Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CURRENT GLOBAL VISITORS (CLICK GLOBE)
D-FOX: PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY

If you can read this message, please contact us immediately at the following email address:

thecomingcrisis@gmail.com

We'd like to communicate.

D-FOX

WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to posting or commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you ever need assistance, simply contact one of the staff or send us an email and we'll be glad to help.

Russian Ministry of Justice Seeking to Declare Jehovah's Witnesses Extremists

Russia's justice ministry has filed a lawsuit with its supreme court to declare the national headquarters of the country's Jehovah’s Witnesses an extremist organization.

The legal filing is noted on the court's website with no date given for legal action. The group's administrative center in Russia is located about 25 miles northwest of St. Petersburg.

The press office for the Russian branch of the religion says on its website that such a declaration, if successful, would “entail disastrous consequences for freedom of religion in Russia" and directly affect about 175,000 followers at more than 2,000 congregations in the country.

"Extremism is deeply alien to the Bible-based beliefs and morality of Jehovah's Witnesses," the statement said. "Persecution of the faithful for peaceful anti-extremism legislation is built on frank fraud, incompetent individual 'experts' and, as a result, a miscarriage of justice."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/03/16/russia-moves-declare-jehovahs-witnesses-extremist/99257116/

People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
- Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Comments

• They are accusing them of being a cult that ruins families and teaches hate.  From what I know about the Witnesses, "cult" seems like a pretty reasonable description.  Not sure about the teaching of hate, though.

Thoughts?
    People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
  • As far as I'm concerned, they are a cult.  Fortunately, if you live a good life and you're generally happy with your life, you can't become a member of the church.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

• mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator
    100% cult just like the mormons and scientologists 
    Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
  • Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    edited March 19
    My thoughts?

What branch of Christianity isn't a cult? People don't even realize they're in one, and argue to the death that their church, their sect, their community of fellow cult members is somehow different. It never is.

Nevertheless, I've encountered Jehova's Witnesses and Mormons, and they're were probably among the nicest people I've ever met, even though I don't entirely agree with their philosophy. The Mormons would even discuss the Quran with me.

In this particular case, Russia is probably doing this because it's own secular nationalist cult doesn't like the size or the influence the Witnesses possess. China does the same thing with those calling themselves Christian, and the Falun Dafan, the Tibetans and the Uighur muslims. This probably has little to do with religion, and more to do with politics. Although, politics is actually religion when it comes down to it.

-------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator
    edited March 17
    My thoughts?

What branch of Christianity isn't a cult? People don't even realize they're in one, and argue to the death that their church, their sect, their community of fellow cult members is somehow different. It never is.

The difference, Matt, is that JW and Mormons have a "special book" that only their members are privy to. They have the "secret" and the Bible (although it's GOD'S WORD) isn't good enough. I personally am non-denominational. I don't think it matters what sect of Christianity one is in. They can all be saved and we all believe in the Divinity of Christ....as long as they are christian....Mormons and JW are NOT Christians, and the only people that think they are Christians are other mormons and jw

I have met some great people that are Mormon... doesn't change the fact it's a cult 
    Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
  • crystalcrystal Member

mrpops09 says that JW"s are a cult and have their own special book like the Mormons which only they are privy to.

Crystal says; I know a number of Jehovah's witnesses and they for a certain do not have their own book like the Mormons. You are in error!

mrpops09 you must tell us the NAME of the book you say they are privy to.

And I know they follow Jesus teachings. I cannot say the same for many who go to church or don't go and claim to be a Christian.

If you call them a cult then you are calling Jesus a cult because they say the same things Jesus did. Many in the first century called Jesus many untrue things. They even said he did his works by means of the devil said he was a drunkard and that he ate with sinners. That He was a seditionist. Wouldn't many today call Jesus an extremist? I think they would.

It would be wise for individuals who desire truth and life to search themselves and find out what's true and false because there's many many out there who should not be teaching anyone because like Jesus said there are many blind guides.

Many people parrot what they have heard others say without making sure what they heard is true or not.

Jesus said that those who really followed Him would be hated and lied about.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 " Make sure of all things hold fast to what is fine."

• crystalcrystal Member

TO MATT_ADMIN_

MATT says what branch of Christianity isn't a cult, I won't quote all you said in your comment but I will say this . Your comment is very reasonable and wise.

The only thing i would change  is all the sects of  "Christendom"  not Christianity There's a difference between  Christianity and Christendom.

Christians are those that teach what Jesus taught and DO WHAT HE SAID even if it means being hated and persecuted like he and His early followers were. 

If I had to choose between two people I didn't know to watch my money and belongings and I knew one was a Jehovah's witness and the other seemed even nicer that the JW I would choose the JW because I would be sure to get everything back.

• From Wikipedia:

Jehovah's Witnesses believe their religion is a restoration of first-century Christianity.[128] Doctrines of Jehovah's Witnesses are established by the Governing Body, which assumes responsibility for interpreting and applying scripture.[48][129][130] The Governing Body does not issue any single, comprehensive "statement of faith", but prefers to express its doctrinal position in a variety of ways through publications published by the Watch Tower Society.[131] Their publications teach that doctrinal changes and refinements result from a process of progressive revelation, in which God gradually reveals his will and purpose,[132][133][134][135] and that such enlightenment or "new light"[136] results from the application of reason and study,[137] the guidance of the holy spirit, and direction from Jesus Christ and angels.[138] The Society also teaches that members of the Governing Body are helped by the holy spirit to discern "deep truths", which are then considered by the entire Governing Body before it makes doctrinal decisions.[139] The religion's leadership, while disclaiming divine inspiration and infallibility,[140] is said to provide "divine guidance"[141] through its teachings described as "based on God's Word thus ... not from men, but from Jehovah."[142][143]

The entire Protestant canon of scripture is considered the inspired, inerrant word of God.[144] Jehovah's Witnesses consider the Bible to be scientifically and historically accurate and reliable[145] and interpret much of it literally, but accept parts of it as symbolic.[146] They consider the Bible to be the final authority for all their beliefs,[147] although sociologist Andrew Holden's ethnographic study of the religion concluded that pronouncements of the Governing Body, through Watch Tower Society publications, carry almost as much weight as the Bible.[148] Regular personal Bible reading is frequently recommended; Witnesses are discouraged from formulating doctrines and "private ideas" reached through Bible research independent of Watch Tower Society publications, and are cautioned against reading other religious literature.[149][150][151] Adherents are told to have "complete confidence" in the leadership, avoid skepticism about what is taught in the Watch Tower Society's literature, and "not advocate or insist on personal opinions or harbor private ideas when it comes to Bible understanding."[152][153][154][155] The religion makes no provision for members to criticize or contribute to official teachings[156] and all Witnesses must abide by its doctrines and organizational requirements.[157]

• What I take from that is a mix of good and mostly bad:

Good: 

1.  The promotion of reason and study as a means of acquiring divine inspiration

2.  Reliance on the Bible as a final authority

Bad:

1.  Overseen by a "governing body" that is claimed to be guided by the holy spirit

2.  The governing body's pronouncements in the Watch Tower publications are followed without question by members, and may be regarded almost on par with the Bible itself

3.  Members are told to blindly obey the governing body's leadership, and are told not to study or question on their own, or to ever read any other religious literature

The bad points reek of the same kind of blasphemous hierarchies that have sprung up time and time again across history.  The perfect way to control people is to first get them to believe that you are divinely inspired, and then secondly to ban them from ever thinking independently upon punishment of damnation.  Their governing body is untouchable.

The Catholic Church did that to an enormous, appalling degree for centuries (to the point where it was considered an offense for non-clerics to own or read a Bible).

Whether or not the guidance of this council leads to admirable behaviour from its members does not excuse the ban on individual thought and study.  Indeed, to not use our brains to investigate our faith goes against God's instructions, as does the blind obedience of mortal men. 

As for MrP's claims of Witnesses having their own religious book, perhaps he meant the Watch Tower publication?  If Witnesses do indeed believe the pronouncements contained within to be supplementary almost-equal teachings to the Bible, then I understand why he is concerned about it.  It sounds pretty questionable to me, for certain.

I think the most dangerous religious groups are the ones where, upon raising a new question, a member is admonished, "How dare you question doctrine??"

If we weren't allowed to question, there'd be no point in us being here at all.  There are many ways to fail a test, but refusing to turn the paper over and start writing is surely the most reliable means to achieve that end.

• I have to agree with FS. 

I know a number of JW's and I've come to the realization that their church is a cult.  Conversations with the JW's I know has led me to believe that the church (for the most part) tries to recruit members who are not well educated and easily led.

edited March 19

crystal said:

TO MATT_ADMIN_

MATT says what branch of Christianity isn't a cult, I won't quote all you said in your comment but I will say this . Your comment is very reasonable and wise.

The only thing i would change  is all the sects of  "Christendom"  not Christianity There's a difference between  Christianity and Christendom.

Christians are those that teach what Jesus taught and DO WHAT HE SAID even if it means being hated and persecuted like he and His early followers were. 

If I had to choose between two people I didn't know to watch my money and belongings and I knew one was a Jehovah's witness and the other seemed even nicer that the JW I would choose the JW because I would be sure to get everything back.

I often struggle to find an appropriate word to describe what I see today, so I appreciate the adjustment.

Although you understood me, I think I miscommunicated what I meant to others: my point is that the Russian move to go after them is disingenuous at best - and likely simply expresses their angst that they haven't infiltrated the church from top to bottom, like the Orthodox church, for instance. The use of "cult" in this case is political and used to demonize a group of people.
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • Rosie_MOD_Rosie_MOD_ Moderator
    edited March 18
    It would seem clear that while some of the Bible portrays history other parts do have symbolic messages particularly Revelation but also less apparent verses in other chapters. Take the parables of the New Testament for instance as more obvious examples.   Looking up like numbered verses in certain chapters of the Bible will reveal that they say similar, almost identical things.  

"Deuteronomy 4:2King James Version (KJV)

2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you."

If the Bible is the Word of God, then it is something we shouldn't change -  and yet count the versions out there, all rewritten by man.  All we can do is read the oldest version we can find even though that just by the fact of being translated into English is changed.

Christianity is an invididual thing between each of us and God. At the same time by following teachings in the Bible we are given the best guidance to co exist and respect our fellow man in a way we would wish to be treated.  There would be a lot less war most of which are caused by greed and religious differences.

Being Christian doesn't mean you have to be part of a named man made religion. As each has it's own doctrine are any of them directed by God?

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

• crystalcrystal Member

TO Farmer-Sean-

mrpops09 said that Jehovah's witnesses have their own book like the Mormons do and they are only privy to it. I said that was UNTRUE and to name the book.

Farmer-Sean- are you trying to answer for mrpops by saying PERHAPS mrpop meant by saying they have their own book he meant the Watchtower.

When someone makes accusation and someone calls them on it they should  be able to give a clear answer.

Not perhaps he meant. He should be able to come up with the answer.

What is the name of the book which they are only privy to?

There is no book which they are only privy to.. If you say there is, NAME the book.

• Crystal:

Perhaps it is true that I should not speak for anyone else, and I will make attempts not to do so in the future.  Only MrP can elaborate on what he meant.

That said, trying to pick fights with mediators is not, in my opinion, conducive towards the maintenance of this site's purpose and rules.  Please remember to keep discourse civil at all times.  Thanks!
  • crystalcrystal Member

To FARMER_SEAN_ and mrpops

Crystal says that each issue of the watchtower produces 58,987,000 issues and published in 282 languages. 

People of different religions all around the globe read the Watchtower. I for one find it very informative and everything it says is bible based and the scriptures are in all the paragraphs so anyone can look them up in any translation.

So the book mrpops spoke about  that only the JW"s are privy to couldn't be the Watchtower because millions around the globe read it and like it.

All translations of the scriptures have the same message. So one has only to compare different translations to find that out. I'm sure most people know what a synonym is. A word or phrase that means or nearly means the SAME THING 

The same  message is in all translations of the bible, from Genesis through Revelation. 

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Make sure of all things hold fast to what is fine.

• crystalcrystal Member

Farmer-Sean-

I apologize if it seemed like I was trying to pick a fight. That was not my intention. I was trying to clear up an accusation mrpop09 made about JW having their own book which they are Privy to. Thank You Crystal

• On a side note -

When the Soviet Union was still going strong, the only "Christian" religion, outside of the Russian Orthodox Church, that was allowed in the USSR, was the Mormon Church.

tazweiss said:

On a side note -

When the Soviet Union was still going strong, the only "Christian" religion, outside of the Russian Orthodox Church, that was allowed in the USSR, was the Mormon Church.

That's interesting, I didn't know that. Can you tell us more? Do you know why this was so?
    -------------------
  • The reason the Mormons were allowed into the USSR was because one of their more prominent tenets is to "Always obey the law of the land".  Since the Soviets placed great importance on the state being the ultimate authority, they felt the Mormons wouldn't pose a threat of undermining the state.

I was an elder in the Mormon Church for several years.  In our Priesthood meetings, this was considered a point of pride.

tazweiss said:

The reason the Mormons were allowed into the USSR was because one of their more prominent tenets is to "Always obey the law of the land".  Since the Soviets placed great importance on the state being the ultimate authority, they felt the Mormons wouldn't pose a threat of undermining the state.

I was an elder in the Mormon Church for several years.  In our Priesthood meetings, this was considered a point of pride.

You're an interesting gentleman, Mr Taz - and always full of interesting anecdotes.
    -------------------
  • Image result for most interesting man cartoons

tazweiss said:
    Image result for most interesting man cartoons
    Lol

-------------------
    edited March 19
    crystal said:

Crystal, you seem well versed in the Bible - do you read /study it often? Did you attend a seminary or take any religious studies?
    -------------------
    In thinking of the origins of the Bible, all the ones we read are in English with our oldest still widely read one being the King James Version.  In older Bibles be it Greek or German we need to think - was the word God used or other symbolic names of the language of various nationalities, many of them dating way back.   As the books of the Bible historically were translated from manuscripts by the individual authors of each chapter / Testament were these originally in Hebrew or Arabic or other languages and did they use the word God as we do or some other name for God? Here is an article on what those names were.  It can be seen here where Hebrews get their name for God from.
    J is pronounced Y I believe in Hebrew   YHVH (the Tetragrammaton or 4 letters) also pronounced Yehovah or Jehovah. The Tibetan word is Abba (Father)  If people choose to use another name for God in their own language in the belief that He is the creator, does that make them wrong?
    http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Names_of_G-d/YHVH/yhvh.html

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

From Elohim to Abba: the intimate names of God

Elohim

Elohim (translated “God” in English) is the Hebrew name used for God in the very first line of the Bible. Elohim existed already and he created everything else. Elohim is a plural noun that can also refer to the various gods or the human authorities of the nations. The Bible, however, uses this noun to refer to the one true God.

Kings and queens might use the “royal We” to speak of themselves in the plural of majesty. Biblical authors likewise spoke of the one true God in the plural form to show his elevated status above all people and above all so-called gods. Some would even argue that God inspired the biblical writers to use this plural name as an early hint that later he would more fully reveal the fact that he is a Trinity, one God in three Persons.

Elohim designates God as Majestic Ruler over all.

El, El-Shaddai

The word El may or may not originally be related to the word Elohim. In the Old Testament, this name emphasizes the power and sovereignty of God. It is often expanded as El-Shaddai, translated “God Almighty.” This is the name God gives to himself in his covenant relationship with Abraham:

When Abraham was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him and said, “I am God Almighty El-Shaddai; walk before me and be blameless. I will confirm my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers" (Genesis 17:1-2, NIV).

Despite all obstacles, El-Shaddai was mighty and accomplished his promises to Abraham. God’s ultimate promise, that “all the peoples on earth will be blessed through you” (Genesis 12:3) is accomplished through Abraham’s descendant Jesus.

El-Shaddai designates God as Almighty.

Yahweh

The most personal name that God gives himself in the Old Testament is Yahweh. Hebrew was originally written as consonants with no vowels and this name appears as the equivalent of YHWH. As vowels were inserted and it was passed down through other languages to English, it evolved into the word Jehovah. The word Yahweh, however, is an attempt to more closely represent the original Hebrew. As the Jewish tradition of never pronouncing this personal name of God developed, the word Adonai (“Lord”) began to be read in its place at public readings of the scriptures. This tradition continues today in most English translations, where Yahweh is translated as “LORD” (with the first letter capitalized and the rest in small caps).

more names via link
    https://studentsoul.intervarsity.org/names-of-god

The Quran says that, "To God belongs the most beautiful names", so I imagine God has no single name, but encompasses all the best qualities.

Interestingly, Arabic bibles use "Allah" when translating "God", simply because "Allah" means "The God" in Arabic (and they always have as far as I know).
    -------------------
  • crystalcrystal Member

The word God is not a name its a TITLE King or president are titles but each king has their own distinct NAME.

God has a name. In Hebrew its represented by the Tetragrammaton .

The Hebrew divine name translated a YHWH usually vocalized  in English as Jehovah or Yahweh. The Tetragrammaton is in original Hebrew writings almost 7000 times. Most bibles leave out Jehovah and substitute God or Lord. 

For those claiming to be Christian this is Gods name. When Jesus came to the earth the Jews were not using the name out of superstition or because they thought it to sacred .

Jesus in John 17: 6 " I have come to make your name manifest to the men you gave me out of the world "  verse 26 " I have made your NAME known to them and will make it known.

God has a name and it is Jehovah in English.

He is ONE God NOT 3 in one. Jesus did not believe in the trinity. 1 Corinthians 8:6 There is actually to us ONE God the Father out of whom all things are and we for Him and there is one Lord Jesus Christ through whom all thing are, and we through him.

We tend to forget that the Bible was translated into English many, many years later from the original.  Some tend to think of Jesus as English because he is depicted in many paintings as fair with blue eyes and medium brown hair. Of course we don't know what he looked like for sure but according to records he was born in Bethlehem which
    is definitely not part of the western world.

He is ONE God NOT 3 in one. Jesus did not believe in the trinity. 1 Corinthians 8:6 There is actually to us ONE God the Father out of whom all things are and we for Him and there is one Lord Jesus Christ through whom all thing are, and we through him.

Again agreed.  God is our creator and we are his children.   In today's world too many deny that because they believe ignoring the word frees them up to enjoy mater things.
    Pastimes such as sport with following a "team" become a replacement for belief in God.

Russia Bans Jehovah’s Witnesses As An "Extremist Organization"

Tyler Durdens picture
    Apr 20, 2017 12:52 PM

Russians will no longer have to dread the doorbell.

On Thursday, Russia's Supreme Court ruled that Jehovah's Witnesses was an "extremist" organization after the justice ministry applied for an order to shut down the group's national headquarters near St Petersburg, Russian TASS news agency reported. Russian authorities had put several of the group's publications on a list of banned extremist literature, and prosecutors have long cast it as an organization that destroys families, fosters hatred and threatens lives, a description the organization says is false.

In its lawsuit the Justice Ministry mentioned various violations, exposed by a snap check of the organization’s activities, including those of the federal law on resistance to extremist activities. The Justice Ministry wanted the organization and its 395 local chapters to be declared as extremist and outlawed and its properties to be confiscated.

The Administrative Center of Jehovah’s Witnesses told TASS it found this affair very worrisome, because a future decision would concern 175,000 practicing believers. ACJW spokesman Ivan Bilenko said the organization was prepared to seek protection of its rights in courts of any instance.

A court in Moscow on October 12, 2016 warned Jehovah’s Witnesses over what it ruled was extremist activities. Under Russian legislation the religious organization in question is to be closed down if it fails to eliminate the exposed violations within the required deadline or if new evidence of its extremist activities come to light. The Moscow City Court on January 16, 2017 upheld the warning over extremism handed to Jehovah’s Witnesses.

The Jehovah’s Witnesses group in Russia has said it will appeal against the court’s ruling.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-20/russia-bans-jehovah’s-witnesses-extremist-organization

My comment: Could this be the start of banning other faith's that don't fit in with a one world religion?

• Lynsey_ADMIN_Lynsey_ADMIN_ Administrator

Jehovah's Witnesses banned in Russia as court declares it 'extremist'

Russia's justice minister says the group is a threat to "public safety", but the group has vowed to appeal against the decision.

The Jehovah's Witnesses group has been banned from activities across Russia after the country's highest court declared it was an "extremist organisation".

The decision to seize the group's assets and close down its St Petersburg head office followed a request from the ministry of justice, which claimed it had found signs of "extremist activity" within the organisation.

Justice minister Svetlana Borisova said: "They represent a threat to the rights of people, public order and public safety."

The group, which says it has more than 170,000 followers in Russia, has said it is "shocked" and will appeal against the decision in the European Court of Human Rights.

http://news.sky.com/story/jehovahs-witnesses-banned-in-russia-as-court-declares-it-extremist-10844306

"Before you embark on a Journey of Revenge, Dig Two Graves" Confucius (504 bc)
    “The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.”
    "If angry, count to ten. This will give you time to find a weapon." - Will Spencer