Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CURRENT GLOBAL VISITORS (CLICK GLOBE)
D-FOX: PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY

If you can read this message, please contact us immediately at the following email address:

thecomingcrisis@gmail.com

We'd like to communicate.

D-FOX

WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to posting or commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which does not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you ever need assistance, simply contact one of the staff or send us an email and we'll be glad to help.

333 whales per year? Japan fleet sails out for ‘scientific’ research despite UN ruling

333 whales per year? Japan fleet sails out for ‘scientific’ research despite UN ruling

Published time: 30 Nov, 2015 21:07
Issei Kato
© Issei Kato / Reuters
Japan’s whaling fleet is going to set sail to conduct what it calls “scientific” research, ignoring the UN court ruling and protest campaigns. Opponents of the practice fear the hundreds of whales killed in process will end up on the food market.

The fleet is due to leave for the Antarctic on Tuesday, December 1, for a three-month hunt. This is will be the first expedition since the International Court of Justice (ICJ) ruled last year that the hunts were not truly scientific.

Claims that Japan's whaling program is "scientific" are utterly bogus, and everyone knows it. #stopwhaling

— Animal Protection AU (@MoveTheWorldAU)

In a statement published on Monday, Japan’s Fisheries Agency said that four ships – a factory ship for processing whaled and three faster vessels – would depart for a “research period.” Japan plans to kill as many as 333 minke whales each year over the next twelve years

Japan filed a note to the International Whaling Commission last month, warning that it would resume whaling. Sea Shepherd and other environmental groups have turned to Australia, urging it to put more pressure on Japan.

https://www.rt.com/news/324052-japan-un-whales-antarctic/

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

Comments

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    Shame on Japan, and shame on mankind for the industrial slaughter of animals for the sake of greed. 
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • I think that the UN wasn't all that serious about their regulations or they would have made sure to put some bite into their bark.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

I think you're absolutely right. The UN isn't very serious about much of anything, it appears. The Sea Shepherd, like them or loath them, will have to do the work. 
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)

-------------------
  • I've never seen whale meat for sale here, but I asked some of my older students about it back when I was a teacher.  Some of them said whale is still popular in small coastal towns, where the old people consider it a culinary tradition.  One guy said he was served whale meat in his school cafeteria lunches once per week back in the 70s.

This whaling is definitely for the food industry, since the whale meat has to come from somewhere and these are the only whaling boats in use that we know of.
  • How Whaling Works

from how stuff works

by Alison Kim Perry

The old saying that everything tastes like chicken probably doesn't apply to whale meat. So what does it taste like? Reindeer or moose, says Slate writer Brian Palmer. Indigenous people probably didn't have a pantry full of spices to spruce up the flavor of whale meat, because consuming it centered more on survival than savoring the taste. It appears that not much has changed. In places like Norway, Iceland and Alaska, you'll find whale served with minimal seasoning, if any [source: Palmer].

Why Do We Hunt Whales?

Early man hunted whales because their meat and blubber were able to fulfill his basic survival needs. For thousands of years, the climate was too cold for many people, including the Eskimos and the indigenous people living in Greenland, to grow their own vegetables. Whale meat became breakfast, lunch and dinner. Whale blubber provided energy and vitamins A, C and D, and whale meat is rich in niacin, iron and protein [source: Tevuk]. Every part of the mammal was eaten or used to light lamps and make tools and sleds.

Consuming whale meat has also been woven into Japan's history and culture. Whale meat became a crucial part of the Japanese food supply after World War II, because it was a cheap source of protein for a country that was suffering from postwar poverty. This delicacy was even served to children in school lunches from the late 1940s to the early 1960s [source: McCurry]. However, today's Japanese youngsters aren't keen on eating whale meat just because their elders did. A Greenpeace poll conducted in the summer of 2006 by the Nippon Research Centre revealed that 95 percent of Japanese people say they never or rarely eat whale meat.

The mammal's oil also motivated whalers. Whale oil lit lamps and formed candle wax. It also found a place in margarine and other products, like additives in motor oils, automatic transmission fluids, cosmetics, perfumes, detergents and vitamins [source: Pees]. This plentiful oil allowed the commercial whaling industry to grow quickly. An average-size sperm whale could produce approximately 25 to 40 barrels of whale oil [source: Pees]. Whale oil fueled the economic growth of many nations, including the United States, Great Britain, Germany and Norway.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/conservation/issues/whaling1.htm

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

• Once the old people have all died, the demand will probably be so low that the industry will just collapse.  That is, unless they run out of whales first - Japan's old people like to stick around for a while.
  • How Whaling Works

from how stuff works

by Alison Kim Perry

This plentiful oil allowed the commercial whaling industry to grow quickly. An average-size sperm whale could produce approximately 25 to 40 barrels of whale oil [source: Pees]. Whale oil fueled the economic growth of many nations, including the United States, Great Britain, Germany and Norway.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/conservation/issues/whaling1.htm

I figure that since we can now manufacture all those products without the benefit of whale oil, there should be no need to kill them anymore.  It's profitable because there's a novelty to whale oil products.  Even the meat and blubber could probably be substituted.  They do it with other kinds of foods.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

• if the whales keep washing up in the numbers we have seen this year no need to worry about japan
    “One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.” ― Nikola Tesla
  • gregas said
    if the whales keep washing up in the numbers we have seen this year no need to worry about japan

Could be a quick trip you reckon, gregas? Must say that thought cropped up to me as well and whether they're now radioactive.  The thought of whale blubber in margarine...ugh!

gregas said:
    if the whales keep washing up in the numbers we have seen this year no need to worry about japan
    This... is sadly quite true. 
    -------------------