WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

The Pope Speaks Out Against "Christian Parrots" Who Speak About Religion, But Do No Good Deeds

Pope Francis has said there is “no point” in people going to church if they do not follow the teachings of the Bible in their daily lives.

The head of the Catholic church took a stand against what he termed “Christian parrots”, who talk a lot about their religion but don’t do good deeds.

“If I say I am Catholic and go to mass, but then don’t speak with my parents, help my grandparents or the poor, go and see those who are sick, this does not prove my faith, there’s no point,” he told young residents of Guidonia, a village near Rome.

“Those who do this are nothing but Christian parrots – words, words, words,” said the Pope, according to Italian newspaper La Stampa.

“Christian faith is expressed with three things: words, the heart, and the hands.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-catholic-church-no-point-if-you-dont-believe-in-it-help-the-poor-christian-parrots-a7529631.html

Comments

• Farmer_Sean_DEP_Farmer_Sean_DEP_ Member, Moderator

What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

-James 2:14-17

edited January 16
    The follow activities are not only popular, but socially encouraged in Western (predominantly Christian) societies:

1.  Neglect, ridicule and hatred of the poor and needy.

2.  The acquisition of wealth and possessions, often at the expense of your health, your relationships with friends and family and even the welfare of other people.

3.  Seeking revenge rather than justice, or equating revenge with justice.

4.  The keeping of grudges.

5.  Hypocritical religious criticism.

6.  Tribalism, wherein people band together to protect petty interests at the expense of their neighbours, whatever shape those neighbours might take.

7.  Intolerance, willful ignorance and hostility towards those who are different in a perceived negative way.

8.  Idolatry.  People are encouraged to worship celebrities, wealthy business people, politicians, brands, sports teams, material goods and, worst of all, themselves.

9.  "It's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission."  People seem to operate within a care-free "sin now, ask forgiveness later" mindset.  Who is capable of tricking God?  Apparently, many people believes themselves capable.

In spite of the above, many Western "Christian" people, guilty of all 9 activities, believe themselves to be hugely superior in morals and behaviour to people elsewhere in the world.  It's a frustrating problem.
  • Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    edited January 16
    The philosophy of having faith without preforming deeds, and that such an approach will "save" a person, is essentially one of self-contentment whereby one absolves oneself of the responsibility that comes with following the message of Jesus, and truly separates the threshers from the pretenders.

Also of interest, in the Acts of the Apostles, one of the first things that happens is that all the apostles, and the new disciples, spontaneously and voluntarily abolish private property and enter into a cooperative economy of sorts in which everyone is fed, clothed and taken care of-- which quite interestingly only serves to spread the message further and to the point where the Jews begin to initiate the beat downs.
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
    I think it should serve as a very, very potent message to everyone that the basic act of a man giving his shoes to someone needy is not only so rare, but so astonishing as to deserve a news article.

Given that such generosity is so incredible, what does that say about the quality an presence of faith in the general public?