Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CURRENT GLOBAL VISITORS (CLICK GLOBE)
D-FOX: PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY

If you can read this message, please contact us immediately at the following email address:

thecomingcrisis@gmail.com

We'd like to communicate.

D-FOX

WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

Atomic scientists set to make 'major announcement' about Doomsday Clock

It hasn't moved in three years, but the symbolic Doomsday Clock's minute hand could be about edge closer to midnight.

The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists (BAS) will host a live international news conference on Thursday to reveal its latest decision regarding the minute hand of the clock.

The last time the clock's minute hand was adjusted was in January 2012, when it pushed ahead one minute, from six to five minutes before midnight.

The conference will begin at 4pm GMT (11am EST) on 22 January 2015.

It is expected that key topics to be discussed at the event will include evidence of accelerating climate change, terrorism and nuclear modernisation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2919889/Is-end-world-nigh-Atomic-scientists-set-make-major-announcement-Doomsday-Clock.html

"Before you embark on a Journey of Revenge, Dig Two Graves" Confucius (504 bc)
“The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.”
"If angry, count to ten. This will give you time to find a weapon." - Will Spencer

Comments

• mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator
    I'm interested to hear the update if anyone happens by it tomorrow 
    Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
  • Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    I'm also very interested in hearing about it.
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • justacruzr2justacruzr2 Member, Permitted to post new threads
    Count me in too.  I'd guess about a 2 minute move ahead.
    Count me in too.  I'd guess about a 2 minute move ahead.
    Awesome profile pic and band.  \m/
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • coouurtcoouurt Member, Permitted to post new threads
    anxiously awaiting here too...
    “The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.” Friendrich Nietzsche

@ Matt

Thanks.  Just sent Rosie the song "We Took The Wrong Step Years Ago" last night.  Didn't know you knew who they were.  They were definitely not mainstream and probably not that well known except for their cult following.  I have their first 6 albums.  Mr favorites are In Search of Space, Doremi Fasol Latido and Space Ritual.
    edited January 2015
    @ Matt

Thanks.  Just sent Rosie the song "We Took The Wrong Step Years Ago" last night.  Didn't know you knew who they were.  They were definitely not mainstream and probably not that well known except for their cult following.  I have their first 6 albums.  Mr favorites are In Search of Space, Doremi Fasol Latido and Space Ritual.

In this super important and totally not a waste of time class I took in college called
    Experimental Rock of the 60's and 70's /sarcasm We looked at Hawkwind.,.. If You like them, you may also like Captain Beefheart 

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
  • The last announcement of Doomsday Clock was January 14, 2014 where it stayed the same, 5 minutes to midnight.   Must go listen to justacruzr2's song now!

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

@ Matt

I have a friend whose father listened to Hawkwind, and he introduced me to them, and I found them very interesting. I'm a big fan of stuff that breaks the mould, especially in music and film. 
    -------------------
    edited January 2015
    @mrpops09_CMOD @justacruzr2 ;

Re: Cpt Beefhart and beyond 

Good stuff. I'm of the opinion that when these bands broke the mould (or never started with the mould to begin with), they produced some pretty amazing stuff. In fact, probably some of the most thought-provoking stuff that's ever been made, which we don't see a lot of these days out of fear on the part of artists.

One example is the movie "THX" by George Lucas. Phenomenal, and the completely opposite of what Star Wars turned into.

Another example, a musical one, is this:

Listen to it all if you ever get a moment. Wear a hair net to catch the debris of your mind post-explosion. 
    -------------------
    The last announcement of Doomsday Clock was January 14, 2014 where it stayed the same, 5 minutes to midnight.   Must go listen to justacruzr2's song now!
    I wonder if it will stay the same again, or if they'll budge it. Be sure to listen to my "New Order" video above as well when you get a moment.
    -------------------
  • tazweisstazweiss Member, Permitted to post new threads

So these scientists are going to make an annou.... ooooohhhh look, a butterfly.

Can we say -attention deficit disorder-.  I actually thought this thread was going to be a discussion about the doomsday clock, not obscure rock bands.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

edited January 2015

@tazweiss said:

Can we say -attention deficit disorder-.  I actually thought this thread was going to be a discussion about the doomsday clock, not obscure rock bands.

Taz, how about you jump into your time machine and let us know what the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists committee delivers as it's announcement tomorrow. We're clearly all slacking here. 

P.S.

-------------------

HA! You're right...that was kinda my bad for getting us off topic...it was a pretty butterfly though....In a few more hours, we should have the results 
    For Taz

• tazweisstazweiss Member, Permitted to post new threads
    Ah ah ah, I didn't say everyone was slacking.  I will go out on a limb however and predict that they won't say a word about rock music.  In fact, I'll really stick my neck out and predict that they will actually talk about the doomsday clock and why they're making adjustments to it.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

• Synchronise your watches and drum roll please! Wait for it.........

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

• Lynsey_ADMIN_Lynsey_ADMIN_ Administrator
    “The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.”
    "If angry, count to ten. This will give you time to find a weapon." - Will Spencer
  • chicomonchicomon Member, Permitted to post new threads
    Worsening climate change seemed to be a main factor in the decision to bump the clock two minutes ahead, to 11:57 p.m, along with the proliferation of nuclear weapons.

Quitting smoking is easy.  I have done it hundreds times.
    ~~Mark Twain

Worsening climate change seemed to be a main factor in the decision to bump the clock two minutes ahead, to 11:57 p.m, along with the proliferation of nuclear weapons.

Nice, Chicomon wins +1 in awesomeness 
    http://crisisforums.org/discussion/28631/senate-votes-that-climate-change-is-no-hoax-well-i-am-glad-they-cleared-that-up-for-us#latest

We all (I think?) agree climate change has been a buzzword and used for a political agenda, so what does everyone think of it being the main factor in the move to two minutes to midnight?
    “The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.” Friendrich Nietzsche

by the time the EU has finished their fanatical plans we will be at midnight

http://crisisforums.org/discussion/28631/senate-votes-that-climate-change-is-no-hoax-well-i-am-glad-they-cleared-that-up-for-us#latest

We all (I think?) agree climate change has been a buzzword and used for a political agenda, so what does everyone think of it being the main factor in the move to two minutes to midnight?
    conflict, social unrest & a complete lack of trust in political parties in the west and failing economies, this has lead to 2 world wars .. the same is happening again
    @ mrpops

I heard of them back in the day but don't remember if I ever actually heard any of their music.  Some others were Captain Beyond, Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters (album by Robert Calvert, the former frontman of British space-rock band Hawkwind.) and King Crimson.  These I actually have.  Had a friend who would search the import section at the music store to find unusual things.  Sometimes they were good...sometimes not.

@ Matt

Sounds like my friend above.  Our little group was open to almost anything that was cool and different.

@ tazweiss

That's what happens here sometimes.  Look at how the Holhuran volcanoe thread went right off the side.  Anyway, this is just chatter till we get the results.

@ chicomon

Thanks for the update.  Seems my guess was right.

"Count me in too.  I'd guess about a 2 minute move ahead."

Sorry this comment is late.

"Count me in too.  I'd guess about a 2 minute move ahead."

Sorry this comment is late.
    At least have the honesty to admit that you're sitting on Bulletin of Atomic Scientists committee. Don't be humble.
    -------------------
  • In climate change are they referring to Fukushima? What's happened and is still occurring could make a swifter change than anything else affecting the climate especially regarding the food chain which ultimately includes us.  Even acts of war can cause climate change.

• gregasgregas Member, Permitted to post new threads
    it can cause nuclea winter
    “One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.” ― Nikola Tesla
    @ Matt

Alright...point taken (hangs head in shame).
    edited January 2015

.... Good point I was addressing the symptom not the cause.

conflict, social unrest & a complete lack of trust in political parties in the west and failing economies, this has lead to 2 world wars .. the same is happening again

• Rosie_MOD_Rosie_MOD_ Moderator
    edited January 2015

Doomsday clock inches forward to three minutes from catastrophic midnight

The end of civilisation is nigh, according to ‘doomsayers’. Picture: Thinkstock.

The end of civilisation is nigh, according to ‘doomsayers’. Picture: Thinkstock.
    Source: News Limited

DOOMSAYERS, prepare your bunkers. The ‘Doomsday Clock’ is ticking.

The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, a group founded by the creators
    of the atomic bomb, say the world is now three minutes from a
    catastrophic midnight and the closest it has been in 30 years.The
    clock moved forward two minutes, citing global warming and the
    proliferation of nuclear weaponry as the world’s greatest threats.

Atomic testing in the 1950s saw the Doomsday Clock move closer to midnight than it has ev

Atomic testing in the 1950s saw the
    Doomsday Clock move closer to midnight than it has ever been. Picture
    shows testing in the Australian outback.

Source: News Corp Australia

“This is about Doomsday; this is about the end of civilisation as we
    know it,” Bulletin executive director Kennette Benedict said.“The
    probability of global catastrophe is very high, and the actions needed
    to reduce the risks of disaster must be taken very soon.”The
    Bulletin of Atomic Scientists was created in 1945 and the clock first
    appeared two years later on the Bulletin’s magazine cover. The minute
    hand has moved as far from midnight as 17 minutes (1991) but was once
    just two minutes away (1953).

The last time the clock was at three minutes to midnight was in 1983 during the Cold War between the US and the Soviet Union.Richard
    Somerville, a member of the 20-member board of scientists at the
    Bulletin, said the burning of fossil fuels will lead to a “major
    climatic disruption globally”.‘The urgency has nothing to do with politics or ideology,” Dr Somerville said.“It arises from the laws of physics and biology and chemistry”.http://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/doomsday-clock-inches-forward-to-three-minutes-from-catastrophic-midnight/story-fnjwvztl-1227194078445

edited January 2015
    they're blaming the burning of fossil fuels! That doesn't even include nuclear! Are we being distracted from something?

• chicomonchicomon Member, Permitted to post new threads
    This clock is symbolic, designed by men who seek to make a statement.  It has been close to midnight and it has been further away. Times change the same as the will of men change.  WE have the ability to determine our fate, but it becomes increasingly difficult.  As our numbers grow, so grows our differences.  What happens is inevitable and cannot change. So what lies before us is as it needs to be.  2015 will bring much change; I wish the best outcome to you and yours.
    Quitting smoking is easy.  I have done it hundreds times.
    ~~Mark Twain

edited January 2015
    @ Matt

Alright...point taken (hangs head in shame).
    This website has predicted a number of interesting things, so you've just joined a prestigious club. In fact, unless I'm mistaken, I think it's actually been a while since anyone has preemptively called anything with such accuracy. 

Just don't become too accurate. The men in the black sedans are always watching.
    -------------------
    edited January 2015

Doomsday Clock moved closer to midnight after rising threat from climate change, nuclear arsenals

Updated
    about 7 hours agoFri 23 Jan 2015, 8:24am from 

Doomsday Clock is updated

Photo:

Scientists speak during a press conference after updating the
    Doomsday Clock in Washington from five minutes to midnight to three
    minutes to midnight. (AFP: Win McNamee/Getty Images)

Rising threats from climate change and nuclear
    arsenals prompted the scientists who maintain the Doomsday Clock, a
    symbolic countdown to global catastrophe, to move it two minutes closer
    to midnight on Thursday, its first shift in three years.

The
    Doomsday Clock, devised by the Chicago-based Bulletin of the Atomic
    Scientists, now stands at three minutes to midnight, or doomsday.

It
    has been adjusted 18 times since its creation in 1947. It has been set
    as close as two minutes to midnight, in 1953 when the United States
    tested a hydrogen bomb, and as far as 17 minutes from midnight, in 1991
    as the Cold War expired.

It was last adjusted in January 2012, when it was moved one minute closer to midnight.

"Today,
    unchecked climate change and a nuclear arms race resulting from
    modernisation of huge arsenals pose extraordinary and undeniable threats
    to the continued existence of humanity," Bulletin executive director
    Kennette Benedict told a news conference.

The change was announced less than a week after US scientists announced that 2014 was Earth's hottest on record, with researchers pointing to human emissions of greenhouse gases as the main cause.

Mr
    Benedict said world leaders have failed to act with the speed or on the
    scale necessary to protect against potential catastrophe, and the
    adjustment in the clock was intended to inspire action.

"These failures of leadership endanger every person on Earth," Mr Benedict said.

Read More:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-23/doomsday-clock-moved-closer-to-midnight/6040208

• Are we manufacturing too much stuff?  It's not only heating, cooling and transport that use up fossil fuels. It's also the manufacturing process.  The bigger earth's population the more products we need to satisfy their needs. Should we demand less goods. If we demand less goods unemployment will rise. If unemployment rises the economy will implode. What is the answer?

edited January 2015

This website has predicted a number of interesting things, so you've just joined a prestigious club. In fact, unless I'm mistaken, I think it's actually been a while since anyone has preemptively called anything with such accuracy. 

Just don't become too accurate. The men in the black sedans are always watching.
    What do I win?  (kidding).  So that's who's been parked down the street.  I've been wondering.