WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

LIGHTBULB: "Pope says carry and read bible as if it were a mobile phone"

Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
Pope Francis on Sunday called on people to carry and read the bible with as much dedication as they do their mobile phones.Speaking to pilgrims in a rain-soaked St. Peter's Square, the 80-year-old pope asked: "What would happen if we treated the bible like we do our mobile phones?"He continued: "If we turned around to retrieve it when we forgot it? If we carried it with us always, even a small pocket version? If we read God's messages in the bible like we read messages on the mobile phone?"Francis called the comparison "paradoxical" and said it was meant to be a source of reflection, adding that bible reading would help people resist daily temptations. The pope poses regularly for "selfies" with pilgrims who flock to his weekly audiences wielding smartphones, while his English- and Spanish-language Twitter handles have more than 23 million followers. Francis last year called the internet, social media and text messages "a gift of God" if used wisely.http://www.reuters.com/article/us-pope-bible-idUSKBN16C0J6?il=0

-------------------
"...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)

Comments

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    Whole article is worth reading, in my opinion
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
    I actually spot lots of people, all women interestingly, some with children, who carry those little pocket versions around and read them on the bus
    -------------------
  • Rosie_MOD_Rosie_MOD_ Moderator
    edited March 5
    With the majority of shops where you can buy a Bible gradually closing down, pretty soon  people will find the only way to obtain and store one is on their mobile phone.
    What people may not always realise is that every app or book they have on their mobile uses data. Depending on their plan they continuously pay to read or use apps/literature.
    Without realising it we're going to be carrying or storing everything we had in DVD, CD or book form electronically.  Big bro will have a complete profile on almost our every thought and interest if they can be bothered accessing our data.  Depending on whether people download a Bible, Book on Taoism, Qran or other it will be immediately apparent what faith they follow.  It would seem the pope was dropping a subliminal hint to download a copy rather than carry a pocket Bible AND a mobile phone.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

An added bonus to books: the printed page, or more specifically an image imprinted onto any tangible, analog medium, remains the only communications format that requires no technological mediator between the human being and the information he's pursuing.

DVDs, CDs, and E-books can only work if the proper technology is present to translate them into something we can use, and on top of that, the further away from the analog media, the easier the information can be changed. Tangible, analog media however is essentially a historical record.  

It's no accident that Winston worked near a "memory hole" in 1984!
    -------------------
    Books dvd's and music may be able to be disposed of or given away, however music, films and books via electronic media are not truly our property and they are subject to deletion or failure via power failure or the flick of a switch.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

• Farmer_Sean_DEP_Farmer_Sean_DEP_ Member, Moderator
    edited March 5
    I think it would be a good thing for someone to create material and plans for the construction of synthetic books.  They would be functionally identical to paper books, but require no trees to make and would, ideally, last for centuries or longer without decaying. 

Bonus points if they resist frequent handling, allowing a person who reads the same book every day to do so for years or even their entire life without needing a replacement.

Super bonus points if the books could be somehow assembled using a 3D printer.

Durable synthetic books would last long past any paper equivalent and would be able to survive disasters that digital storage media could not (like a massive solar flare incident or organized EMP attack and the like).

I did a quick Google search for existing synthetic books, but didn't return any information.  Perhaps they skipped that idea in favour of devices and machines?  A mistake, if you ask me.

With my above suggestion, I envision every church installing a 3D printer for the distribution of free Bibles.  I envision every mosque doing the same with the Quran.  I envision Buddhist temples printing out copies of the Tripitaka/Pali Canon.  And so on.  Free ever-lasting knowledge for all who wish it.

I don't think the technology would have much commercial success because people seem to prefer digital everything now, although I imagine some companies, libraries, museums universities and research institutes would appreciate being able to make durable synthetic copies of important documents.
    Very interesting indeed.
    -------------------
    edited March 6

"Pope says carry and read bible as if it were a mobile phone"

I'd interpret this as "carry and read your Bible on and from your mobile phone." After all it's going to be a bit difficult to hold both in your hand at once!  Not many are going to willingly relinquish their phone to constantly read a Bible as they would Facebook.  There's probably already an app called "Faithbook."

Faithbook, lol
    -------------------