Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CURRENT GLOBAL VISITORS (CLICK GLOBE)
D-FOX: PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY

If you can read this message, please contact us immediately at the following email address:

thecomingcrisis@gmail.com

We'd like to communicate.

D-FOX

WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to posting or commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you ever need assistance, simply contact one of the staff or send us an email and we'll be glad to help.

Minimum Wage Massacre: Wendy's Unleashes 1,000 Robots To Counter Higher Labor Costs

Minimum Wage Massacre: Wendy's Unleashes 1,000 Robots To Counter Higher Labor Costs

Tyler Durdens picture
Feb 27, 2017 6:05 PM

In yet another awkwardly rational response to government intervention in deciding what's "fair", the blowback from minimum wage demanding fast food workers has struck again. Wendy's plans to install self-ordering kiosks in 1,000 of its stores - 16% of its locations nationwide.

"Last year was tough — 5 percent wage inflation," said Bob Wright, Wendy's chief operating officer, during his presentation to investors and analysts last week. He added that the company expects wages to rise 4 percent in 2017. "But the real question is what are we doing about it?"

Wright noted that over the past two years, Wendy's has figured out how to eliminate 31 hours of labor per week from its restaurants and is now working to use technology, such as kiosks, to increase efficiency.

Wendy's chief information officer, David Trimm, said the kiosks are intended to appeal to younger customers and reduce labor costs. Kiosks also allow customers of the fast food giant to circumvent long lines during peak dining hours while increasing kitchen production.

As Dispatch.com reports, the Dublin-based burger giant started offering kiosks last year, and demand for the technology has been high from both customers and franchise owners.

"There is a huge amount of pull from (franchisees) in order to get them," David Trimm, Wendy's chief information officer, said last week during the company's investors' day.

"With the demand we are seeing ... we can absolutely see our way to having 1,000 or more restaurants live with kiosks by the end of the year."

read more:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-27/minimum-wage-massacre-wendys-unleashes-1000-robots-counter-higher-labor-costs

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

Comments

• The only thing cheaper than paying minimum wage is paying no wage at all.

I'm sure many companies will jump on that train as soon as possible, but to what end?  Will they enjoy a period of glorious profitability brought about by unpaid robotic staff?  Will they go bankrupt after discovering that they can't earn money anymore if no one has any to spend?

The dream of cutting out the employee seems like a short-sighted one, because the assumption that people will always have disposable income is one that has no proof to back it up.  Unless everyone is a roboticist in the future, who will be buying and eating Wendy's hamburgers?

A dramatic exaggeration, but still a valid question I think.
    People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
    - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings
  • Farmer_Sean said:
    A dramatic exaggeration, but still a valid question I think.
    What makes it an exaggeration?

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    It's really strange to me that our economy is modeled in such a way that having robots reduce the amount of work we need to do, and procuring great abundance from the implementation of technology are actually seen as bad things. The people breaking their backs in fields outside of the West probably wouldn't mind a robot or two to help them out.
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • The people who lose their jobs to those robots probably wouldn't mind 5 minutes alone with them and a sledge hammer.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

• Rosie_MOD_Rosie_MOD_ Moderator
    It's really strange to me that our economy is modeled in such a way that having robots reduce the amount of work we need to do, and procuring great abundance from the implementation of technology are actually seen as bad things. The people breaking their backs in fields outside of the West probably wouldn't mind a robot or two to help them out.
    Having tractors and harvesters replaced work horses which man saw as a good thing. Likewise forklifts replacing man's back breaking labour.   Is it a good thing to hand all tasks to robots at the same time as we are deleting movie dvd's and cd's and books to the point where everything is downloaded electronically.  The idea of handing every activity to electronics, AI and robots could mean we are rendered powerless drones ourselves. It's already being found that children who use ipads from toddlerhood have difficulty grasping pencils and crayons to draw. I guess what I'm trying to say is "are we reaching the point of overkill".  I see this push as leading towards a few large companies controlling and making massive profits out of everything and making it even easier to bring in a globally controlled world order.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."