WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

US missile system in S Korea ‘threatens regional stability’ - Russian Foreign Minister

The deployment of the THAAD missile system in South Korea could lead to an arms race and regional instability, the Russian Foreign Ministry has warned.

The United States has begun deploying its advanced THAAD anti-missile defense system in South Korea, despite opposition from Russia and China. In a statement released on Thursday, the Russian Foreign Ministry warned of the potential “serious negative consequences” of Washington’s plans.

Such a development is fraught with the most serious negative consequences for international and regional strategic stability,” the statement read. “In the Asia-Pacific region, where an uneasy security situation already exists, a new, destructive factor has emerged that can further complicate the nuclear question and other problems on the Korean peninsula and provoke a regional arms race involving missiles.”

On Tuesday, the US Pacific Command announced the start of the THAAD deployment as the first components of the system arrived at Osan airbase in Pyeongtaek, South Korea.

The decision was made in response to North Korea’s firing of four ballistic missiles into the Sea of Japan on Monday morning, which White House press secretary Sean Spicer characterized as consistent with its history of "provocative behavior."

"The Trump administration is taking steps to enhance our ability to defend against North Korea's ballistic missiles such as through the deployment of a THAAD battery to South Korea," Spicer told reporters at a press briefing Monday.

https://www.rt.com/news/380059-thaad-korea-stability-russia/

-------------------
"...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)

Comments

• tazweisstazweiss Member, Permitted to post new threads
    Of course, the North Korean missile launches don't have anything to do with the instability in the region.  Only the U.S. can cause regional instability.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    Well, this goes back to our other discussion regarding the European situation: who is actually causing the instability? The North Koreans an their missile launches? The South Koreans and Americans who encircle North Korea with a zillion troops and armaments and hold massive military exercises every year? North Korea's threats?

Which side is belligerent, and which side is acting in self defense? Or is it the constant circuitous nature of the never-ending war that's to blame?

It's interesting to ponder, because (i) I don't recall any parts of that portion of the world belonging to America, so I'm curious as to why America is even there, and (ii) North Korea claims (rightfully in some cases) that it's acting in self defense, yet unless those artillery shells magically appeared on that South Korean island all by themselves, this argument isn't entirely applicable 100% of the time.
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator
    tazweiss said:
    Of course, the North Korean missile launches don't have anything to do with the instability in the region.  Only the U.S. can cause regional instability.
    Well of course! It's like Iran trying to develop a Nuke and openly stating they are going to turn Israel into sand as soon as they have it (paraphrasing)....Then the US steps in and "destabilizes" the region. 
    Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
  • tazweisstazweiss Member, Permitted to post new threads
     The South Koreans and Americans who encircle North Korea with a zillion troops and armaments and hold massive military exercises every year? North Korea's threats?
    Actually, the North Korean border with China is about twice as long as the border with South Korea.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

And that's probably a good thing, otherwise the Americans would have men and gadgets stationed there as well - at least North Korea has one cardinal direction that isn't belligerent towards it
    -------------------
    edited March 10
    tazweiss said:
    Well of course! It's like Iran trying to develop a Nuke and openly stating they are going to turn Israel into sand as soon as they have it (paraphrasing)....Then the US steps in and "destabilizes" the region. 
    That's probably because Israel threatens to nuke Iran on a weekly basis and keeps at least two nuclear submarines off the Iranian coast at any given moment - I suppose Iran eventually got tired of that and decided that it too had the right to begin defending itself.

If the United States isn't destabilizing the Middle East, what is it doing then? Handing out baseball caps and snickers bars?

[Edited to remove exaggeration and to fulfill obligation to Snickers sponsorship]
    -------------------