WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

"It’s Way Too Easy to Hack the Hospital" - Medicine can be switched, medical devices fiddled with

X would appear no different than the real thing. But unlike the real machines, the fake devices allowed TrapX to monitor the movements of the hackers across the hospital network. After six months, TrapX concluded that all of the hospitals contained medical devices that had been infected by malware.

In several cases, the hackers “spear phished” hospital staffers, luring them into opening e-mails that appeared to come from senders they knew, which infected hospital computers when they fell for the bait. In one case, hackers penetrated the computer at a nurses’ station, and from there the malware spread throughout the network, eventually slipping into radiological machines, blood gas analyzers, and other devices. Many of the machines ran on cheap, antiquated operating systems, such as Windows XP and even Windows 2000. The hospital’s antivirus protections quickly scrubbed the computer at the nurses’ station, but the medical devices weren’t so well guarded.

Many of the hospitals that participated in the study rely on the device manufacturers to maintain security on the machines, says Carl Wright, general manager for TrapX. That service is often sporadic, he says, and tends to be reactive rather than preventive. “These medical devices aren’t presenting any indication or warning to the provider that someone is attacking it, and they can’t defend themselves at all,” says Wright, who is a former information security officer for the U.S. military.

-------------------
"...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)

Comments

• mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator
    While the viruses may have gotten into the hospital equipment, I can't see what real damage it can do if the virus is not written specifically for the code in that machine. I may be wrong. I am not a software expert by any means 
    Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
  • Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    If I were to venture a guess, I imagine it would have to be specifically written, and the writer be specifically sick in the mind to do so. 
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)