WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

Hundreds of ancient earthworks resembling Stonehenge found in Amazon rainforest

Hundreds of ancient earthworks resembling those at Stonehenge were built in the Amazon rainforest, scientists have discovered after flying drones over the area.

The findings prove for the first time that prehistoric settlers in Brazil cleared large wooded areas to create huge enclosures meaning that the 'pristine' rainforest celebrated by ecologists is actually relatively new. 

The ditched enclosures, in Acre state in the western Brazilian Amazon, have been concealed for centuries by trees, but modern deforestation has allowed 450 to emerge from the undergrowth.  They were discovered after scientists from the UK and Brazil flew drones over last year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/02/06/hundreds-ancient-earthworks-resembling-stonehenge-found-amazon/

-------------------
"...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)

Comments

• Enormous geometrical earthworks found in the Amazon rainforest were built after humans had already begun altering the forest ecology, but the purpose of these huge ditches remains mysterious, according to new research.

The geoglyphs — trenches as big as 36 feet (11 meters) wide and 13 feet (4 m) deep — were dug at various times between the first and 15th centuries. The geoglyphs were discovered in the 1980s, when deforestation for cattle ranching and other agricultural purposes exposed the earthworks, said Jenny Watling, an archaeologist at the University of São Paulo in Brazil, who led the research while she was a doctoral candidate at the University of Exeter in the United Kingdom. The question, Watling told Live Science, was how the landscape looked when the geoglyphs were built.

"There's been a very big debate circling for decades now about how pristine or man-made the Amazonian forests are," Watling said. The new study suggests that humans have been altering these forests for about 4,000 years.

http://www.livescience.com/57775-humans-altered-amazon-rainforests-geoglyphs.html

People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
    - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings
  • It's interesting to consider that the popular modern opinion of a pristine pre-European Americas is largely bogus.  I've read about how most of eastern North America was all farmland and that there were millions of native peoples living across wide areas, including in cities like Cahokia.  The idea of all "American Indians" prancing around in unspoiled forest paradises is fantasy that has no basis in historical fact.  Still widely believed, though.

If it's true that the Amazon has been heavily-modified by humans for thousands of years, that not only raises questions about the people who used to live there and their capabilities, but also raises other questions about whether or not they might have had some assistance.

There are so many examples of South & Central American engineering and architectural feats that seem beyond the capabilities of people of the time that it leaves only two possibilities I can think of:

1)  They had help, either from a more advanced human society they were in contact with (Egypt comes up often in such discussions), or from someone even more advanced - perhaps extra-terrestrial.

2)  We have and continue to vastly underestimate the capabilities of ancient peoples.
    People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
    - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings
  • Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    Personally, the more I've looked into it, the more I inch closer to the conclusion that "primitive peoples" have never existed at all, anywhere, and the odd tribe we see here and there may simply be survivors of something bigger
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)