Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CURRENT GLOBAL VISITORS (CLICK GLOBE)
D-FOX: PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY

If you can read this message, please contact us immediately at the following email address:

thecomingcrisis@gmail.com

We'd like to communicate.

D-FOX

WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to posting or commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you ever need assistance, simply contact one of the staff or send us an email and we'll be glad to help.

Indignation in Cambodia as US Asks for Repayment of $500 Million War Debt

GrumpyGuyGrumpyGuy Member
edited March 11 in Daily News

Half a century after United States B-52 bombers dropped more than 500,000 tonnes of explosives on Cambodia's countryside Washington wants the country to repay a $US500 million ($662 million) war debt.

The demand has prompted expressions of indignation and outrage from Cambodia's capital, Phnom Penh.

The debt started out as a US$274 million loan mostly for food supplies to the then US-backed Lon Nol government but has almost doubled over the years as Cambodia refused to enter into a re-payment program.

William Heidt, the US's ambassador in Phnom Penh, said Cambodia's failure to pay back the debt puts it in league with Sudan, Somalia and Zimbabwe.

"To me, Cambodia does not look like a country that should be in arrears…buildings coming up all over the city, foreign investment coming in, government revenue is rapidly rising," Mr Heidt was quoted as saying by the Cambodia Daily.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/fury-in-cambodia-as-us-asks-to-be-paid-back-hundreds-of-millions-in-war-debts-20170311-guvxyp.html

I left out the entire middle of the article, which seems to have been written only to inform the reader how much damage the US caused in Cambodia during the war.  I assume it was written that way to make readers take an anti-American stance regarding this situation, especially given how the opening paragraph was written.

- Farmer S

People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
- Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Comments

• Although it would have been altruistic to forgive the debt 40 years ago rather than let it hang for half a century, at this point it doesn't seem unreasonable for the US to ask for repayment - especially if Cambodia is booming as Ambassador Heidt suggests.
    People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
    - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings
  • Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    edited March 11
    Shouldn't America be paying Cambodia reparations for all the damage it did? Or at the very least, shouldn't America be glad that a once impoverished country is now growing into what could become a new trading partner?

[Edited out humour to avoid drone strike.]
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
    Actually half of that debt seems to be for food help. Is that something someone should ask back?
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • tazweisstazweiss Member
    edited March 11
    Actually half of that debt seems to be for food help. Is that something someone should ask back?

Why not, if it was agreed at the time that it was in fact, a  loan. 

If I go to the bank for a loan, regardless of how altruistic the works I will use it for, the bank will eventually want repayment.  Why shouldn't nations be expected to repay loans they receive?

How often do people complain about the government giving millions of dollars to other countries to help them out, when we have homeless and hungry in our own, who're not being taken care of?  Now, when a government says we want some of that back, people will complain about how heartless they are.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

tazweiss said:

Why not, if it was agreed at the time that it was in fact, a  loan. 

If I go to the bank for a loan, regardless of how altruistic the works I will use it for, the bank will eventually want repayment.  Why shouldn't nations be expected to repay loans they receive?

How often do people complain about the government giving millions of dollars to other countries to help them out, when we have homeless and hungry in our own, who're not being taken care of?  Now, when a government says we want some of that back, people will complain about how heartless they are.

Nice.  

-------------------