WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

Kids Who Don't Sleep Enough Grow Up with Problems, According to Pediatric Study

A study led by a Massachusetts General Hospital pediatrician finds that children ages 3 to 7 who don’t get enough sleep are more likely to have problems with attention, emotional control and peer relationships in mid-childhood.  Reported online in the journal Academic Pediatrics, the study found significant differences in the responses of parents and teachers to surveys regarding executive function – which includes attention, working memory, reasoning and problem solving – and behavioral problems in 7-year-old children depending on how much sleep they regularly received at younger ages.

“We found that children who get an insufficient amount of sleep in their preschool and early school-age years have a higher risk of poor neurobehavioral function at around age 7,” says Elsie Taveras, MD, MPH, chief of General Pediatrics at MassGeneral Hospital for Children, who led the study. “The associations between insufficient sleep and poorer functioning persisted even after adjusting for several factors that could influence the relationship.”

http://www.massgeneral.org/News/pressrelease.aspx?id=2072

Comments

• Farmer_Sean_DEP_Farmer_Sean_DEP_ Member, Moderator
    edited March 13
    I think this is interesting because I tend to believe that people in general, adults included, are likely to have mental and physical problems if they don't sleep enough. 

I've worked with and otherwise known numerous individuals who routinely undersleep, and many of them like to boast about how much extra time they have to be productive.  I personally see tired, grumpy and distracted people struggling to slog through additional hours of day and question how much "extra" is really being done by them.

I suspect they feel like crap and know, secretly, they are making a mistake.  Unfortunately, they are stubborn enough to persist while creating a narrative that makes their behaviour more acceptable - or even ideal.

Example:  I taught some office workers English classes in Tokyo, and some told me how they'd routinely work past midnight during crunch times.  One woman recounted a story of how she started work at 8am one day, then left at 4am via taxi so she could go home, shower, and change her suit.  She slept for something like 30 minutes and then went back to work again.  

I didn't say anything to be polite, but I internally doubted very much if the quality of work being done in that office was high.  She said she felt half-dead and wanted badly not to live that way, yet was also proud she did it.

What do you all think?  Should people sleep more?  Is sleep overrated?  Are scientists being paid by someone to promote over-sleeping for some reason?

How many hours do you tend to sleep every night?

I shoot for between 7-9 and very rarely fall below 7.  I always get up really early (between 4-5:30 most mornings) and like going to bed early, which allows me to avoid rushed mornings.  Seems to work well for me.
  • tazweisstazweiss Member, Permitted to post new threads
    You get all the sleep you'll ever need, during the first year you're dead.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    I think people should live more relaxed lives in general. It's not normal for people to work 9-5 jobs. It's not normal for people to scramble around paying 15 bills. Anything that returns people to normal, relaxed, natural life is a bonus. Studies of tribes living in the wild show that they work a few hours a day tops, and there's one tribe in Africa that considers working two days in a row to be insanity. Much of what we do on a daily basis is nonsense to empower a system of nonsense.

That said, hardcore capitalists in hardcore capitalist America concluded through labour studies at the height of the depression that a worker ceases to be productive after the 40th hour of weekly work, and achieves maximum productivity working 30 hours a week. Companies that had workers work 30 hours while paying them for 40 manifested more productivity than companies that paid workers dollar-for-hour and had them working beyond 40 hours.

So yes, a calmer, slower world would probably benefit everyone.
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator
    tazweiss said:
    You get all the sleep you'll ever need, during the first year you're dead.

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
  • Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    That man has consumed every cup of coffee in the world
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator
    That man has consumed every cup of coffee in the world
    lol I've actually seen that band live...and lived 

One of my personal favorites from when I was a young buck in college 
    Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
  • tazweisstazweiss Member, Permitted to post new threads
    :bawling: After listening to that, I understand why people flip out and go on killing sprees.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.