WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

Trump Thinks Your Car's Gas Mileage Is... Your Business

RosieRosie Member, Permitted to post new threads

Trump Thinks Your Car's Gas Mileage Is... Your Business

Mar 18, 2017 6:00 PM

Via Eric Peters Autos,

The Clovers are aghast that Trump is threatening to do the unimaginable – and stop threatening the car companies with federal fuel economy fatwas (and add-on fatwas forbidding or restricting how much plant food – carbon dioxide – cars may emit).

He appears to be entertaining the horrible idea that the people who buy cars ought to be free to decide for themselves how much fuel economy matters to them – since they will be the ones paying for both the car and the gas. And – oh my god! – that this is really none of the business of the “concerned” scientists and other professional busybodies who regard their opinions and preferences as holy writ enforceable at gunpoint.

“We’re going to work on the CAFE standards so you can make cars in America again,” said Trump. He should have added the qualifier – affordable cars in America again.

Leaving aside the moral issue – who are these people to tell anyone whether their next car should get 10 MPG or 40 MPG? – the issue never addressed by the media, including the automotive media, is how much will all this cost us?

Obama’s mullahs uluated about the many billions (allegedly) which would be “saved” by force-marching every automaker to build cars that average 54.5 MPG. It is the sort of “savings” one realizes by emptying your bank account to buy something you don’t need that’s 5 percent off.

Only worse, because you’re not given the option to keep your money in the bank.

A week or so ago, executives from the major automakers came to the White House to explain to Donald – who probably already grokked it – that to get a single car to average 54.5 MPG requires more than merely ululating that it will be so. A new Prius hybrid almost manages it – and the hybrid Prius costs several thousand dollars more than an otherwise similar but not 54.5 MPG non-hybrid car.

And to get every car made to average 54.5 MPG – which is what Obama’s EPA ululated in the last weeks of his regime – won’t magically just happen, either – even if the entire regulatory Mecca ululates in unison for a week straight.

In the first place, it requires technology – and new designs. These generally involve work and resources, which cost money. New components don’t generally rain from Allah’s merciful bounty, upon ululation.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-18/trump-thinks-your-cars-gas-mileage-your-business

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

Comments

• RosieRosie Member, Permitted to post new threads
    Carbon taxes are a tax which the governments receive, they don't solve the problem. Companies and carmakers still pollute, they just pass on the charges to the public in the price of fuel on top of the GST and excise levy.  People drive less now for pleasure or travel because fuel is more expensive than it was formerly.  If public transport was easier to access for work and less expensive more people would use it.   I some places trains are often cancelled or don't run on time. Have had LPG gas tank installed in my car for years, however recently a number of service stations (mainly Shell) have stopped carrying it or increased its price. Within the same city people pay up to7 cents less one side of the river to the other.  The further north of the CBD (or from work) you live the higher the rate per litre of LPG and petrol.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    It's time for electric vehicles - they were on par in performance even 20 years ago, and would solve a whole heap of problems we have today
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • tazweisstazweiss Member, Permitted to post new threads
    This article uses the term "Grok".  It has been years since I've heard it used by anyone but me.  I was beginning to think that there was no one left in the world who understood it.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    Heinleinists are few and far between these days. I wonder if people even still read him?

Divergent from the topic of hand, but what do you think about his idea of military democracy and citizenship through service, as put forth in Startship Troopers, Taz?
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • tazweisstazweiss Member, Permitted to post new threads

In the 70's, Starship Troopers was very popular among the troops. 

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with having to earn the right to have a say in how things run.  I do know that snowflakes melt really fast during basic training.  Compulsary service certainly hasn't caused a great hardship to the people of Switzerland.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.