WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

Tokyo 7-11 Store Illegally Fines 16-Year-Old Worker For Taking Sick Days Without Coverage

A 7-Eleven convenience store in Tokyo illegally docked the payment of a 16-year-old part-time worker after she took sick leave without arranging for another employee to cover her shifts, the chain’s operator said Tuesday.

The store deducted ¥9,350 from the high school student’s paycheck after she took two sick days for a cold in early January, according to Seven & I Holdings.

The store had informed its part-time workers that they must find other workers to cover their shifts when they take unscheduled days off and that they would face penalties if they do not find a replacement.

The operator apologized for the act as it is the employer’s responsibility to find a replacement when an employee is unable to work.

The entire amount will be returned to the girl, who has already quit the job.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/01/31/national/crime-legal/7-eleven-store-illegally-fined-teen-worker-taking-sick-leave/

People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
- Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Comments

• GrumpyGuy_MOD_GrumpyGuy_MOD_ Moderator
    edited February 1
    Man, this rings a bell from my early 20s working at a call center in Canada.  Whenever one of us got sick and wanted to stay home, we were required to call everyone who was off (even if it was 6:30 in the morning) and beg them to come in on their day off and cover for us.  If we failed, we were made to feel pretty crummy about hanging the office out to dry by staying home.  I'm pretty sure that behaviour is illegal in Canada too, but the company didn't care.

Being a cramped call center staffed largely by mothers of small children, who would usually come in to work sick because they needed the cash, someone was *always* sick. I had constant sore throats which were only made worse by having to answer 200 calls a shift on some days. 

I don't miss that!

That said, shame on 7-11 for fining a teenager, illegally, and for shrugging off the incident.  I'm sure they will continue this practice in their other stores, since the risk of having to give an apology and pay back the amount when the rare person complains is pretty small.
    People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
    - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings
  • Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    It seems like the "We're sorry because we got caught" routine that so many businesses use these days to justify treating their workers like spittle
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)