Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CURRENT GLOBAL VISITORS (CLICK GLOBE)
D-FOX: PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY

If you can read this message, please contact us immediately at the following email address:

thecomingcrisis@gmail.com

We'd like to communicate.

D-FOX

WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to posting or commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you ever need assistance, simply contact one of the staff or send us an email and we'll be glad to help.

"Huge solar storm which could wipe out modern technology expected by 2020"

THERE is a one in eight chance that the Earth will be hit by a huge solar storm by 2020 which could potentially leave the world without Internet, phone service and many more services that modern-day humans rely on.

Researchers have warned that there is roughly a 12 per cent chance that a solar storm could smash into Earth by the end of the decade.

The powerful event would likely be as huge as the Carrington Event, which occurred on 1859.

The solar storm which hit 150 years ago was so powerful that its southern auroras could be seen as far north as Queensland in Australia.

Today, in a modern world so dependent on technology, the implications would be far more severe.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/737882/solar-storm-WIPE-OUT-modern-technology-carrington-event

-------------------
"...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)

Comments

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    Perhaps Facebook will become an actual book?
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • Today, in a modern world so dependent on technology, the implications would be far more severe.

All the more reason to keep cash, written records. old fashioned musical instruments and books. If technology on which we're so reliant crashes for any length of time our happiness levels will equate to those of the turkey at Thanksgiving.   Probably candles, can opener and a gas stove wouldn't go astray either.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

• ...I don't know about the rest of you, but I, for one, welcome our new Amish overlords!

Jokes aside, a "techpocalypse" will certainly be the doom of most of us.  I'm sure few people will prepare a plan for this eventuality, because it would mean so much negativity that they'd prefer to ignore/dismiss/laugh off the risk.

The following things will no longer exist if technology is destroyed in a solar event:

1.  Computers and anything running off a computer system (including the Internet).
    2.  All communication technologies and devices.

3.  Cars, planes and other vehicles, except bicycles.

4.  Jobs.

5.  Home appliances like refrigerators and microwave ovens.

6.  Modern weapons.

7.  Water filtration and purification stations.

8.  Most farms and food production.

9.  The ability to keep food cold.  We'll be back to ice boxes with no infrastructure in place for harvesting and supplying ice.

10.  Society.  Modern society is almost entirely a product of technology.  No technology and society hits the reset button.

11.  The International community.  There will be no more International anything, as it will be nearly impossible for anyone to travel to the next town, let alone abroad.

12.  Governments.  The government will have no means of communicating with or controlling the people, since they'll have no means of communicating with their own people beyond the level of the people currently occupying various city halls and government offices.

The best-case scenario is that 99% of everyone dies panicking or fighting over supermarket contents and the other scraps of civilization, and then the 1% of people who survived manage to figure out how to grow food without machines and manufactured products.  Countries will be vast wastelands of unpowered buildings and vehicles, there will be bodies everywhere and, I'm sure, fires will devastate much of what remains.

What possible outcome could there be for the average person who is completely taken by surprise by a solar event?  They'll be lucky to have a week's worth of food in their kitchen.  If they can walk or bike to the nearest supermarket they'll have to solve the issue of distribution with all the other people who went there for the same reason. 

The average person will no longer have lighting in their home.  Some might have candles stockpiled against a blackout, but not many and certainly not everyone will.

It stands to reason that plumbing will cease functioning, because the water treatment facilities will lack the power to purify and pump water.  Taps will be dry, almost instantly.  People will have to place buckets and tubs in their yards and pray for rain, or else cart water from nearby rivers and ponds and then boil it over campfires.  Many will likely fail to boil it and become ill.

The only way I can see anyone surviving is if they're rich and have an apocalypse bunker already built and stocked.  Farmers with large fields of varied produce as well as animals will survive, although if a solar event hits in winter they'll likely be out of luck (as will the animals, which in farms often live with the assistance of machinery).  Average people just won't have the time to learn survival skills and patiently grow new food crops before they starve/dehydrate/freeze/get murdered to death.

Of course, people who already live in technology-free environments might make it.  Parts of the developed world might become the new centers of humanity.  Certainly those few tribes that still remain won't notice a change, except for a sudden lack of encroaching mining machines and scary metal demons flying overhead.

Most of us are helpless, largely by design (we're kept fat and stupid because then we aren't dangerous), and I think that's going to result in a complete and utter failure of Western societies to survive the "techpocalypse."
    People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
    - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings
  • Having ice boxes and ice mightn't help much because most people don't have vege gardens or a few hens and a rooster to provide meat.  Candles are great as long as we have matches to light 'em. Also anything solar to charge the mobile phone and other needed things plus a generator (as long as fuel's obtainable for it.)
    Certainly the Amish are the best placed to survive such a situation. 
    The question that comes to mind is - why don't governments seem concerned enough to encourage every family to keep a backup system on the go?

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

Well they do, don't they? They constantly put out calls for people to have emergency preparations, but people don't make such preparations a priority for one reason or another. The anti-prepper angle seems to be based not so much on people stacking cans of tuna, but the anti-governmental angle prepping movements seem to take.

However, I wonder if things things will be nearly as bad as people think, because what we currently enjoy is vastly different from what we currently need. Maybe the big change will be just that, change, rather than some sort of apocalyptic force that sweeps the plane.
    -------------------
  • Nuclear Power Plants - Bye Bye Northern Hemisphere.  It takes electricity to control the fuel in NPP.  There are a few south of the equator, but after 30 days...meltdowns.
    Quitting smoking is easy.  I have done it hundreds times.
    ~~Mark Twain

chicomon said:
    Nuclear Power Plants - Bye Bye Northern Hemisphere.  It takes electricity to control the fuel in NPP.  There are a few south of the equator, but after 30 days...meltdowns.
    Game, set and match it would seem. It makes one wonder why they would have such a dangerous system in place whose safety measures rely on precisely that which would be taken out during a crisis.
    -------------------