Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

CURRENT GLOBAL VISITORS (CLICK GLOBE)
D-FOX: PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY

If you can read this message, please contact us immediately at the following email address:

thecomingcrisis@gmail.com

We'd like to communicate.

D-FOX

WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

Tesla's Musk offers to fix South Australia's power crisis in 100 days

mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator

Tesla Inc boss Elon Musk on Friday offered to save Australia's most renewable-energy dependent state from blackouts by installing $25 million worth of battery storage within 100 days, and offering it for free if he missed the target.

The offer follows a string of power outages in the state of South Australia, including a blackout that left industry crippled for up to two weeks and stoked fears of more outages across the national electricity market due to tight supplies.

Musk made the offer on social media, and the government said it could consider backing such a battery roll out by Tesla.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-australia-power-tesla-idUSKBN16H0RL

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Comments

• RosieRosie Member, Permitted to post new threads
    Makes one wonder about the reliability of using renewable energy.  They're using  considerable amount of  windpower but have been beset by blackouts.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

• RosieRosie Member, Permitted to post new threads

How South Australia can function reliably while moving to 100% renewable power

February 22, 2017 2.30pm AEDT
    Peak energy demand sometimes occurs when there’s no wind. Shutterstock

Author

1. Mark Diesendorf

Associate Professor, Interdisciplinary Environmental Studies, UNSW

Disclosure statement

Mark Diesendorf previously received funding from the CRC for Low Carbon Living and the Australian Research Council.

Partners

UNSW Australia

UNSW Australia provides funding as a member of The Conversation AU.

http://theconversation.com/how-south-australia-can-function-reliably-while-moving-to-100-renewable-power-73199Despite the criticism levelled at South Australia over its renewable energy ambitions, the state is nevertheless aiming to be carbon neutral by mid-century, which will mean moving to 100% renewable electricity over the next 15-20 years.

The biggest challenge will be meeting the 2-3 hours of peak demand during the evenings, when wind generation happens to be low. This will require a mix of different technologies and strategies, including solar, wind, storage, and possibly a new interconnector to New South Wales.

The issue is the variable nature of some renewable energy technologies – wind turbines only generate electricity when there’s sufficient wind, solar panels when the sun shines. But peaks in demand occasionally coincide with periods of low renewable generation, as was the case during the heatwave a few weeks ago. Although sufficient gas-fired generated capacity existed to pick up the slack, it was not all available at the time and short, localised blackouts were implemented.

Without strategic preparation, these events are going to be more difficult to handle in future as wind and solar farms grow, especially if the interconnector between SA and Victoria fails at a critical time.

But here are some of the things we can do in the short term (the next 2-3 years) and medium term (the coming decade) to create a reliable system on the path to 100% renewable electricity.

The short-term

The key point is that the challenging periods will be infrequent and only last for a few hours. Coal or nuclear power stations, which operate best when run continuously at full power, are too inflexible in operation to pick up the slack at peak demand. They would also be too expensive, hazardous and slow to construct.

http://theconversation.com/how-south-australia-can-function-reliably-while-moving-to-100-renewable-power-73199

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

• tazweisstazweiss Member, Permitted to post new threads
    I don't worry about power outtages at my cabin because I diversify.  I started with solar panels, then added a generator for those times when the solar was insufficient to fully charge the battery bank.  Recently, I added two vertical wind turbines and in the future I plan to add a floating water wheel generator to use exclusively in the summer.  Eventually, I hope to add thermovoltaic panels to take advantage of the heat from my wood stove in the winter.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.