any money at all in fact. I'm not sure why the investigation of a young girl's death requires a budget for special effects, and all the interviews could just as easily be conducted by Skype for free. People don't care about manicured witnesses in a studio, they just want the truth. I'm not really sure how morally correct it is to profit off of what remains a tragedy.

It's mysterious to say the least. I truly hope it's not part of the psy-op to tie up loose ends because a lot of people are still asking questions. 
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
    P.S.

Welcome to the website, @JD107

(and you too, @anonargument )
    -------------------
  • hunterhunter Member
    edited March 14

http://www.investigationdiscovery.com/

I sincerely hope the "Investigation Discovery" network decides to devote a segment to this case on their channel.  It would go a long way in shaking the bushes and hopefully some leads would fall out that might actually lead somewhere.  

I'm still not convinced that donating cash to a few strangers makes much sense. Although they appear to have respect for Elisa and her family, they might be tempted to say what people want to hear in order to get them to open their wallets.

Call me cynical, but that's my take.
    Capture.JPG 41.4K
  • ridlahridlah Member
    JD107 said:

----------

I'm going to assume that's sarcasm about the trailer - I'm pretty sure no one would want their sister's / daughter's / friend's death presented in a 3 minute clip of special effects and spooky music overlaid atop her last known images and place of passing.

Beginning with the strange error they made over the year of her death, I'm left with a lot of questions about this group. How do they suddenly have access to the LAPD, her family, her friends, when all these groups slammed the case shut and essentially disappeared? Why would they suddenly open up to two random filmmakers no one has ever heard of before?

As already mentioned, there has been at least one other documentary made, tastefully and with deep investigation, and they didn't didn't require such a huge pile of cash, or any money at all in fact. I'm not sure why the investigation of a young girl's death requires a budget for special effects, and all the interviews could just as easily be conducted by Skype for free. People don't care about manicured witnesses in a studio, they just want the truth. I'm not really sure how morally correct it is to profit off of what remains a tragedy.

It's mysterious to say the least. I truly hope it's not part of the psy-op to tie up loose ends because a lot of people are still asking questions. 
    Exactly! Who are these people? How do they know anything?  Seems a bit scammy...
    I think if it is psy-op, they want it out in the open as it had been. That's how these things work with these groups... it's done so everyone can see it.  Vancouver has a large Masonic population, look into yourself or come here and visit - you will be shocked by all the symbology throughout the city.
    Every clue the media has presented should be revisited, especially as they lead back to where she's from, who paid for her trip, how she was encouraged to go where she did, and why this wasn't as big of a deal locally as one would expect???
  • ROBINROBIN Member
    Hi all.

Just some housekeeping..its important though. To book tickets for Conan you have to do this weeks in advance. Its also a lottery. If Elisa did this method this would be the reason why she went to LA. As the ticket would have been approx 4 weeks earlier and confirmed.

Alternatively they have Stand By tickets each day. Its hit and miss with these. To get these you need to phone at 10.30am in the morning to check if any availability.

I suspect she went for the 2nd option.

ROBIN said:
    Hi all.

Just some housekeeping..its important though. To book tickets for Conan you have to do this weeks in advance. Its also a lottery. If Elisa did this method this would be the reason why she went to LA. As the ticket would have been approx 4 weeks earlier and confirmed.

Alternatively they have Stand By tickets each day. Its hit and miss with these. To get these you need to phone at 10.30am in the morning to check if any availability.

I suspect she went for the 2nd option.

Good info
    -------------------
    ridlah said:
    JD107 said:

----------

Exactly! Who are these people? How do they know anything?  Seems a bit scammy...
    I think if it is psy-op, they want it out in the open as it had been. That's how these things work with these groups... it's done so everyone can see it.  Vancouver has a large Masonic population, look into yourself or come here and visit - you will be shocked by all the symbology throughout the city.
    Every clue the media has presented should be revisited, especially as they lead back to where she's from, who paid for her trip, how she was encouraged to go where she did, and why this wasn't as big of a deal locally as one would expect???
    Absolutely
    -------------------
  • I know thks thread hasn't been updated in awhile, but I still want to share my piece because I care about this case.

I believe she went to los Angeles to get a break; she's done it once before. She traveled to San Diego with no problems, she mentioned she went to sea world etc; seems that she had a normal stay there. Then she went to the cecil hotel... and all of a sudden she starts behaving odd? That's suspicious to me since a friend of hers said she was a genuinely sweet person and didn't behave that way. But the main thing that I don't understand is the fact that the took her to a new room rather than calling to police,or an ambulance to make sure things were fine. Hours before she was found in the water tank, she bought gifts from her family at the bookstore (so it's safe to say she has a job) the owner said she was acting lively, and kindly so I really doubt that she was making her roommates uncomfortable (the words 'she was behaving oddly' didn't even come out of her roommates mouth, it originally came from an employee, and then the lawyer said it). ....

Her walking into the elevator with no glasses on, and not even her watch made it seem like she was in a rush. She cares so much about her appearance, and fashion so it also doesn't make sense why she had on Saxon basketball shorts (most likely from her old high school because they're Canadian).. A,person who studies body language said that it looked as if she was on ecstasy, which wouldn't have shown up during the toxicology report. It looked as if she was drugged, and couldn't see anything that's why she held out her arms. I believe that the doors didn't close because an employee prevented it from closing (maybe there's controls?) Because it was back normal after she left, and went down the floors normally. It seems as if another employee was trying to speak to her from afar on purpose because they know where the cameras are which is probably why her clothing was in the basement.. an employee put them there. It also makes sense as to why they all said they didn't hear an alarm; they were lying. Im getting the feeling that they done this before.

Elisa said she told a guy she just met on her trip that she liked him, and she also mentioned she didn't want Mexican and Italian men hitting on her because they're aggressive, so that being said she must get hit on a lo.
    LameBlame said:
    I know thks thread hasn't been updated in awhile, but I still want to share my piece because I care about this case.

I believe she went to los Angeles to get a break; she's done it once before. She traveled to San Diego with no problems, she mentioned she went to sea world etc; seems that she had a normal stay there. Then she went to the cecil hotel... and all of a sudden she starts behaving odd? That's suspicious to me since a friend of hers said she was a genuinely sweet person and didn't behave that way. But the main thing that I don't understand is the fact that the took her to a new room rather than calling to police,or an ambulance to make sure things were fine. Hours before she was found in the water tank, she bought gifts from her family at the bookstore (so it's safe to say she has a job) the owner said she was acting lively, and kindly so I really doubt that she was making her roommates uncomfortable (the words 'she was behaving oddly' didn't even come out of her roommates mouth, it originally came from an employee, and then the lawyer said it). ....

Her walking into the elevator with no glasses on, and not even her watch made it seem like she was in a rush. She cares so much about her appearance, and fashion so it also doesn't make sense why she had on Saxon basketball shorts (most likely from her old high school because they're Canadian).. A,person who studies body language said that it looked as if she was on ecstasy, which wouldn't have shown up during the toxicology report. It looked as if she was drugged, and couldn't see anything that's why she held out her arms. I believe that the doors didn't close because an employee prevented it from closing (maybe there's controls?) Because it was back normal after she left, and went down the floors normally. It seems as if another employee was trying to speak to her from afar on purpose because they know where the cameras are which is probably why her clothing was in the basement.. an employee put them there. It also makes sense as to why they all said they didn't hear an alarm; they were lying. Im getting the feeling that they done this before.

Elisa said she told a guy she just met on her trip that she liked him, and she also mentioned she didn't want Mexican and Italian men hitting on her because they're aggressive, so that being said she must get hit on a lo.
    Welcome to the website, and for sharing your thoughts - this thread is still very much active!
    -------------------
    Maintenance complete. Anonymous commenting back online.

-------------------
  • ROBINROBIN Member
    One word. Security.
    Is there any additional info on the fellow she said she liked while on her trip?
    -------------------
  • Is there any additional info on the fellow she said she liked while on her trip?
    I'm not sure. She hadn't mentioned anything else from my knowing. 

Maybe the guy she liked is one of the two men the cttv footage caught her with? Or maybe one of her followers that wanted to meet up with her when she was having people sign 'meet up' applications? I feel like it was a guy she trusted.
  • Random ttiinggss

-there was only one sex offender at the hotel during her stay.
    -on yelp, someone mentioned that there was a hole in the wall for someone to watch the women taking showers.
    -the water tanks are 8ft tall and she's only 5'6, she for sure didn't close it herself, especially since its 20 pounds.
    -a drone photo showed that there's graffiti on the water tanks, and the photo was taken while the firefighters were getting out her body; therefore it wasn't alarmed. Plus one of the doors(if you didn't know, they're double doors) didn't have a knob so I'm sure it wasn't locked and could be accessed by anyone.
    -the autopsy said that they had her hotel key card, but the buildings so old and outdated that they don't have any, only regular keys, so maybe it could've been a typo.....? Or a clue.
    -there was flooding on an upper level following ELs disappearance.

• I kind of got the impression regarding the new guy she said she liked (if I'm thinking of the same posts the previous people commenting were referring to) that he was actually someone she either knew in Vancouver and was following on social media or just knew online, because the things she was saying about him weren't anything you couldn't know about someone from something like social media posts (he got a tattoo today, he plays the bass, he wears suspenders, etc.) If you were all referring to something/someone else, please do let me know.
  • anonanon (To comment anonymously, log in as "anon" and use password "1234".)
    maybe we should look at who profited from this
    did anyone make any money from this whole situation?
    anon said:
    All the people making movies for starters
    anon said:
    anon said:
    All the people making movies for starters
    There's been suggestion in this thread that the whole thing was a marketing ploy for a movie, but that movie has been in "production limbo" forever, so I wonder.

Maybe it would be interesting to investigate if the Cecil's popularity rose or declined as a result of all this?
    -------------------
  • spookyellaspookyella Member
    edited March 18
    LameBlame said:
    Random ttiinggss

-on yelp, someone mentioned that there was a hole in the wall for someone to watch the women taking showers.
    -the water tanks are 8ft tall and she's only 5'6, she for sure didn't close it herself, especially since its 20 pounds.
    -a drone photo showed that there's graffiti on the water tanks, and the photo was taken while the firefighters were getting out her body; therefore it wasn't alarmed. Plus one of the doors(if you didn't know, they're double doors) didn't have a knob so I'm sure it wasn't locked and could be accessed by anyone.
    -the autopsy said that they had her hotel key card, but the buildings so old and outdated that they don't have any, only regular keys, so maybe it could've been a typo.....? Or a clue.

From what I understand, when she was staying at the Cecil, floors 4, 5, and 6 were remodeled and rebranded as the Stay On Main, and therefore had a keycard, not an actual key.
  • spookyellaspookyella Member
    edited March 18
    On another note, the Yelp page for the Stay On Main says it is closed for remodeling. Was anyone else aware of this?

EDIT: Looking into it, the website for Stay On Main is gone too.
    Now isn't that interesting... Good spot, Spooky
    -------------------
  • This article I just found says that when the remodeling is done, guests will be able to eat on the rooftop.
    This article I just found says that when the remodeling is done, guests will be able to eat on the rooftop.
    Wow.
    -------------------
    i ran across this forum which is definitely worth checking out:http://www.earthsongforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14427&page=3 where a woman named 'Lady of the trees' is talking about a maintainence man at the hotel who's worked there for 30+ years had attended ALL of the funerals of every patron who ever died mysteriously in the Cecil and on page 1 of this forum she talks about some extremely pushy guy who wanted to show her around the city
    Note the dates of her posts match the dates Elisa died

this woman stayed at the cecil hotel while Elisa's body was in the tank...
  • This article I just found says that when the remodeling is done, guests will be able to eat on the rooftop.
    This part alone was enough for me to be like "Wow, that sounds terrible." but then I saw where the article mentioned a rooftop pool and I'm just speechless...
    It's insane, isn't it? It almost feels like some sort of perverse ritual, in which everyone can have "the Elisa Lam experience"
    -------------------
  • Ispookyella said:
    LameBlame said:
    Random ttiinggss

From what I understand, when she was staying at the Cecil, floors 4, 5, and 6 were remodeled and rebranded as the Stay On Main, and therefore had a keycard, not an actual key.
    There's a video posted September 2016 where someone visited the hotel to speak to Elisas spirit thru an app, well he stayed in two different rooms which both had keys, there's also a group of men more recently who show that they have actual keys instead of card keys.
    edited March 18
    It's insane, isn't it? It almost feels like some sort of perverse ritual, in which everyone can have "the Elisa Lam experience"
    I can't help but feel like they are trying to capitalize based off of people's obsession with this tragedy, at least a little. I can understand them wanting to re-brand and get away from the bad image they have had for so long and especially following the incident (I mean they were even trying to break away from their bad image from years past during the time that Elisa booked her stay there, albeit not in the best way as a lot of the claimed amenities seemed to be unavailable or faulty and other information of certain interest was withheld), but going so far as to have rooftop dining and a rooftop pool seems to me to not just be trying to be renovated and more upscale and draw people's minds AWAY from the tragedies that happened there, but instead a way to perversely indulge people's thoughts about the tragedy itself. I just can't believe if this wasn't intentional that no one involved was like "Wait a minute, don't you think this could look bad? Maybe we should invest in something else."
    I can't help but feel like they are trying to capitalize based off of people's obsession with this tragedy, at least a little. I can understand them wanting to re-brand and get away from the bad image they have had for so long and especially following the incident (I mean they were even trying to break away from their bad image from years past during the time that Elisa booked her stay there, albeit not in the best way as a lot of the claimed amenities seemed to be unavailable or faulty and other information of certain interest was withheld), but going so far as to have rooftop dining and a rooftop pool seems to me to not just be trying to be renovated and more upscale and draw people's minds AWAY from the tragedies that happened there, but instead a way to perversely indulge people's thoughts about the tragedy itself. I just can't believe if this wasn't intentional that no one involved was like "Wait a minute, don't you think this could look bad? Maybe we should invest in something else."
    Me too. It sort of boggles the mind.
    -------------------
  • ROBINROBIN Member
    The Hotel Cecil has two - most of the lower rooms are key cards such as Elisa's. The upper floors have keys so some of the long term residents still use keys along with some of the other rooms.

This article I just found says that when the remodeling is done, guests will be able to eat on the rooftop.
    This part alone was enough for me to be like "Wow, that sounds terrible." but then I saw where the article mentioned a rooftop pool and I'm just speechless...
    i wonder if the pool water then connects to the taps in people's rooms... come on... these guys didnt think this through at all???
    ROBIN said:
    The Hotel Cecil has two - most of the lower rooms are key cards such as Elisa's. The upper floors have keys so some of the long term residents still use keys along with some of the other rooms.

so different parts of the hotel work in different ways?
    anon said:
    i ran across this forum which is definitely worth checking out:http://www.earthsongforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14427&page=3 where a woman named 'Lady of the trees' is talking about a maintainence man at the hotel who's worked there for 30+ years had attended ALL of the funerals of every patron who ever died mysteriously in the Cecil and on page 1 of this forum she talks about some extremely pushy guy who wanted to show her around the city

anon said:
    shes involved with every single death at the hotel???? can you tell us more, the details of it all so we dont have to read it all there
  • ROBINROBIN Member
    anon said:
    ROBIN said:

so different parts of the hotel work in different ways?
    Yup certainly does. I think it was just that some of the locks were old and they undertook a minor upgrade re safety at the time.
    edited March 19
    anon said:
    anon said:

anon said:
    shes involved with every single death at the hotel???? can you tell us more, the details of it all so we dont have to read it all there
    The other anon was saying that the woman on the forum (LadyoftheTrees) said a maintenance man had attended all the funerals of the patrons of the Cecil who died. Not the woman herself. Here's the direct quote:

"Apparently a maintainence man at the hotel who's worked there for 30+ years had attended ALL of the funerals of every patron who ever died mysteriously in the Cecil. He is currently being held by LAPD and investigated in the death of Ms. Lam. He is part owner and people are saying that they (he and the other guy), may have been perpetuating the creepiness to keep the hotel in business based on peoples' morbid curiosity. Apparently they tried over and over again to get their hotel on paranormal TV shows and when that didn't pan out, Ms. Lam died approximately several months later. Weird."

Personally, I don't find that forum very credible. I don't even know if the woman truly was in the Cecil at the time she said or not - but the rest of the stuff (like the above quote) definitely sound like just hearsay to me. Especially given that people on forums such as this one who are actually very involved and dedicated to the case never mentioned some of the information they claim to have heard. And of course, given the nature of that forum, it's all going to be presented from a paranormal, spiritual, demonic entity etc. type perspective which regardless of whether you believe in that sort of thing, when looked at ONLY through that scope completely ignores lots of other important elements.
    this woman (Lady of trees) took pictures while she was in that hotel, one of pic is showing her in the mirror
    it's on the page 2 where you can find the pictures she took while she was staying there
  • anon said:
    this woman (Lady of trees) took pictures while she was in that hotel, one of pic is showing her in the mirror
    it's on the page 2 where you can find the pictures she took while she was staying there
    I saw those, but I'm just saying that we don't know for sure the actual time period of when she stayed there or the validity of other comments made in the thread - the posters themselves even presented them as rumors/news stories.
  • Hey there, folks. First time poster, slightly obsessed person. Really appreciate what you guys are doing to keep this alive.

So, apologies if this tidbit has been addressed, but I don't think it has. I've attached an image with the three most well-known pics of Elisa. This particular image comes straight from the LAPD website. (http://www.lapdonline.org/newsroom/news_view/52943) We've all seen that screencap of the elevator vid on the right, but I never see anyone question why in the hell it looks so much clearer than the actual video it was taken from. Think about that section in the footage, when she's backed into the corner. Her face completely distorts at that point. Yet, in the screencap, we can (relatively) clearly make out her features.

Well, take a closer look at this particular pic from the LAPD:

Notice the mouse cursor at the bottom left? Notice the edge of a computer screen at the top? This "screencap" is actually someone at the LAPD taking a picture of the footage being displayed on a computer monitor. And it's clearly far more crisp than the video the public was given.

I guess, for me, this at least confirms that the LAPD was 100% responsible for the butchered video. With this pic, they blow the fact that they have a clear copy, presumably with a fully readable timestamp. And I see no earthly reason that the LAPD would so badly butcher the video unless they are somehow complicit and covering their asses.
    Hey there, folks. First time poster, slightly obsessed person. Really appreciate what you guys are doing to keep this alive.

So, apologies if this tidbit has been addressed, but I don't think it has. I've attached an image with the three most well-known pics of Elisa. This particular image comes straight from the LAPD website. (http://www.lapdonline.org/newsroom/news_view/52943) We've all seen that screencap of the elevator vid on the right, but I never see anyone question why in the hell it looks so much clearer than the actual video it was taken from. Think about that section in the footage, when she's backed into the corner. Her face completely distorts at that point. Yet, in the screencap, we can (relatively) clearly make out her features.

Well, take a closer look at this particular pic from the LAPD:

Notice the mouse cursor at the bottom left? Notice the edge of a computer screen at the top? This "screencap" is actually someone at the LAPD taking a picture of the footage being displayed on a computer monitor. And it's clearly far more crisp than the video the public was given.

I guess, for me, this at least confirms that the LAPD was 100% responsible for the butchered video. With this pic, they blow the fact that they have a clear copy, presumably with a fully readable timestamp. And I see no earthly reason that the LAPD would so badly butcher the video unless they are somehow complicit and covering their asses.
    Welcome to the website, MrPennington. 

Fantastic find. It does seem far more crisp than what we were privy to, doesn't it?
    -------------------
    Well spotted, Mr. Pennington.
    At a guess, maybe because the photograph of the screen was the actual original footage they viewed direct from the source tape, and the video on Youtube was a copy given to journalist Dennis Romero that then lost some resolution from being copied and then uploaded. Sometimes on Youtube if you upload a video in a format not favoured by Youtube it comes out noticeably worse than the original.
    I'm not trying to defend the LAPD, I understand they're not known for being the most moral people in the world, but I feel that detectives Greg Stearns and Wallace Tennelle really did work hard on the case after meeting the Lam family and feeling genuinely saddened by the disappearance and death of their daughter.
  • hunterhunter Member
    Interesting premise MrPennington!

I have no logical  theory regarding the apparent discrepancy in video quality?
    That would be a very good question for the LAPD to explain.
    I have stared at the expression on Elisa's face at that moment in time and can't quite put me finger in it....apprehension, curiosity, resignation, fear?  I don't know.  

Also, many people claim the girl in the elevator is not Elisa Lam but I do see some similarities.
    composite.jpg 614.8K
  • Matt_ADMIN_ said:

Fantastic find. It does seem far more crisp than what we were privy to, doesn't it?
    Thanks!

I guess I'm here, so I might as well put my overall theory into the hat: Some dirtbag cop did this to her, probably one working night security at the Cecil, THAT'S who she's talking to / evading, and THAT'S who's in the missing minute.

Some things to consider, now that we can know with a fair amount of certainty that the LAPD doctored the video:

1) If the police were trying to protect the identity of someone in the footage who'd been cleared as a suspect, why wouldn't they have simply blurred that person's face instead of suspiciously removing footage? In what scenario would you need to totally remove someone from a piece of footage to keep them from being identified? Perhaps if they were dressed head to toe in an identifying uniform.

2) This cop didn't simply walk past the camera. That doesn't take 54 seconds. Something significant happened for 54 seconds. Best case scenario for him, the footage shows him simply standing in the frame, maybe talking to Elisa, maybe chatting on his walkie talkie. Not so good for him? The 54 seconds show a struggle. REAL BAD for him? The 54 seconds show the murder.

3) The video is 100% worthless as an investigative tool, and the LAPD surely knew this. They didn't have to release a video at all. It's not like they're obligated to satisfy the public's curiosity. If the goal had truly been to locate a missing person, wouldn't a video of two unidentified men handing her a mystery box be far more useful than a video of her using the elevator in a hotel we already knew she was staying at? So, the video is serving someone else, and if you can find out who that is, I think you've caught the rat.

I could go on all night, but those are three major points that jump to mind in light of this photo.
  • ROBINROBIN Member
    Matt_ADMIN_ said:

Thanks!

I guess I'm here, so I might as well put my overall theory into the hat: Some dirtbag cop did this to her, probably one working night security at the Cecil, THAT'S who she's talking to / evading, and THAT'S who's in the missing minute.

Some things to consider, now that we can know with a fair amount of certainty that the LAPD doctored the video:

1) If the police were trying to protect the identity of someone in the footage who'd been cleared as a suspect, why wouldn't they have simply blurred that person's face instead of suspiciously removing footage? In what scenario would you need to totally remove someone from a piece of footage to keep them from being identified? Perhaps if they were dressed head to toe in an identifying uniform.

2) This cop didn't simply walk past the camera. That doesn't take 54 seconds. Something significant happened for 54 seconds. Best case scenario for him, the footage shows him simply standing in the frame, maybe talking to Elisa, maybe chatting on his walkie talkie. Not so good for him? The 54 seconds show a struggle. REAL BAD for him? The 54 seconds show the murder.

3) The video is 100% worthless as an investigative tool, and the LAPD surely knew this. They didn't have to release a video at all. It's not like they're obligated to satisfy the public's curiosity. If the goal had truly been to locate a missing person, wouldn't a video of two unidentified men handing her a mystery box be far more useful than a video of her using the elevator in a hotel we already knew she was staying at? So, the video is serving someone else, and if you can find out who that is, I think you've caught the rat.

I could go on all night, but those are three major points that jump to mind in light of this photo.
    It has been security all along involved in this case, and I suspect its not one person but two.

Also you will note in the two photos above how Elisa has her zip on her tops, almost identical. However in 99% of her photos you can see her ears, but in this lift footage you cannot. It signifies her taking no preparation which she did her walkabout the Cecil.
  • hunter said:
    Interesting premise MrPennington!

I have no logical  theory regarding the apparent discrepancy in video quality?
    That would be a very good question for the LAPD to explain.
    I have stared at the expression on Elisa's face at that moment in time and can't quite put me finger in it....apprehension, curiosity, resignation, fear?  I don't know.  

Also, many people claim the girl in the elevator is not Elisa Lam but I do see some similarities.
    I mean, I don't know about you, but I've had plenty of instances of walking into a grocery store, looking up at the security monitors and thinking, "Who's that fat ass- Ohhhh crap, it's ME." You never look weirder than in security cam footage. So yeah, I don't doubt that's her.

And that's also what makes it almost impossible to read her emotions, even in the clearer pic. Personally, I see a slight scowl. I think she's either totally out of it or a mix of sleep-deprived/anxious. Her eyes look lifeless to me.

• ROBIN said:
    It has been security all along involved in this case, and I suspect its not one person but two.
    What makes you think two, curiously?
    just learned april 19 is kinda like the beginning of "blood sacrifice" rituals, i guess a big deal. pretty sure i've read several reports of the body being "void of any blood". not 100% tho. another um......ka--winky-dink?
    to say the video is 100% worthless, i agree with where you are going with that mrpennington..but your post was commenting on a still from the vid so i agree with what i believe is the intent of your statement but not trying to speak for you and no disrespect meant either. i would say the video is 100% worthless in regards to the actual content. it's worthless to speculate if she's on drugs. is she off her meds?. whatever. there are things we can learn from the video, and mostly, as odd as it sounds, by not actually "watching" her(the video). like the time stamp was a good spot. we learned that, and your mouse on your part was spot on as well. speculation of the 54 seconds to me seems a futile effort as we don't really have any "benchmark" to work off of. without knowing that, there could be more splices, additions, etc. just not noticable because they were seamless? idk. this case has the tendancy to make one want to overspeculate and run wild and some things should be considered more probably than others. if the identity of someone involved was saved from the cut, it would seem too risky to even release a video and especially so if LE was involved in any way. like it was said, they don't have that obligation. probable cause for the monkeying with video is too construct what could be presented to the public as a girl "off her meds" / "acting weird" ..y'know..like the media reported..there was immediate focus on the pills aspect of this. that should be more suspect. also very suspect are the two "loose" amphetamine pills reportedly were hers that were not on the autopsy list of her officially prescribed meds. although prescribed rather easily, hers were not, and i know for a fact that ever since the crackdown on the pill market, the amphetamine(adderal) are very expensive and hard to find. that should speak volumes. and much more could be learned from research into what she was prescribed. what kind of cocktail was it, and the person who prescribed to her.(i looked into it a bit but thee doctor is another ghost) you can find her name in the autopsy. last, a friendly reminder that the autopsy is the only "official" record that can be referenced to in a court of law. everything else is smoke and mirror. i have posted discrepancies contained therein and not one comment. back to the video then eh?

• mclarenmclaren Member
    Anon Posting down?
    mclaren said:
    Anon Posting down?
    It's up and running
    -------------------
    @MrPennington ;

Some incredibly interesting insights. If you can in fact share them all day long, you should, because these added perspectives are important.
    -------------------
  • Personally, I kind of prefer it when anon posting is offline. Not because I don't want the other users posting, but over the week or so I've been a member on here I have found it a lot easier to keep up with everything in the discussion when everyone is a member, like Matt and others said before...

Anyway, lots of points in above posts I want to address, so I'm not gonna directly quote anyone.

First of all, regarding the quality of the still of Elisa from the CCTV footage released from LAPD, I always assumed that either a) like another user said above, they have the original source file in a clearer quality and for whatever reason the resolution dropped in the matter in which it was released to the public or b) they actually used some type of photo enhancement tool that LE has been known to have and use when needed on the still in order to try and more clearly depict that it was Elisa.

As far as why the chose to release the elevator footage to the public, I definitely do think it was because they thought she was acting very strange, it sensationalized the case to the media, and that at the time they actually thought that it might help locate her if someone had known that she had for instance taken drugs at a party or something, or knew to be on the lookout for a girl matching her description in the area who seemed not in her right mind or off her medication. I don't think they ever intended people to react to it in the paranormal demonic possession type way that so many did, and I'm not sure if anyone in LE thought it looked like maybe she was talking to someone off camera (in the "doctored" footage) like so many ended up thinking. It's also worth noting that at the time most people didn't know as much about her, her past, her posts, etc. as we do now, so all of these things we've gathered over literally years weren't in the forefront of people's minds at that time.

As to why they didn't release the footage of the two men with the box... We only have one informal stuttery quote about that footage's existence in the first place, and he didn't sound too alarmed. I think if we did actually see the footage that we wouldn't be so worried about it anymore. It was probably quite obviously a nonthreatening box, or something like the two men wearing clearly marked uniforms from some store or restaurant or service that Elisa ordered herself. I know people are going to say it would clear the air and make things look less like a cover up if they would just release it after the fact, but it really does seem like they do not want to go back and address this case anymore, and I think perhaps the family doesn't want anything else brought to light. I do wonder why they didn't interview the source of the service if they had that information at the time originally, (or the roommates for that matter - always been a troubling thing for me that there is such little information about who they were and what her "odd" behavior was - seems perfect source for interview. It makes you wonder if anyone would ever be allowed to come forward about it online and how we would ever even be able to believe it wasn't someone just lying if they did.) considering they interviewed the woman from the bookstore.

But as I mentioned about her family, I'm sure they saw the CCTV footage in the elevator in the clearest possible resolution, confirmed it was her, and after some encouraging from the LAPD and thinking it would actually help identify her (and knowing full well of her mental problems, but not the details we now all know from her personal postings online that they hadn't seen at the time and possibly still have avoided), probably reluctantly released the footage to the public, considering how private they have been about everything else. I know lots of people have said they don't think it was Elisa in the footage for one reason or another, but considering how different she looks in so many different pictures that are without a doubt her and the fact that surely her family confirmed it as her, I think it's safe to say it's Elisa. From different hairstyles to whether she is wearing glasses to weight fluctuations to age to just something like the lighting or angle, she looks rather different from some pictures to some other pictures, as most of us do. I think the bone structure definitely looks like her in her other pictures from 2011-2013.

I also still find it odd about the missing 54 seconds. That is quite a long time. I always assumed she just wasn't in frame at those times because she stepped out, or she was just standing still, maybe even with her back turned which wouldn't help further identify her, and they wanted to only release footage that made it seem odd and strange so the media would latch on. The only thing that makes that seem a little odd still to me is that they leave so many seconds at the end of the elevator opening and closing without her there. I guess maybe to show that for whatever reason the elevator started functioning again after she left despite it not working when she was in frame, or maybe just because that was a blank chunk at the end and not right in the middle of the noteworthy frames. I don't think most media outlets broadcast much of the ending frames anyway.

All of the opinions/speculations I've posted are just that, my own opinions and speculations. Not trying to say anything anyone else has posted is wrong or that I'm correct at all, just posting my thoughts.

And lastly, as far as her having Adderall, she posted about being prescribed it here:

http://nouvelle-nouveau.tumblr.com/post/22304102762/moreits-still-odd-to-me-that-people-are-so

"Next to it is dexedrine, perhaps known more popularly as Adderall. Apparently I have ADHD so shrinky dink has been so kind to prescribe some saying it will help with my concentration. I haven’t taken it yet but at this point….I shouldn’t resist. "
  • mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator
    Personally, I kind of prefer it when anon posting is offline. Not because I don't want the other users posting, but over the week or so I've been a member on here I have found it a lot easier to keep up with everything in the discussion when everyone is a member, like Matt and others said before...

It is nice isn't it? The irony is it's just as easy to make a User Name as it is to sign on as ANON lol 
    Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
    edited March 20
    Personally, I kind of prefer it when anon posting is offline. Not because I don't want the other users posting, but over the week or so I've been a member on here I have found it a lot easier to keep up with everything in the discussion when everyone is a member, like Matt and others said before...

It is nice isn't it? The irony is it's just as easy to make a User Name as it is to sign on as ANON lol 
    I thought it would be more involved when I first came across the forum and posted my first few posts as anon, then finally decided that if I was going to stay in this I should make an account - and it took all of 5 seconds.

I think some people don't want the weight of what they say to be directly linked to them (even if it's just a made up screen name) or they're actually going back and forth as two different anons having a "discussion" or giving contradictory information sometimes, lol.
    We've had some new readers here, so I would like to pose the question again: Does anyone here live in British Columbia, particularly in Burnaby?
    -------------------
    edited March 20
    mclaren said:
    anon said:
    mclaren said:
    mclaren said:
    Anon Posting down?
    It's up and running
    not here log out and try
    This is me (Matt) posting anonymously - are you logging in as "anon" and using password "1234"?
    on the login page it says use password "anon1234" not just 1234, it dont matter to me anyhow iv got an account now you can delete my posts regrading it to not clutter this thread.
    Oh shoot - thanks for mentioning that, I'll change it now. I forgot to change it after making the adjustment.

I'll leave this one post up just in case people were having trouble.
    -------------------
  • ridlahridlah Member
    We've had some new readers here, so I would like to pose the question again: Does anyone here live in British Columbia, particularly in Burnaby?
    If I failed to make it clear before, this is where I live/work/sleuth.
    ridlah said:
    If I failed to make it clear before, this is where I live/work/sleuth.
    Right, right - my brain gets overwhelmed by the sheer number of news stories. I'm trying to convince someone to verify her burial plot, since that's strangely something that remains up in the air (location, existence, etc). 
    -------------------
  • ROBINROBIN Member
    If you leave your room with your keycard then that implies you are planning on returning to your room at some point.

That in itself is a clue and cause for suspicion.
  • Y'know, I guess it's possible that the video originally shared on the LAPD website - which no longer exists - was the unedited version, and they only mucked it all up before handing it over to Romero, knowing it would get circulated all over the internet. Is there any possible way to exhume the video that was originally posted on the LAPD site?
  • Something else, regarding the quality: I think back to the first video capture/editing software I ever owned, back in 2004. It was called Video Explosion, and it was as consumer-grade as it gets. Furthermore, I had no idea what I was doing and captured Hi8 footage in the most crude, inefficient manner possible. It would result in an embarrassingly low-res, blown-out video that sounded like it was playing through a toilet paper roll. I still have some of those old captures...and none of them look NEARLY as damaged as the elevator video. In fact, some of those old captures include timestamps, embedded in the videos. They look like total garbage, and yet they're still fully readable.

All to say: I think that to make a video look that bad, you've gotta want it.
    Y'know, I guess it's possible that the video originally shared on the LAPD website - which no longer exists - was the unedited version, and they only mucked it all up before handing it over to Romero, knowing it would get circulated all over the internet. Is there any possible way to exhume the video that was originally posted on the LAPD site?

Hacker needed on crisisforums.org
    Anyone ?
    I think an ordinary collection of physical evidence could do the trick just as well
    -------------------
  • @Matt_ADMIN_ ;

If we could somehow exhume a clear copy of the video, that'd be an important piece of evidence, wouldn't it? Even if it ends up showing nothing, I think that'd be inherently of interest to all of us.
    @Matt_ADMIN_ ;

If we could somehow exhume a clear copy of the video, that'd be an important piece of evidence, wouldn't it? Even if it ends up showing nothing, I think that'd be inherently of interest to all of us.
    Certainly - perhaps some sort of FOIA request could accomplish this?
    -------------------
  • Certainly - perhaps some sort of FOIA request could accomplish this?
    Mm, always worth a try, but doubtful. I believe John Lordan and the folks working on this new documentary did recently file such a request and were denied. My thought was: if someone knows how to access the dead video on the LAPD page, it may be a clearer version. It certainly wouldn't show any foul play, as they would've never posted that publicly. But even a crisper version of what we have, possibly with an intact timestamp, would be of huge interest.
  • I'm trying to think of what physical evidence we could possibly collect. A photo of the gravesite would finally 100% confirm that we haven't been duped; that's doable, but wouldn't get us any closer to an explanation. Have we looked into any kind of phone records at all? I'm still REALLY bothered by this magically vanished phone. And computer.
  • I'm trying to think of what physical evidence we could possibly collect. A photo of the gravesite would finally 100% confirm that we haven't been duped; that's doable, but wouldn't get us any closer to an explanation. Have we looked into any kind of phone records at all? I'm still REALLY bothered by this magically vanished phone. And computer.
    Her valuables, including her laptop, were found in the basement. The only thing that was missing was the phone. I'm curious about that too, but idk if it's a possible to have phone records without her phone.. I'm not sure.

From the post that her friends and her ex have made, I'm sure we haven't been duped.

Oop, I just remembered.. she said she lost -a- phone while out a The Varnish (I'm assuming). 

http://nouvelle-nouveau.tumblr.com/post/41596157293/more-the-speakeasy-was-awesome-except-i-lost
  • So, wait.. they were FOUND in the basement or they were MOVED to the basement?
    There are many claims about the valuables, where they were found, where they were moved to, but none have ever been corroborated. We basically have to trust the LAPD and the Cecil staff to believe this these claims are true.

-------------------
    edited March 22
    Check out the website rules when you get a moment, guys. Let's avoid linking to for-profit projects regarding Elisa Lam that are asking for money. 

-------------------
  • @Matt_ADMIN_ Doesn't it help our cause to support a documentary aiming to shake out new information about the case? It's not like it's a fundraiser for The Bringing.
    edited March 22
    @Matt_ADMIN_ Doesn't it help our cause to support a documentary aiming to shake out new information about the case? It's not like it's a fundraiser for The Bringing.
    While it does support the case of EL, one of the very few rules we have is to avoid unauthorized selling/advertising/proselytizing. This is due to the wide range of issues in the past we've had with such things. We'd rather not go down that slippery slope, and so the staff decided it would be best to keep the site free from fundraising type ventures in all cases. It's a complex issue, but I assure you it's for good reason 

PS I like your new avatar 
    Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
  • @mrpops09_CMOD_ Fair enough. Apologies.

P.S. Thanks!
    @mrpops09_CMOD_ Fair enough. Apologies.

P.S. Thanks!
    No worries at all MrPennington. Happens to the best of us  :plus_one:
    Hey guys. I read all this up to page 5 and I couldn't stop wondering... why are you guys completely ruling out the paranormal factor? 
    Is it because you guys don't believe in these things or maybe you think there has to be a logical reason to all this? 
    I've experienced some paranormal stuff myself. If anything, her hand movements were not normal. 
    Also, FYI, if anyone is to die from such things or even suffer from it the government will automatically label it as unstable mental health or being bipolar/schizophrenic. They'll throw in some drug names to explain the bizarre behavior and get it over with. 
    What if she chose that specific hotel for its notorious background of paranormal activities and what not? 

Just my two cents. 
    anon said:
    Hey guys. I read all this up to page 5 and I couldn't stop wondering... why are you guys completely ruling out the paranormal factor? 
    Is it because you guys don't believe in these things or maybe you think there has to be a logical reason to all this? 
    I've experienced some paranormal stuff myself. If anything, her hand movements were not normal. 
    Also, FYI, if anyone is to die from such things or even suffer from it the government will automatically label it as unstable mental health or being bipolar/schizophrenic. They'll throw in some drug names to explain the bizarre behavior and get it over with. 
    What if she chose that specific hotel for its notorious background of paranormal activities and what not? 

Just my two cents. 
    Certainly interesting possibilities. In truth, we shouldn't rule anything out, because unless it can be proven that the paranormal had no role, objectively it should remain in the mix. 

I suppose it's also important to remember that "paranormal" doesn't necessarily mean ghosts and goblins, but incorporates a huge spectrum of activities and events that may simply reside beyond our understanding, hence "para" normal - indeed, all angles should be covered. 
    -------------------
  • ROBINROBIN Member
    One point - We have always assumed the room mates where English speaking. Maybe they for example were Japanese or from somewhere else which culturally may explain why no one has ever spoken about Elisa's actions and the reason why they requested her to be moved.
    Has there ever been a full inventory of all her "online" friends?
    -------------------
  • hunterhunter Member
    edited March 23
    anon said:

Just my two cents. 
    I think the reason the paranormal has been downplayed (as least for me), is that all of her social media documentation, going back to Ether Fields 6/25/10 all the way leading up to her her "West Coast Tour", she has not written hardly anything about paranormal experiences, ET's, or secret societies.  It became apparent from the start that she was into fashion, friendships, love interests, travel, and school.  None of her friends, family, LAPD, or media coverage ever seriously considered it as a cause of her actions or death.

• hunterhunter Member
    anon said:
    Call me evil but I think it would make a compelling film.  My only hope is that if it ever gets made, they reference Elisa Lam at the start or end and say it was inspired by an unsolved murder.  
    Oh, so you guys are ruling out paranormal reasons cause of her blog entries?
    I mean, if someone is experiencing something they might not share it or what if she got attacked/possessed while she was there or even on the last night? 
    Honestly, the more I read the more it sounds like you're running around in circles. 
    Sometimes you question something that was answered on let's say page 2. 
    I don't mean to shove my own theory down anyone's throat but not everything in this world has a rational explanation behind it. 
    Autopsy reports and pictures will show up on the internet after a while UNLESS the government doesn't want anyone to see.  
    They don't care if her organs were harvested or if she was skinned and left to bleed to death. There has been reports of such cases on TV before. 
    I repeat, once something connects to paranormal and demonic possession the government will chalk it up to something stupid like mental illness then they will never bring it up depending on how severe it was. 
    If something happens, no matter how strange or inexplicable, it is by definition normal. Hence, there is nothing paranormal in nature/the universe/existence.
    The word 'paranormal' is an oxymoron.