WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

'Extraordinary' Cancer Breakthrough Revealed, Terminally ill patients are left symptom free

Tests of a potentially revolutionary cancer therapy have had "extraordinary" results on terminally ill patients, scientists have revealed.

In one study, more than nine out of ten participants with a severe form of leukaemia saw their symptoms completely vanish.

Four out of five patients with some other blood cancers responded positively to the treatment and more than half ended up symptom free.

Lead scientist Professor Stanley Riddell, from the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, US, said the results were among patients who were projected to have two to five months to live.

He said: "This is extraordinary. This is unprecedented in medicine to be honest, to get response rates in this range in these very advanced patients."

The technique involves removing immune cells called T-cells from patients, tagging them with "receptor" molecules that target cancer, and putting them back into the body in an infusion.

The targeting molecules, known as chimeric antigen receptors or Cars, came from specially bred genetically engineered mice.

http://news.sky.com/story/1642626/extraordinary-cancer-breakthrough-revealed

"Before you embark on a Journey of Revenge, Dig Two Graves" Confucius (504 bc)
“The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.”
"If angry, count to ten. This will give you time to find a weapon." - Will Spencer

Comments

• tazweisstazweiss Member, Permitted to post new threads
    The cancer is cured but the patients are left with a lifelong craving for cheese.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    tazweiss said:
    The cancer is cured but the patients are left with a lifelong craving for cheese.
    Lol, had to read the article carefully to get this one. Still though, I'd take the cheese!
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • Matt - is there a way to flag this article to come back up in 6 months or a year, to remind us to find out if the researchers died or if any other mention of this new treatment exists?
    People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
    - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings
    Matt - is there a way to flag this article to come back up in 6 months or a year, to remind us to find out if the researchers died or if any other mention of this new treatment exists?
    Indeed there is - I nominate you to be the official follow-upperer of this story. 
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • Do I need to do anything to get the article to appear again, or will you?
    People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
    It won't reappear automatically on a schedule, but any comment will immediately bump it to the very top of all our news stories, such as ongoing updates. When I want to keep track of particular threads, what I usually do is bookmark it using the little star to the right of the headline, then it's always saved.  
    -------------------
  • RosieRosie Member, Permitted to post new threads

Killing Cancer! T-Cell Immunotherapy Destroys the Bad Cells and Prevents Return

from DAHB007

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

• It doesn't appear that these researchers have died.  At the very least, the lead scientist Stanley Riddell is still around and researching cancer, from what I can tell.

I know it supposedly takes years and years before medical progress gets made, but this story certainly hasn't been followed up on by the media.
  • mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator
    It doesn't appear that these researchers have died.  At the very least, the lead scientist Stanley Riddell is still around and researching cancer, from what I can tell.

I know it supposedly takes years and years before medical progress gets made, but this story certainly hasn't been followed up on by the media.
    Thanks for the follow up. This is an extremely important story and I had forgotten about it 
    Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
    It doesn't appear that these researchers have died.  At the very least, the lead scientist Stanley Riddell is still around and researching cancer, from what I can tell.

Did you make a note of this? It's sixth months to the day.
    -------------------
  • I didn't, no, I only bookmarked it.  For the first time ever my eyes strayed over the "My Bookmarks" link on the left and saw I had one item there.  Not knowing what it was, I clicked and found this story again.

A strange coincidence that it was 6 months to the day.  I didn't even notice that.
    Even stranger because you said you wanted to check back in six months... Agent Mauve...
    -------------------
  • It has been another 6 months or so, and from what I can tell this doctor is still alive.  There haven't been any more news articles about T-cell therapy, but research papers are still widely available to a quick Google search.

I guess they don't kill every promising researcher off, after all.
    T Cells can also go rogue and cause cancer anywhere in the body if unchecked. See Mycosis Fungoides which is similar to T Cell Lymphoma.  If caught early while still in the skin it can be treated and arrested but generally not cured completely with UVA OR UVB light therapy.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

A thumb raised into the air for the follow ups and added thoughts. Let's see what happens in another six months.
    -------------------
  • tazweisstazweiss Member, Permitted to post new threads
    Anyone want to bet that they'll find a reason for not making this treatment widespread or available to all.  If the treatment is legit, it will take a huge bite out of a multi-billion dollar a year industry.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

Mycosis fungoides

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mycosis fungoides kneeJPG
    Skin lesions on the knee of a 52-year-old male patient with Mycosis fungoides

Mycosis fungoides, also known as Alibert-Bazin syndrome[1] or granuloma fungoides, is the most common form of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. It generally affects the skin, but may progress internally over time. Symptoms include rash, tumors, skin lesions, and itchy skin.

While the cause remains unclear, most cases are not hereditary. Most cases are in people over 20 years of age, and it is more common in men than women. Treatment options include sunlight exposure, ultraviolet light, topical corticosteroids, chemotherapy, and radiotherapy.

Contents

Signs and symptoms

Plaque of mycosis fungoides

Typical visible symptoms include rash-like patches, tumors, or lesions.[2] Itching (pruritus) is common, perhaps in 20 percent of patients, but is not universal.

Cause

The cause of mycosis fungoides is unknown, but it is not believed to be hereditary or genetic in the vast majority of cases. One incident has been reported of a possible genetic link.[3] It is not contagious.

The disease is an unusual expression of CD4 T cells, a part of the immune system. These T cells are skin-associated, meaning that they biochemically and biologically are most related to the skin, in a dynamic manner. Mycosis fungoides is the most common type of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma (CTCL), but there are many other types of CTCL that have nothing to do with mycosis fungoides and these disorders are treated differently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycosis_fungoides

So T-Cells don't always work beneficially.