Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CURRENT GLOBAL VISITORS (CLICK GLOBE)
D-FOX: PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY

If you can read this message, please contact us immediately at the following email address:

thecomingcrisis@gmail.com

We'd like to communicate.

D-FOX

WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to posting or commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which does not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you ever need assistance, simply contact one of the staff or send us an email and we'll be glad to help.

A THOUGHT EXERCISE: What would the world look like after the next Carrington Event?

tazweisstazweiss Member
edited December 2015 in Daily News

I trust that everyone here has heard of the term, Carrington Event.  Imagine there has been a Carrington Event on the same scale or larger than the one in 1859.  Now, there are currently 438 operational, nuclear power plants around the world and they aren't shielded from EMP.  This means that the operating computers, back-ups, safeguards and cooling systems would all go down.  The cooling ponds would boil away after the pumps shut down.  Chernobyl X 438, across the world. 

What will our world look like in a year, 10 years, 50 years and 100years? 

Solar astronomers don't say if it happens but when it happens.  I sometimes ponder what it will be like after the next Carrington Event, what kind of world will our descendants inherit?

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

Comments

• mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator
    edited December 2015

@tazweiss that is something so terrifying that it hasn't even been address. I've never thought of that, but good post. I can't even begin to imagine the devastation that would occur world-wide. We pretend not to acknowledge what has happen at Fukushima. This would not be something you could try to ignore if you wanted to.

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
  • Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator

The solar storm of 1859, also known as the Carrington event,[1] was a powerful geomagnetic solar storm in 1859 during solar cycle 10. A solar coronal mass ejection hit Earth's magnetosphereand induced one of the largest geomagnetic storms on record. The associated "white light flare" in the solar photosphere was observed and recorded by English astronomers Richard C. Carringtonand Richard Hodgson.

Studies have shown that a solar storm of this magnitude occurring today would likely cause widespread problems for modern civilization.[2] The solar storm of 2012 was of similar magnitude, but it passed Earth's orbit without striking the planet.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

-------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
    Since this is a super interesting discussion, I've spruced up the headline and added a bit of info, if that's alright. 
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
    edited December 2015
    My personal thoughts:

1.   The world would be riddled with no-go zones that would inevitably transform into dystopian go zones where all sorts of crime and heinous activities took place.

2.   Assuming that a second Carrington event takes place, it makes a big difference as to how it takes place and where. If only half of the planet is struck, the other half will suddenly become a team of super powers since they possess all the technology. I assume that they would likely help the other half get back on its feet, albeit with a huge price tag in political capital and hegemony. 

3.   I think our current paradigms, capitalism and democracy, would come to an abrupt end. I think that nation states would also come to an end, since a crisis of that magnitude would require the entire human race pulling together in order to avoid extinction. In fact, such an event could be a catalyst that propels mankind into the next stage of development. Generations to come will likely view us as backwards and ridiculous.

4.   I feel mankind would ultimately win the technological war versus the destroyed nuclear reactors. I don't believe in nuclear winters or radiological devastation, and think these things would be major setbacks only until humans did what they inevitable do: band together to whoop buttocks. Fukushima is only a problem because we, as a species, allow it to be. 

5   Putin would likely ride around on a bear in real life after temporarily losing access to electrified vehicle transport. 
    -------------------
  • fuku has melted down and in a underground river there is no stopping it its gonna bleed in the pacific for 1000 years or more
    “One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.” ― Nikola Tesla
  • if the power company's shut down before the flare hits it want do any damage and it usely takes 2 to 3 days for the flare to arrive there is a doc on it ill see if i can find it
    “One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.” ― Nikola Tesla
  •  

Very interesting - so we could prepare for this 72 hours ahead of time?
    -------------------
  • Hopefully we could get power plants shut down in time but being a pessimist, I can picture the bureaucrats arguing about whether or not to take the threat seriously.

For this excersize though, let's go with the premise that the plants weren't shut down in time and all the systems are down, a worst case scenario.

Year one, large areas of land that become no go zones.  Given the state of technology though, people aren't always going to know the boundaries.  Remember, most are going to be reading by candle light at this point.

• a) Such an impending event would be hidden from us
    b) Our technology is such that a "Carrington Event" would have much more serious impact than the last one.
    c) Politicians and scientists shove "climate change" down our throat with pious comments such as "think of generations to come while they elect simply to trade carbon credits while the emitters continue to emit.  In fact they skirt around Fukushima, Volcanoes and Earthquakes which can do much more damage than we can with a car or switching on an electric light.
    d)  On the positive side we won't have to worry about a cashless society
    While acknowledging it's possible it's out of man's control. Everything is so hooked up to man made energy and internet now that if a Carrington event occurs (in our lifetime) we'll have to live with the consequences.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

• Ten years down the line, warning markers have been set up around the contaminated areas.  The rate of cancer has increased dramatically.  Plants and animals in the affected areas have undergone changes due to damage in their DNA.  The roaches are fine though.

• Now there is a coincidence, A CME is expected to hit us on December 30th.  Appropriate for this line of discussion.

A lot of CME's have been hurtling past us these days, or at least it's starting to feel that way. They seem to be constantly in the news now. 
    -------------------