Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CURRENT GLOBAL VISITORS (CLICK GLOBE)
D-FOX: PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY

If you can read this message, please contact us immediately at the following email address:

thecomingcrisis@gmail.com

We'd like to communicate.

D-FOX

WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to posting or commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you ever need assistance, simply contact one of the staff or send us an email and we'll be glad to help.

Abandoned Tibetan mastiffs pose threat to snow leopards' primacy By Zhong Nan ( China Daily ) Update

Abandoned Tibetan mastiffs pose threat to snow leopards' primacy

By Zhong Nan ( China Daily ) Updated: 2017-03-18 07:26:51

Abandoned Tibetan mastiffs pose threat to snow leopards primacy

Similar to luxury cars, villas and overseas assets, a Tibetan mastiff was once seen a status symbol for China's nouveau riche. [Photo by Liu Junfeng/China Daily]

Even though the snow leopard in the Sanjiangyuan region, an area of the Tibetan Plateau in Qinghai province, is at the top of food chain, it is now being challenged by the Tibetan mastiff.

Ironically, the dogs are abandoned homegrown mastiffs, and the snow leopards usually give up their prey after being confronted by the dogs.

Such scenes were rare in the past, but with the number of abandoned mastiffs surging between 2012 and 2014, and snow leopard numbers declining as a result human activities, poaching and climate change, these kinds of encounters are now fairly common.

Lion-like mastiffs, native to the Tibet autonomous region and neighboring Qinghai province, were traditionally trained as sheep dogs and watchdogs by herders.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/weekend/2017-03/18/content_28600601.htm

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

Comments

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    Beautiful dogs, even though they're the size of a horse...
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator
    Who would abandon that thing!?! That's like my dream dog aside from a german shepherd. I'd take one in a heart beat....they also sell for thousands of dollars here in the US. 
    Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
  • Rosie_MOD_Rosie_MOD_ Moderator
    Gives "puppy preschool" a whole new meaning!

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

Who would abandon that thing!?! That's like my dream dog aside from a german shepherd. I'd take one in a heart beat....they also sell for thousands of dollars here in the US. 
    Literally, who would abandon them?

"I'm abandoning you."

"I'm going to chew off your left arm."

"I'll stay."

These dogs are apparently so intense that they can take on two wolves and win. They're used a lot in shepherding if I'm not mistaken.
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
    Gives "puppy preschool" a whole new meaning!
    I really like that braided leash someone created for the one on the right
    -------------------
  • Braided leashes are easy.  I braided the halter for my horse.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

tazweiss said:
    Braided leashes are easy.  I braided the halter for my horse.
    I'm going to ask the question that's on everyone's mind here: do you knit?
    -------------------
  • No, I don't.  However, I see nothing wrong with having that skill.

I attempted to sew once, but thankfully the UN Security Council intervened
    -------------------
  • When I was on overseas tours with the army, other troops would pay me to sew rank insignias and name tags on their uniforms because I could used white thread without it being visible.  I could also get them on straight.