North Korea War Situation
WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

UN Data Reveals Americans Consume 99% of Global Hydrocodone Supply + Many Other Opioids

The number of opioid prescriptions has decreased in the past few years, after more than a decade of explosive growth. This reflects new practice guidelines underscoring opioids’ generally poor effectiveness at reducing chronic pain, increased monitoring of prescribers by government and health-care organizations, and widespread horror within and without medicine over the epidemic of opioid-related deaths.

Although reducing the number of prescriptions will decrease the number of people who become addicted to opioids, too many prescribing restrictions could deny opioids to patients who need and benefit from them. How can we know if and when prescribing controls have gone overboard and the population has insufficient access to prescription opioids? In short, how will we know if the effort to restrict opioids has gone too far?

United Nations data provide one important benchmark against which to judge how much more or less opioid consumption might be appropriate for a given country. And what it finds about the United States is jaw-dropping: Even when the list is restricted to the top 25 heaviest consuming countries, the United States outpaces them all in opioid use.

For example, Americans are prescribed about six times as many opioids per capita as are citizens of Portugal and France, even though those countries offer far easier access to health care. The largest disparity noted in the U.N. report concerns hydrocodone: Americans consume more than 99 percent of the world’s supply of this opioid.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/03/15/americans-use-far-more-opioids-than-anyone-else-in-the-world/

People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
- Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Comments

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    Slightly insane.
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • RosieRosie Member, Permitted to post new threads
    We would all have better pain tolerance if we weren't encouraged to be so reliant on pain killers.  To date have managed on maybe two Panadol per year as have a very strong belief on this.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

I imagine if society gave people time to actually rest and cover, that would go a long way towards healing and might remove some of the need to medicate the meat machines
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • "Hey boss, I had a car accident on the way to work."

"Oh.  Are you ok?"

"I lost both of my legs."

"Ouch.  Ok then, take the rest of the day off, but I might need you to come in on Saturday to make up the time."

".....thanks."

People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
    - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings
    -------------------
  • tazweisstazweiss Member, Permitted to post new threads

I remember a story from the history of my old regiment. 

It seems that during basic training, a lot of recruits were suffering a variety of illnesses.  With so many recruits reporting to the MIR (Medical Inspection Room) it was causing a lot of slow downs in the training. 

A new doctor was assigned to the recruit school.  Within a couple of weeks, the number of recruits reporting in sick, dropped to almost zero.  What the doctor began doing, was assigning recovery protocols that were worse than the illness or injuries being reported.  The troops became afraid to go to the doctor and the training schedule was able to get back on track.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.