WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

JUNE 2016 BACKGAMMON TOURNAMENT UNDERWAY!

Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
edited June 2016 in WEBSITE NEWS AND EVENTS

HOW TO PLAY:

# Log in at http://gamesbyemail.com and click on "my turns" to find your game. (If you forget your password, just input your email and then click on "send me password" and it will send you an email with it.)
# Move your piece, and hit "send move". Try for one move per day to keep things going.

SPECTATOR LINKS:

1. http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Play?972774161
2. http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Play?197998628
3. http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Play?1748315474
4. http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Play?98518006
5. http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Play?886179356

-------------------
"...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)

Comments

• Lynsey_ADMIN_Lynsey_ADMIN_ Administrator
    edited May 2016

"Before you embark on a Journey of Revenge, Dig Two Graves" Confucius (504 bc)
    “The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.”
    "If angry, count to ten. This will give you time to find a weapon." - Will Spencer
  • gregasgregas Member, Permitted to post new threads
    that looks tuff ive never played im in
    “One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.” ― Nikola Tesla
    so this game comes down to chance?
    “One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.” ― Nikola Tesla
    It's a game of Skill Gregas, with a dash of chance thrown in
    “The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.”
    "If angry, count to ten. This will give you time to find a weapon." - Will Spencer
    hehe
  • Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator

.... *shifty eyes*
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
    Alright, we have 5 so far:

Lynsey
    Me
    Farmer_Sean
    Rosie
    Greg

-------------------
  • Farmer_Sean_DEP_Farmer_Sean_DEP_ Member, Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Greg - it's pretty easy.  Just roll two dice, and you can move one piece the number of spaces on one die, and another the number on the second die.  Or, you can move one piece both number of spaces.  If the other guy has one piece by itself, it's a good idea to land your own piece there because it sends that piece to the jail in the middle, forcing it to make the whole trip around the board again.

There are some lucky rolls (getting doubles gives you 4 moves), but if you don't carefully select which pieces move and where you might not do very well.

If you can do a raid in Everquest I think you'll find backgammon as easy as opening the lid on a pizza box.
    Bump. Or should I say, blot? Oh-ho-ho!
    -------------------
    1. Tourney tree up. (We'll be playing single matches for the first tourney so that the new players can get a feel for the game. Subsequent tourneys will use the doubling cube for point match series.)

2. I will be scheduling two exhibition games, matching a skilled player with a new player - the skilled player should teach the new player the ropes.

Games are as follows, so check your emails / gamesbyemail.com account in the coming few days:

Lynsey vs Rosie
    Sean vs Greg

3. If anyone else other than the five people listed in this thread would like to play, let me know and I'll expand the tourney tree. @tazweiss @mrpops09_CMOD_ ;
    -------------------
    edited May 2016
    Exhibition games now live. Spectator links:

1. Lynsey vs Rosie - http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Play?250704906
    2. Sean vs Greg - http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Play?1821438519

Any questions, just let me know. Tourney still open for any others who wish to join.

-------------------
    Are the exhibition games working?
    -------------------
    sorry, no, I checked the other day, thought we were still waiting for it to go live

but it is still not working
    unless Rosie has not taken her turn yet, she is white
    sorry, no, I checked the other day, thought we were still waiting for it to go live

but it is still not working
    I must have entered in the wrong email address again. I don't know why I keep doing that. I'll create a new exhibition game right now, so let me know if it works. Also check your spam box just in case it got tossed in there. 
    -------------------
  • Rosie_MOD_Rosie_MOD_ Moderator
    Can't see any links to a game.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

edited May 2016
    Alright, I think there's some confusion - the links I post above aren't the games, they're the spectator URLs in case people want to watch them.

You should receive an email saying it's your turn to play, but if you don't receive that, just login at gamesbyemail.com, then click on "My turns" it should show the games and they should be playable.
    -------------------
    Can't see any links to a game.
    Try this:

1. Go to gamesbyemail.com
    2. Log in with your email and password
    3. Go to "My turns"

It should show up as "Exhibition Attempt #2"
    -------------------
    Its got a red square in a centre path moved with the number 2 on it.  I can't move anything and it has nothing white or black.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

Hi Lynsey, My piece wouldn't move. It was in the centre path thingy. It was the only one I could move but it wouldn't budge.

your white piece which is off the board needs to go back into play first, you place this in the 4 (next to your lone white chip) on my right side of the board
    Gammon tip:

# Whenever a piece is alone, an enemy piece can land on it and capture it, whereupon it sits in "jail" in the center.

# All pieces in jail must be freed first before any other pieces can move. A piece is freed simply by starting it from the beginning again and putting it back on the board.

# Try to defend your pieces by grouping them together on the same diamond. Enemy pieces can't land where there are two or more pieces sitting together.
    -------------------
    Thanks I tried looking at the rules but that went to a dead link.

edited May 2016
    Thanks I tried looking at the rules but that went to a dead link.
    If you'd like to play a second practice game against me once you're done this one, I'd be glad to play, so just let me know.

Here's a link with BG rules and how to play:

http://www.backgammon-play.net/GameBasic.htm

-------------------
    Thanks Matt, I'll give those a bit of research.

Game complete, Good game Rosie

Congratulations to the winner - Lynsey   :rose: (I've kept another one aside for the finish of the chess game)

Hi Matt, think I have the hang of it without another practice run on the backgammon. But thank you for the offer of a second run through.

edited May 2016
    Alright, we'll just wait for Greg & Sean's game to complete then and we can begin the tourney. And wow, what a close game! Must have been exciting.
    -------------------
    got no nails left 
    got no nails left 
    Hahaha, wow, I just watched it through - what a game!
    -------------------
    and another :rose: for Lynsey for being the winner of our chess game. Congratulations Lynsey xx

thanks Rosie! xx .. we will show the boys yet 
    Hi Five on that Lynsey! *Puts on optimistic expression*

*tugs on collar*
    -------------------
    I shall gammon all backs as they come. 
    So it's gamm-on :/

Lol, nice. I should be drawing the matches today, hopefully.
    -------------------
    Actually, let's wait until Greg vs Sean's game is over with - they're about 75% through.
    -------------------
    Augh, no pressure!
    No, pressure - I'll start the tourney this Friday at the latest, God willing.
    -------------------
    Alright, now that we've all tried Backgammon out - are the 5 of us all still playing in the tournament? Greg?
    -------------------
    I won't let you enter a backgammon tournament without also being there to defeat you, so I'm in.
    I'm in without any pretences to skill.

im in
    @gregas
    Would you still like to play in the tournament? I'm just asking because you mentioned in the other thread that you possibly didn't enjoy the game, so I just wanted to make sure before I forced you into a whole tournament, lol
    -------------------
    I'm in without any pretences to skill.
    You'll get the swing of it after a few games - strategies will begin to come naturally. The first few games were all over the place for me too.
    -------------------
    By all over the place, he means he wept as I claimed victory again and again.
    Bearing that in mind, 2 full boxes of double strength tissues have been placed by my laptop for after conclusion of the chess game. One for the more likely scenario of sobbing over a bitter loss and the other for weeping tears of joy, on the slim chance my little soldiers score a victory.

Don't worry about him. He likes to issue propaganda in hopes of demoralizing his opponents (much of which is hilarious, so that's a good thing). He also failed to mention the winning streak of 4 games I had after which he crawled shirtless and pantsless into the neighbouring field with arms raised to the sky, pleading for a comeback victory.
    -------------------
     =) :lol:  
    Lynsey laughs because she has the beating stick ready for all of us.
    -------------------
    Alright, I'm going to draw matches today, God willing. If Greg decides he doesn't want to play, that person will simply proceed to the semi-final.
    -------------------
    ill play
    edited June 2016
    Nice, I'll see if I can draw today then
    -------------------
    Alright, our June 2016 Backgammon tournament is underway!

# Single-match decisions
    # Tourney tree updated - matches #1 and #3 are underway
    # Good luck!
    -------------------
    gregas said:
    ill play
    I think our game is live Greg
    edited June 2016
    Greg and Rosie get the first moves - I think we have to log in at gamesbyemail.com and make the first move on a game before it begins sending regular emails regarding turns.
    -------------------
    i didn't get a link in email
    tried that to matt no go cant find sean to start a game

edited June 2016
    If you go to gamesbyemail.com, log in, and then click on "my turns", you'll find the backgammon game with Lynsey's name as one of the players - if you click on that game, you'll be able to play it.
    -------------------
    i don't remember making a log in or password how do i retrieve those
    edited June 2016
    @Rosie_MOD_

Does the game work for you, Rosie?

(Or if it's not sending an email, just do what I recommended for Greg below and look for the backgammon game versus me.)
    -------------------
    gregas said:
    i don't remember making a log in or password how do i retrieve those
    To retrieve those:

1. Go to gamesbyemail.com
    2. Just put in your email (I used your flooring one)
    3. Click "send me password" and then it will send it to you
    4. Your game is the one versus Lynsey,

The log in is always one's email address.
    -------------------
    It seems that website doesn't want to send out emails sometimes, so I recommend to everyone to simply bookmark the website gamesbyemail.com for easy access.
    -------------------
    Remember though that this is just the spectator link for people to watch - everyone has to actually log in on the website to play the game.
    -------------------
    yes I did, but I can't move anything, it's gregas go

i tried password you sent but not working is login my email?
    not sure why it wouldn't log in first 10 tries but finally got in
    ill be slow on moves i have a big job going on this week

gregas said:
    ill be slow on moves i have a big job going on this week

That's alright, that's why we use a play-by-email-system so people don't have to rush.
    -------------------
    I've figured out the problem as to why the game isn't sending out emails at first:

Since I'm setting the game up, the system assumes I will make the first move, and so it doesn't send out any email. However, after someone logs in and makes the first move, emails get regularly sent. So keep that in mind from here on in when we start games.
    -------------------
    Gammon game complete Matt.. Win for me, Great game Greg!
    Alright, next round in preparation. Stay tuned.
    -------------------
    Tourney tree updated.
    Next match underway: Lynsey vs Sean.
    -------------------
    Tourney tree updated with the final matches!
    Sean vs Rosie
    Matt vs Lynsey
    -------------------
    Great game Matt.. well played!
    Good game, Lynsey - I eagerly anticipate our rematch.
    Alright, just one match remaining, the 3rd place dust-up, between Sean and Rosie, and then our first tournament will be complete!
    -------------------
    edited June 2016
    Tree updated.
    Now that our tourney is nearly finished, I feel that BG is a brisk enough game that we might want to try some sort of league format for the next tournament.
    How did everyone feel about our first play-by-email gaming tourney? Did everyone have fun and find it enjoyable?
    -------------------
    I must admit, I thought it would be awkward especially with BG because it is a quick playing game, but enjoyed both very much
    A backgammon league is a good idea.