WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

The World's First Election of a Trans-Gendered Man Has Taken Place in Japan

GrumpyGuy_MOD_GrumpyGuy_MOD_ Moderator
edited March 20 in News Updates

Japan has become the first country in the world to elect a transgender man to a public office. 

Tomoya Hosoda, 25, won 21 out of 22 seats to become a councillor for the city of Iruma, in the central region of Kanto. 

Mr Hosoda said he does not just want to fight for LGBTQ rights but also for the rights of the disabled and the elderly, by constructing a system that embraces diversity and helps minorities, Japanese media reports

“Until recently, people have acted as if sexual minorities do not exist. We have many hurdles to overcome, but I hope to live up to everyone’s expectations”, he told Stonewall, an organisation which supports LGBTQ people in Japan. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/japan-first-world-transgender-man-public-office-councillor-iruma-saitama-kanto-a7636641.html

People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
- Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Comments

• GrumpyGuy_MOD_GrumpyGuy_MOD_ Moderator
    edited March 20
    In my opinion the only reason a trans person got elected in Japan because it was a woman living as a man.  They look like a normal, every-day bespectacled nerd like you'd find working for any given company across Japan.  I can see old people taking less of an issue with that.

If a man living as a woman tried, though?  Some of the more flamboyant ones might be successful as entertainers, but I think there's no chance one would get elected because no one would take them seriously.

A few of the popular "trans-woman" entertainers in Japan (they are on TV often):

"Matsuko Deluxe"  - Has a popular talk variety show on TV and in a zillion commercials.  He's pretty funny to be honest.

"Mitz Mangrove"  - Also on TV, and has an exceedingly ridiculous name.

"Akihiro Miwa" - Singer/Actor/Writer drag queen who has been around a long time.

I can't see any of those individuals getting elected to office in Japan.  *Perhaps* "Mitz Mangrove" if it wasn't for that name.

Hmm.  "Prime Minister Mangrove."  Might not be much worse than Abe.
    People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
    - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings