WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

Jared D Smith, 18, Arrested for saying 'f***' in front of woman, 75, which 'disturbed her peace'

• Jared Dylan Smith, 18, allegedly uttered a curse word in presence of woman, 75
  • He was arrested on charges of disturbing the peace and disorderly conduct in West Monroe, Louisiana
  • He denies the allegation but if found guilty could face up to 90 days in jail
  • The complainant's 'peace' was 'clearly disturbed'

An 18-year-old man was arrested on charges of disturbing the peace for swearing in the presence of a female senior citizen in Louisiana.

Jared Dylan Smith allegedly said the work 'f***' in front of a woman, 75, in West Monroe.

His arrest report, obtained by the Ouachita Citizen, reads: 'While standing next to my 75-year-old complainant, Jared yelled the word 'f***' and clearly disturbed her peace.'

He was booked for disturbing the peace through language and disorderly conduct on April 8.

His bond was set at $200.

Smith denied the allegation and there were no other witnesses, according to the arrest report.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4416982/Louisiana-man-arrested-cursing-woman.html

"Before you embark on a Journey of Revenge, Dig Two Graves" Confucius (504 bc)
“The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.”
"If angry, count to ten. This will give you time to find a weapon." - Will Spencer

Comments

• tazweisstazweiss Member, Permitted to post new threads

A harsh sentence, to be sure.

Although, there was a time when a man could be a thief, a murderer and a cattle rustler, but he still had enough couth to avoid using foul language in front of women and children.

If the politicians treat people this poorly when they're armed to the teeth,

just imagine what they'll be willing to do once they've disarmed everyone.

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    edited April 17
    I would like to point out that the media didn't call the woman making the complaint a "snowflake" or a "liberal" for her actions, which would have undoubtedly happened had the roles been reversed.

While he should definitely taste a bar of soap (if this actually happened), this is just one piece of evidence among many that there is a concerted effort within the media to vilify younger people and create a generational divide (perpetrated by the older generations, strangely). 
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
    edited April 17
    What's even more disturbing about this, and what has yet to be mentioned, is the fact he may be charged and imprisoned for three months without any witnesses or evidence. Basically, someone pointed at him, said, "Criminal!", and off to jail he goes. If that doesn't bother people who support freedom, nothing probably will.
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator
    What's even more disturbing about this, and what has yet to be mentioned, is the fact he may be charged and imprisoned for three months without any witnesses or evidence. Basically, someone pointed at him, said, "Criminal!", and off to jail he goes. If that doesn't bother people who support freedom, nothing probably will.
    My biggest beef is, we have freedom of speech here.... It doesn't matter if your speech is offensive, it's protected by the constitution. This is clearly a violation of his constitutional rights, and there is 0 chance this would've happened even 2 years ago 

If this kid is found guilty, it will be a landmark case in the degradation of free speech.

When he is found not guilty, he should sue that elderly woman and the police force that arrested him 
    Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
  • Lynsey_ADMIN_Lynsey_ADMIN_ Administrator
    In the UK, some guy was arrested for calling a Policeman's horse "Gay".. when it got to court, the judge threw it out and scolded the police for wasting public money, court & police time
    "Before you embark on a Journey of Revenge, Dig Two Graves" Confucius (504 bc)
    “The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.”
    "If angry, count to ten. This will give you time to find a weapon." - Will Spencer
  • mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator
    In the UK, some guy was arrested for calling a Policeman's horse "Gay".. when it got to court, the judge threw it out and scolded the police for wasting public money, court & police time
    Well, I'm sure if that horse could have understood him, it would've been deeply offended 
    Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
    Part of the reason the police and their overzealousness earn all the neighsaying, surely 
    -------------------
  • RosieRosie Member, Permitted to post new threads

2011 Louisiana Laws
    Revised Statutes
    TITLE 14 — Criminal law
    RS 14:103 — Disturbing the peace

Universal Citation: LA Rev Stat § 14:103

SUBPART C. OFFENSES AFFECTING THE

GENERAL PEACE AND ORDER

§103. Disturbing the peace

A. Disturbing the peace is the doing of any of the following in such manner as would foreseeably disturb or alarm the public:

(1) Engaging in a fistic encounter; or

(2) Addressing any offensive, derisive, or annoying words to any other person who is lawfully in any street, or other public place; or call him by any offensive or derisive name, or make any noise or exclamation in his presence and hearing with the intent to deride, offend, or annoy him, or to prevent him from pursuing his lawful business, occupation, or duty; or

(3) Appearing in an intoxicated condition; or

(4) Engaging in any act in a violent and tumultuous manner by any three or more persons; or

(5) Holding of an unlawful assembly; or

(6) Interruption of any lawful assembly of people; or

(7) Intentionally engaging in any act or any utterance, gesture, or display designed to disrupt a funeral, funeral home viewing, funeral procession, wake, memorial service, or burial of a deceased person.

(8) Intentionally blocking, impeding, inhibiting, or in any other manner obstructing or interfering with access into or from any building or parking lot of a building in which a funeral, wake, memorial service, or burial is being conducted, or any burial plot or the parking lot of the cemetery in which a funeral, wake, memorial service, or burial is being conducted.

B.(1) Whoever commits the crime of disturbing the peace shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than ninety days, or both.

(2) Whoever commits the crime of disturbing the peace as provided in Paragraphs (A)(7) and (8) of this Section shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

Amended by Acts 1960, No. 70, §1; Acts 1963, No. 93, §1; Acts 1968, No. 647, §1; Acts 1979, No. 222, §1; Acts 2006, No. 805, §1.

http://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2011/rs/title14/rs14-103

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

Appears this law is nothing new (2011) and doesn't only apply to young innocent golden haired, blue eyed angels kids  who should have known (and probably did know) better,  who accidentally drop yell "that word" in front of a 75 year old woman.

Technically it applies to anyone of any age who swears at or abuses another person of any age.  If there were no witnesses it could be presumed he was yelling it at her, not some other friend or associate.

For "some reason" this case has been singled out as newsworthy and no doubt is having the desired effect on readers. i.e. "Old person stamped with  'past use by date' makes fuss over nothing; picks on young person 'with whole life ahead of them'. Maybe such kids' parents should teach them respect for starters so that life isn't filled with potholes along the way.  Hmm.... could the parents be the ones who reported this to the media?

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

• I really, really don't like that "Disturbing the Peace" is a crime, yet the definition of what disturbs peace, or what peace even is, was set by someone else a long time ago.

I find my own peace disturbed often by the actions and behaviours of others, but there isn't anything I can do about it because those actions are fine to a lot of other people (namely the ones in charge).
    People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
    - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings
    I really, really don't like that "Disturbing the Peace" is a crime, yet the definition of what disturbs peace, or what peace even is, was set by someone else a long time ago.

I find my own peace disturbed often by the actions and behaviours of others, but there isn't anything I can do about it because those actions are fine to a lot of other people (namely the ones in charge).
    The constant wars initiated for indefinite periods  could be considered disturbing the peace. Certainly peace is never the outcome even though wars are always fought in the name of it. Wars usually result in death, starvation, poverty and deprivation of liberty.