North Korea War Situation
WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

Increased Social Media Use tied to Increased Social Isolation Among Young Adults, Claims Analysis

PITTSBURGH, March 6, 2017 – The more time a young adult uses social media, the more likely they are to feel socially isolated, according to a national analysis. In addition to the time spent online, the scientists found that frequency of use was associated with increased social isolation.

The finding, published today in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, suggests that use of social media does not present a panacea to help reduce perceived social isolation—when a person lacks a sense of social belonging, true engagement with others and fulfilling relationships. In the past, social isolation has been independently associated with an increased risk for mortality.

“This is an important issue to study because mental health problems and social isolation are at epidemic levels among young adults,” said lead author Brian A. Primack, M.D., Ph.D., director of Pitt’s Center for Research on Media, Technology and Health, and assistant vice chancellor for health and society in Pitt’s Schools of the Health Sciences.  “We are inherently social creatures, but modern life tends to compartmentalize us instead of bringing us together. While it may seem that social media presents opportunities to fill that social void, I think this study suggests that it may not be the solution people were hoping for.”

http://www.upmc.com/media/NewsReleases/2017/Pages/primack-smu.aspx

People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
- Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Comments

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    In high school, my history teacher said that all this new technology would lead to "global isolationism", wherein people are simultaneously connected to one another, yet reduced to personal islands
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • Sounds like he was right.

Was that Mr. Massey, by the way?
    People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
    edited March 8
    Sounds like he was right.

It was the other man - portly, looked like he was a card hussler from New York, but a friendly, insightful guy. His name escapes me at the moment.
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • tazweisstazweiss Member, Permitted to post new threads

Again, they've known about this for years and these eggheads are just figuring it out now. 

Apparently scientists are running out of things to study.  I've long noticed that a bunch of studies will be done and conclusions reached.  Then after a time, another study will be done about the same thing and reach the same conclusion.  Scientists will then release their findings to the world as if it's a new and great revelation.

These nimrods need to read a little more or they need to get a life.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

• GrumpyGuy_MOD_GrumpyGuy_MOD_ Moderator
    edited March 8
    Sounds like he was right.

It was the other man - portly, looked like he was a card hussler from New York, but a friendly, insightful guy. His name escapes me at the moment.
    I think I remember the guy.  His name escapes me too.  Did he say "Ladies and gentlemen" and "Folks" a lot?
    Yes, I believe he did
    -------------------
  • RosieRosie Member, Permitted to post new threads
    Back when I was at school we only read about Shakespeare and our teachers called us little guttersnipes while they chucked dusters and flicked chalk at us. My English teacher was the Ancient Mariner. Our maths teacher was known as "The Phantom" due to a scar on his face and the way he glided as he walked.  He threw one girl from the front up to the back of the room for cheating on my maths (which meant hers were all wrong anyway).  He forgot to let go and ripped the sleeve off her blouse. It was a tearful afternoon as the rest of us were in shock too.  I was waiting for him to haul me out and rip both my sleeves off for not hiding my work well enough.!

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

• Listening to stories of how education was before my time as a student, and after having worked in education for a few years, I've come to the conclusion that there were a lot of teachers who should not have been teachers back then.

Physically tossing a girl around a room because she cheated is nuts. 

Unfortunately, things have gone too far in the opposite direction.  Although today's teachers are arguably better trained and better screened to keep out the lunatics, they have been effectively stripped of all authority by parents and their lawyers, and the spinelessness of school boards.
  • RosieRosie Member, Permitted to post new threads
    A state school I attended temporarily in Victoria had a teacher who threatened me with a leather strap filled with coins. A female teacher!
    Additionally when aged 12 a male teacher in Queensland caned me 6 times behind both knees for getting maths homework wrong. He said it was deliberate. It caused fluid on both knees and I refused school for 6 weeks!  Most of us grew up somewhat stoical and ready for the knocks of life as a result.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."