WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

NAPLES RIOTS: Furious clashes erupt as police fire TEAR GAS at hard-left protesters

POLICE clashed with rioters in Naples this afternoon during a furious protest against the visit of far-right politician Matteo Salvini.

Around 300 people broke away from a peaceful march against the Northern League leader, and started throwing rocks and petrol bombs.

The hard-left protesters, some of them wearing black hoods and helmets, alsio uprooted street signs and set fire to bins.

Police then fired tear gas and water at the activists to quell the unrest.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/777980/Naples-riots-Northern-League-Luigi-de-Magistris-Marco-Minniti-Italy-protest

"Before you embark on a Journey of Revenge, Dig Two Graves" Confucius (504 bc)
“The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.”
"If angry, count to ten. This will give you time to find a weapon." - Will Spencer

Comments

• tazweisstazweiss Member, Permitted to post new threads
    Perhaps, if police responded like that whenever a protest devolved into a riot, people will eventually learn to stick to the protesting and avoid instituting the violence.  I have no sympathy for those who start smashing things, destroying property and assaulting people then complain that the police didn't respond with koombaya and teddy bears.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    There always seem to be a group of people who separate from the march to cause trouble.

I remember reading about the G7 (or whatever) meeting in Montreal (I think, somewhere in Canada), and journalists photographed rioters being arrested by police. However, when someone examined the photographs a little closer, they discovered that the rioters being arrested and the police arresting them wore the exact same police boots.

I've read about endless plots in which the police or some other government agency insert rioters into peaceful marches so that they lose legitimacy and so that the average person looking on will disassociate themselves with the cause.

This sort of trick is used all the time it seems - remember during Brexit when that MP was shot by a "brexiteer"? There are probably quite a few causes out there that are peaceful in nature but get sabotaged by police and governments that insert their violence.
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)

If a police officer kills someone undeserving, or beats someone in excess of their authority, the entire department is painted with the same brush.  That cops superiors are held accountable for his conduct.  The same goes for soldiers.  In fact, for many professions the same can be said. 

If someone starts committing violent acts during a protest and the others sit back and watch, or even worse, decide to join in, instead of themselves putting a stop to it, they've made a decision.  If, instead of immediately distancing themselves from the act, they stay and harass the police because the guilty ones aren't being handled with kid gloves, they've made a decision.  Decisions have consequences.  Again, no sympathy.

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    But that's the difference: police are bristles in the same brush, and come from the same culture, undertake the same orders, and quickly defend that culture whenever its misdeeds are pointed out. When was the last time that a policeman faced any serious penalty for their crimes? Their punishment more often than not consists of paid vacation, and everyone from the police department janitor to the chief stands behind them. If they do go to jail, the sentences are incredibly short and lenient compared to what the common man receives for the equivalent crime. Obviously there are some really good people who are heroic in their efforts among the police, but as a cultural whole, what sort of example does that set in society?

That's not the same as the regular person in the street who marches with a sign for whatever cause, and then suddenly some group breaks off and tries to tear up the place. And I challenge the statement that they don't try to stop these people, because I've seen that in many cases that they have, and some quite successfully - the Vancouver Riots were one such instance. Expecting ordinary people who arrived in peace to suddenly engage in violence to stop the violence of others doesn't make much sense to me.

The problem is threefold:

(1) Police are often deliberately sabotaging peaceful protests by inserting agitators, supporting agitators, or taking on the role of agitators themselves

(2) The actions of police are disproportionate to what's actually taking place; if people are walking peacefully, they're suddenly tear gassed and shot at and clubbed; if people start breaking things, police just wait by the sidelines, do nothing, and then blame the collective body of protestors for what the actions of a few did

(3) Police and the people are collectively to blame for (a) not stopping outside forces from engaging in deliberate destabilization of society (aka George Soros), and (b) mindlessly upholding the state system rather than pursue a course of virtue; all this will result in is an oppressive police state in which all peaceful, free expression becomes outlawed
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)

I'm not saying the peaceful protesters need to use violence to stop violence.  Let me give an example. (Hypothetical)

Protesters are marching down the street, holding up their signs and voicing their chants.  No problem, the police observe.  One or two, maybe a handful start throwing bricks, smashing windows and causing trouble.  The peaceful protesters immediately back away from the offenders, leaving them alone and exposed and easily identifiable.  If the offenders try to blend back into the crowd, the peaceful ones keep backing away and pointing them out.  The police are able to identify the wrongdoers.  The protest carries on.

Maybe if the organizers started making rules for the protests and people followed those rules, their lives would be a little easier.

Now, I know this is an idealistic and likely, unrealistic scenario but ya gotta admit, there would be a little less harshness.  A few months ago, I saw a report about a protest in  Japan.  The protest involved several hundred thousand people.  When the protest was over, the area in which it was held, was cleaner than before it started.  The protest was very peaceful and the authorities still got to see the people come together in solidarity.

*Sometimes I just have these weird notions.*