WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

Closed - see "chess tourney" thread at top of page

Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
edited May 2016 in WEBSITE NEWS AND EVENTS

HOW IT WORKS:

1. You'll get an email when it's your turn to play.
2. Simply click on the game link in the email, move your piece, and hit "send move".

LEAGUE FORMAT / RULES:

1. Everyone will play everyone else twice - once as white, once as black.
2. Each win is worth 3 points, each draw 1 point, and a loss, no points.
3. The top league player after all games are played becomes the champion, and will be declared the "2016 Chess League Champion" in this thread title for all to see.
4. Since this is a play-by-email system, each player must make at least one move per weekday - players may choose to play or not play on the weekends.

MATCHES:

(White listed first, black second)

MAY 23, 2016

Lynsey's Aftershocks (WIN) VS Rosie's Roos (LOSS)
http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Play?1215757871
Farmer_Sean's Samurai (WIN) VS MrP's Reaganites (LOSS)
http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Play?522217435
Greg's Great Wall (WIN) VS Matt's Comrades (LOSS)
http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Play?1643257337

MAY 24, 2016

Rosie's Roos VS Lynsey's Aftershocks
http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Play?1741853970
MrP's Reaganites VS Farmer_Sean's Samurai
http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Play?1956934415
Matt's Comrades (LOSS) VS Greg's Great Wall (WIN)
http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Play?1242742201

-------------------
"...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)

Comments

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    *signs up*
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
    *and makes belt motion around waist*
    -------------------
  • Rosie_MOD_Rosie_MOD_ Moderator
    *signs up* after speedreading "Chess for Absolute Dummies"

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

• Farmer_Sean_DEP_Farmer_Sean_DEP_ Member, Moderator
    I'm in.  Matt?  Put the kettle on - I'm coming for you.
  • mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator
    edited May 2016
    I'm in
    Do you smell what the rock is cooking? 
    Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
    Nice. Four so far!
    -------------------
    @tazweiss
    @gregas

Would either of you gentlemen have any interest in participating in our chess league?
    -------------------
    Made sign up deadline a week from today to give people time to discover the league.
    -------------------
  • gregasgregas Member, Permitted to post new threads
    ill give it a go
    “One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.” ― Nikola Tesla
    Awesome. We're up to 5 now.
    -------------------
    CIA agents tasked with watching this site - are you in?
    edited May 2016
    1. Bump for those who haven't seen this thread yet. Mr Taz?

2. I've decided to simplify things: we'll run this Premier League-style, meaning whoever sits atop the league when the dust settles (after everyone has played everyone else twice) is the champion!
    -------------------
  • Lynsey_ADMIN_Lynsey_ADMIN_ Administrator
    Sign me up
    "Before you embark on a Journey of Revenge, Dig Two Graves" Confucius (504 bc)
    “The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.”
    "If angry, count to ten. This will give you time to find a weapon." - Will Spencer
    Would we all be willing to delay the tournament a bit more so that Lynsey (and maybe even Taz, if we can persuade him) can learn how to play chess and join us?
    -------------------
    edited May 2016
    As mentioned elsewhere. There are free downloadable chess programs which double as tutors as well as "playing partners" (who sadly always win).  Am happy to wait a while for the tournament. Can see I need to practice as that smarty downloaded chessgame showed me.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

We'll see if Taz shows up here by the 20th - if not, we'll go with a league of six.
    -------------------
    Chess is without a doubt worth learning. It is a phenomenal game that can lasts minutes or even hours 
    Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
    2 days left for anyone who wishes to join the league. Rookies welcome - we all get better with practice. Last call, last call.
    -------------------
    edited May 2016
    Alright, chess nuts:

1. Matches will be listed below, and you'll receive an email when it becomes your turn.
    2. League table will appear at the top of this thread.
    3. Lynsey will be playing alongside a family member as she learns how to play for this year's league.
    4. Remember to share your game's "spectator URL" by pasting it into this thread so other people can view it.
    -------------------
    edited May 2016
    FIRST MATCHES, MONDAY MAY 23RD:

(White listed first, black second)

Lynsey's Aftershocks VS Rosie's Roos
    http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Play?1215757871

Farmer_Sean's Samurai VS MrP's Reaganites

Greg's Great Wall VS Matt's Comrades
    http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Play?1643257337

Have fun!

-------------------
    call me a conspiracy theorist, but I bet Lyns is actually a chess master that will go undefeated and is just pretending to be a beginner :P 

edited May 2016
    Matches have been sent to your emails. Don't forget to share your "spectator URL" here.
    -------------------
    edited May 2016
    LOL "Mrpop's reaganites" good stuff matt 
    I don't see my share link fyi 
    I don't see my share link fyi 
    There is a "spectator URL" on the lower right? If you click that, it should open up a new tab or window, and then just copy & paste that link here.
    -------------------
    Test of spectator URL For MRPOPS VS FARMER_SEAN:

Test of spectator URL For MRPOPS VS FARMER_SEAN:

Works. Awesome!
    -------------------
    I'll add each public URL just below the match listing so it's easy to find.
    -------------------
    edited May 2016
    HAHAHHAHAH "Greg's great wall" 

make Crisisforums Great Again! 

*wipes away tear from reading the names*
    I'm going to teach all of you how to share.
    -------------------
    I'm going to teach you how to play chess 
    Definitely looking forward to watching you play your first match, GrandmasterP.
    -------------------
    Definitely looking forward to watching you play your first match, GrandmasterP.
    I'm just messing with ya. I'm average on a good day 
    Test of Spectator URL for  Lynseys Aftershocks vs Rosies Roos
    http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Play?1306233106

“The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.”
    "If angry, count to ten. This will give you time to find a weapon." - Will Spencer
    Haven't heard the starter's pistol but when it does go off  white starts first so you're  the lucky one! :)

:)
    In adopting this expression I won't raise anyone's expectations too high.

hahahaha
    To MrP and any other future opponents:  due to my residence in the Tokyo time zone, I'm half a day or so ahead of most of you (Rosie excluded, I believe).  Hopefully I won't be too out of sync with your various free times.

MrPops09 vs Farmer_Sean:

Not to alarm anyone, but this is a recent photograph of me:

Also, don't be fooled by Matt's general friendliness on the site.  This picture sums up how he approaches board games:

He is on the right.
    Matches "officially" begin Monday, because the league officially only plays a move a day on weekdays, but I started the games up earlier simply so everyone could take a look at what it looked like and familiarize themselves.

Anyone can begin moving their pieces at any time, and in fact, I encourage them to do so.
    -------------------
    Also, know that you aren't limited to just one move per weekday, that's just a minimum. You can move whenever you want, as often as you want - but just know that your opponent is allowed to move a minimum of one per day.
    -------------------
    If anyone wants to get in a bit of practise on the side, if you use Windows you should be able to click the start menu, the search bar, type chess and hit enter.  You should have a free chess game pre-installed on Windows.  I assume Mac OS has one too.  Linux, of course, has nothing unless you spend 20 minutes installing it while eating a cheeseburger, but if you use Linux you probably know how to use Linux.
    @Farmer_Sean
    when it's 6.30am  in Tokyo, it's 7.30am here.  Not as much difference as everyone else.
    http://24timezones.com/world_directory/time_in_tokyo.php

@Farmer_Sean
    when it's 6.30am  in Tokyo, it's 7.30am here.  Not as much difference as everyone else.
    http://24timezones.com/world_directory/time_in_tokyo.php

Indeed - no problem for our games.  I'm generally up at 3:30-4:00am these days, so as soon as my head clears I can tackle my turn if and when we face one another.
    Am usually out and about around 6am to do my posts here.

edited May 2016
    Matt and Lynsey, when I open up the game link at the foot it says "loading game...."
    but nothing appears to happen.  Do we use the board that is already on the left or wait for a game to load from somewhere?  (Oh. Just realised we get an email when its our turn to play). I hope this works ok when my wireless broadband shapes back to slow which will be shortly until the 4th of June.

Alright, it's Monday in the Pacific.

*fires starter pistol*

Start your games, chess nuts!
    -------------------
    edited May 2016
    Matt and Lynsey, when I open up the game link at the foot it says "loading game...."
    but nothing appears to happen.  Do we use the board that is already on the left or wait for a game to load from somewhere?  (Oh. Just realised we get an email when its our turn to play). I hope this works ok when my wireless broadband shapes back to slow which will be shortly until the 4th of June.

It's a super low-bandwidth site, just text and a single board, so it shouldn't load *too* slowly. I'm sure it will be alright.

When it becomes your turn, you'll see the last move by your opponent on the board on the left, and then you will have the ability to drag one of your own pieces - just remember to hit "send move" to complete your turn.

P.S. The "loading" thing is just a website bug, I think. It seems to often say that. Farmer_Sean and I play tons of games on that site, so that can probably just be ignored.
    -------------------
    your go matt
    “One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.” ― Nikola Tesla
    gregas said:
    your go matt
    *tips hat*

-------------------
    Still received no email, and it is still on loading game
    Ditto!

your go matt
    Don't forget to hit "submit move"....I made a move hours ago and didn't realize it didn't go through 
    the game is not loading, there is no move to submit
    the game is not loading, there is no move to submit
    So no chessboard appears, and you can't move any of the pieces around?
    -------------------
    nope.. nothing

there is a picture of a small chess board on the left of the page

the main page shows *Loading game** its been loading for days, still nothing

I know my knowledge of chess is limited, but I know I need a board to be able to play
    there is another link you got to hit below the first link you hit i think

nope.. nothing

there is a picture of a small chess board on the left of the page

the main page shows *Loading game** its been loading for days, still nothing

I know my knowledge of chess is limited, but I know I need a board to be able to play
    Ok, on that little chessboard on the left, if you drag one of the white pieces around, they don't move?

Lol, I think you may be using the "spectator" link where people can watch the game rather than the original link - click on this link, log in if you have to, and then let me know if you can move the pieces around on the board:

http://gamesbyemail.com/User/MyTurns

-------------------

White - Greg's Great Wall

Write messages to your opponent by entering them below and pressing 'Post'.

Game log at your last move | Rules of Chess | Preferences | Report problem | Spectator URL

Keep private notes for yourself by entering them below and pressing 'Save'.

crap this didnt do what i wanted it to do

gregas said:

What were you trying to do, Greg?
    -------------------
    @Rosie_MOD_
    @Lynsey_ADMIN_

Alright ladies, I've recreated your game because somehow I messed up Lynsey's email address so she never received the invite.

The new game is called "Lynsey's Aftershocks VS Rosie's Roos - Try #2", and should have arrived in both your email's. Let me know if it works!
    -------------------
    No emails in my inbox.

I've already somehow lost to Matt, and he isn't even my opponent.
    I've already somehow lost to Matt, and he isn't even my opponent.
    *points at you, then makes belt motion*

Also, stop beating me at ALL the games of backgammon!

-------------------
    Alright everyone - from here on in I will put the matches and their spectator URLs in the first post of this thread for easy viewing.
    -------------------

Now that is a game I CAN play, very well
    edited May 2016

Now that is a game I CAN play, very well
    Really? ...does this mean we're going to have a to have a 2016 backgammon league? (Perhaps once the chess league finishes)?
    -------------------
    That's a game I've never tried.

That's a game I've never tried.
    It's so easy to learn that you could learn to play in under 30 seconds. And yet, it's pretty darn fun. I stink at it though, lol. Farmer_Sean, being an Egyptian Textile Salesman, beats me all the time at it.
    -------------------
    Alright, just for the sake of curiosity since we've just started the chess league, if I were to start a summer backgammon league, say in July, would all 6 people in this league be interested in participating in that as well?

And if anyone here doesn't know how to play it, would they be willing to spend the 30 seconds to learn?
    -------------------
    check
    lol
    -------------------
    retreat
    to bad we cant copy the bored to post here

-------------------
    If one takes a screenshot and then uploads it, they can - on windows one uses the "snippet" tool.
    -------------------
    Matt - don't forget, you won that one game recently.  Besides, I need to consistently beat you at *something* - you even took dark chess from me :(

I'm in for a backgammon league, naturally.

If people have become comfortable with the email system and find it fun, I'll see if the 6 of us can get a Risk game going later.  Just for fun, since we can't really make that into a tournament.
    I'm monitoring all the games in progress, so the winners don't actually need to inform me of the win - I'll be able to keep track of that. Chess on, good people.
    -------------------
    ^^ Matt is studying out playing style in hopes to gain an advantage :P
    edited May 2016
    We have our first result. League table updated. (Make sure to refresh the page.)

-------------------
    Alright, just for the sake of curiosity since we've just started the chess league, if I were to start a summer backgammon league, say in July, would all 6 people in this league be interested in participating in that as well?

Im in
    Second... result in... *crawls into an awaiting ambulance*
    -------------------
    good game

Greg - you beat Matt at Chess?  Matt lost a game of Chess??

edited May 2016
    Jokes aside, I just watched the full log of your moves - that was an epic struggle!  I'm going to have to find a copy of Chess for Dummies if I'm going to face you later, Greg.

My fluke victory over MrP does not give me confidence to stand up to the giant who has slain the monster Matt represents to me (he has beaten me at Chess almost consistently for 18 years).

Definitely getting sweaty in here.
    i have a knight i have a knight  

lol
    I believe we've definitely reached chess level 9000 in here.
    -------------------
    DSC_0001.jpg 80.2K
    Alright, we just finished our first three games. I'll update the league table and send out the next games (which will be the same opponent, colours reversed).
    -------------------
    Next round underway! Good luck!
    -------------------
    Will be happy to try backgammon. After all losing is fun =)

Will emails go out with new game link or do we use the old link? 
    Will emails go out with new game link or do we use the old link? 
    It should have sent new emails, but just in case it didn't, you can just go to gamesbyemail.com and then click on "my turns" and it will show the game.
    -------------------
This discussion has been closed.