WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

China -Power comparisons with Japan US Vietnam Phillipines

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

Comments

• Figures elsewhere indicate USA globally has a much larger force than indicated above.
    Carrier Strike group detail above perhaps refers to the one based in or around Japan.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_strike_group

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    The number of aircraft China possesses is certainly startling, as is the number of submarines. I bet a comparison of the number of anti-X missiles would be equally as illuminating.
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • Farmer_Sean_DEP_Farmer_Sean_DEP_ Member, Moderator
    That's pretty interesting.  From what I can see, the Chinese air force has about 450 4th and 4.5th-generation fighters and a further 120 or so 4th generation fighter-bombers.  Stacked up against the entire US air force that's not much of a threat, but it sure beats the Japanese Defense Force F-15s and Phantom IIs.  550+ modern aircraft also beat the 54 planes on a carrier, I'm thinking.

I know China is also working on 5th generation fighters and may have some in service, although that data isn't exactly forthcoming in a brief search.

This surprises me because until I saw the figures I assumed China was using refit Soviet hand-me-downs from the 70s.  Not the case.  Some of their planes:

Chengdu J-10:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chengdu_J-10

Shenyang J-11:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenyang_J-11

Xian JH-7:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xian_JH-7

Not exactly the cheap, slapped-together air force I had envisioned.
  • I think many in the west are under the same impression as we all have been till now.

I project that the West will be utterly crushed in the next war. They're still fighting using WW2 tactics, WW2 weapons systems, and a WW2 mentality. 
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator

I project that the West will be utterly crushed in the next war. They're still fighting using WW2 tactics, WW2 weapons systems, and a WW2 mentality. 

Tell that to our F16's, nuclear subs, drones, and UAV systems 
    Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
    edited November 2015
    It's true, nuclear weapons will probably the "silencing factor" that ends the war for both sides, and human civilization as we know it.

But let's be honest, F16's are ancient, and no match for new air-defense systems. An ancient Russian system shot down or damaged, not one, but two F-117's over Serbia (although there may be three, but the USAF will only admit to two), so what will happen when Western planes engage the latest S-300, 400 and 500 systems? 

What happens when ancient carrier groups go against hyper-sonic anti-ship missiles that were already smacking the sense out of Western ships in 1981 at the Falklands? I think there's going to be a lot of dead people - those carriers carry 5000 men and women apiece. 

This reminds me when the British Navy sailed towards Hong Kong in their giant battleships to put those rapscallion Japanese in their place... and were then completely annihilated by Japanese carrier-based fighters, a relatively new strategy at the time. I think we're going to witness the same clash of weapons generations in the next war, only the difference is going to be much, much bigger.

I even wonder if most of our technological systems will work during war time, since the other side now has the capability to take out satellites and hack into our systems at will. It's not that I'm rooting for the West to lose, but I simply feel it's adopting a losing strategy in a rapidly changing world.

I would even suggest that the next war will go beyond technology, and will invoke attitudinal tools that, at least seemingly, we've lost in the West. I'm not sure we have the will, let alone the moral foundation, to win such a war.

But, these are just my humble observations. God alone knows how such battles will take shape, and what their outcomes will be.

Until then, here's some humour and a happy ending to the tale of the F-117's shot down over Serbia:

Later on after the war, the pilot of the shot-down F-117, and the Serbian colonel who orchestrated its downing, met and spent some time together, and are now good friends. It goes to show who really wants these wars to be fought in the end, and who really benefits. 

Hint: It isn't you or I. 
    -------------------