WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

Losing smartphone may be nearly as stressful as terrorist attack – study.. Nope.. Lost for words!

Losing a smartphone could be almost as stressful as a terrorist attack, a new study by British scientists reveals. Also surprising (or perhaps not): Brits are scared of moving to a bigger house, going on holiday, and planning a wedding.

The nationwide survey was carried out by The Physiological Society, in partnership with the polling firm YouGov, and 2,000 British adults were surveyed.

Researchers asked the participants how stressed they would feel about a range of events, with the death of a loved one and serious illness, quite expectedly, receiving the highest marks for stress levels.

Then comes divorce, identity theft, financial problems, and even some events that would seem to be happy ones, but can still cause a lot of stress: starting a new job, planning a wedding, and giving birth to one’s first child.

There were, however, some surprising findings. The threat of a terrorist attack received a score of 5.84 – only slightly more stressful than losing a smartphone (5.79).

https://www.rt.com/news/380950-losing-smartphone-stress-terror/

"Before you embark on a Journey of Revenge, Dig Two Graves" Confucius (504 bc)
“The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.”
"If angry, count to ten. This will give you time to find a weapon." - Will Spencer

Comments

• mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator
     :|   WTF. I've lost my phone before. I wasn't happy about it, but wouldnt quite compare it to 9/11  
    Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
  • Lynsey_ADMIN_Lynsey_ADMIN_ Administrator
    I threw one of mine into the sea.. didn't lose 1 night sleep over it
    “The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.”
    "If angry, count to ten. This will give you time to find a weapon." - Will Spencer
  • mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator
    I threw one of mine into the sea.. didn't lose 1 night sleep over it
    And thus, the song "Into the Ocean" was born by blue October 
    Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
  • Lynsey_ADMIN_Lynsey_ADMIN_ Administrator
     =) 
  • Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    I imagine this is the case because these people are experiencing real life addictions and withdrawals, like someone coming off of heroin
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • I think it's also because the majority of their life takes place through the phone.  Without it, they can't converse with anyone, check their email, check their multiple social networks and so on.  Since they aren't available to reply within 0.2 milliseconds of receiving a message, people might assume they are in trouble or something, so they'll fear having to deal with that.

Losing their phone is a bit like being stranded on a deserted island without any tools or idea of what to do.

(Based on comments from people I've known who have lost their phones)
    People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
    - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings