Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CURRENT GLOBAL VISITORS (CLICK GLOBE)
D-FOX: PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY

If you can read this message, please contact us immediately at the following email address:

thecomingcrisis@gmail.com

We'd like to communicate.

D-FOX

WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to posting or commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which does not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you ever need assistance, simply contact one of the staff or send us an email and we'll be glad to help.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Arrives in Washington for Meeting With Donald Trump

WASHINGTON – Prime Minister Shinzo Abe arrived in the United States on Thursday to hold his first meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump since the latter’s inauguration last month.

Abe will seek to discuss with Trump ways to bolster bilateral trade and investment for the economic benefit of the wider Asia-Pacific region in their talks in Washington on Friday, followed by a joint press conference, according to Japanese authorities.

They are then scheduled to fly to Palm Beach, Florida, where the president has a sprawling vacation estate. Trump has said he and Abe will play a round of golf in Palm Beach.

“I hope this summit meeting will be a message (to the world) that the Japan-U.S. alliance will be stronger and tougher,” Abe told reporters before boarding a government plane at Tokyo’s Haneda airport.

A senior U.S. official said Thursday that Trump is expected to underscore the U.S. commitment to the defense of Japan in the event that China attempts to seize the Japanese-administered Senkaku Islands.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/02/10/national/politics-diplomacy/abe-arrives-u-s-first-summit-trump-hoping-boost-ties/

Comments

• Interesting note - this is CNN's version of the same news:

worried Japan seeks Trump's assurances on Washington visit

Washington (CNN)Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and President Donald Trump will meet at the White House Friday and then head to the golf course Saturday. They both need a win.

Trump, who is feuding with US allies around the world, needs to show he can master the diplomatic formalities that govern US relations with a region where tradition and symbolism are particularly important parts of power relationships and regional rivalries threaten the peace.

Abe is seeking to forge a personal bond with Trump that would surmount Japanese fears about his critical campaign trail rhetoric and reaffirm the US guarantees crucial to Japanese security as China asserts itself and North Korea threatens aggressive steps.

To some degree, both leaders will be looking to reassure each other after a rocky start dating from Trump's days on the campaign trail -- the American President that he values the relationship and the Japanese Prime Minister that there is value in the relationship.

Trump repeatedly launched broadsides against Tokyo, which he has accused of taking US jobs, and rattled the Japanese public by suggesting the country contemplate going nuclear and stop relying on the US for defense. "You know we have a treaty with Japan where if Japan is attacked, we have to use the full force and might of the United States," he said in August. "If we're attacked, Japan doesn't have to do anything. They can sit home and watch Sony television, OK?"

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/09/politics/abe-trump-japan-washington-visit/

• The CNN article is written with a focus on things that went wrong in the past as well as Trump's lack of diplomatic tact.  It also reminds everyone of the Chinese and North Korean boogeymen in case they've forgotten.

I also didn't miss that the Japan Times article made an effort to include an optimistic quote from PM Abe, so they aren't completely off the hook for sensationalism and bias either.

That said, which is the better article?  I personally lean heavily towards the Japan Times article for the purpose of learning news.  For entertainment?  Of course, CNN wins there.  Their article conjured up images of Trump clowning around and legions of Chinese soldiers frowning at incoming American fighter jets.  Entertaining, yes.  Useful?  Hmm.
  • Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    I imagine they both have their interests: JT needs to bolster Japan's confidence in itself, and CNN needs to continue agitating everyone against President Trump
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator

Trump welcomes Abe with warm White House embrace

President Donald Trump welcomed Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe with a brotherly hug and warm words of admiration Friday, as he ditched previously hard-charging rhetoric towards Tokyo during a White House summit.

Trump praised his guest's "strong hands," the pair's "very, very good chemistry" and rolled out a White House military honor guard in a remarkable public display of diplomatic affection.

"When I greeted him today at the car," Trump said after an Oval Office meeting, "I shook hands, but I grabbed him and hugged him because that's the way we feel."

The odd political couple had lunch at the White House before heading to Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida for further talks and a round of golf on Saturday.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-welcomes-abe-white-house-talks-171941165.html

-------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)