WELCOME TO CRISISFORUMS.ORG!
(1) Please swing by our "HELP CENTER" to view our forum rules prior to commenting.
(2) Acknowledge that by commenting or posting, you take full responsibility for the content and message of the information you put forth, which do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website.
(3) If you would like to post your own discussion threads, just contact one of the staff so we can verify you as a human.

More Americans suffering from stress, anxiety and depression than ever, study finds

Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator

More Americans than ever before are stressed, depressed and anxiety-ridden, and many are unable to get the help they need, a new study suggests.

An estimated 8.3 million American adults — about 3.4 percent of the U.S. population — suffer from serious psychological distress, an evaluation of federal health data concluded. Previous estimates put the number of Americans suffering from serious psychological distress at 3 percent or less, the researchers said.

“Mental illness is on the rise. Suicide is on the rise. And access to care for the mentally ill is getting worse,” said lead researcher Judith Weissman. She’s a research manager in the department of medicine at NYU Langone Medical Center in New York City.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/stress-anxiety-depression-mental-illness-increases-study-finds/

1. Will a forthcoming thermonuclear world war help with America stress levels?3 votes
    1. Yes
      33.33%
    2. Nope
      66.67%
-------------------
"...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)

Comments

• Anxiety Disorders affect 18.1 percent of adults in the United States (approximately 40 million adults between the ages of 18 to 54). - National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH).

Current estimates put this number much higher - approximately 30 percent - as many people don't seek help, are misdiagnosed, or don't know they have issues with anxiety.

A recent survey showed 41 percent of employees from a range of industries reported high levels of anxiety in the workplace.

Another report found that more than half of college students sought help for their anxiety issues. Research has found that anxiety can impede learning, which often leads to lower academic achievement and performance.

• 65% of North Americans take prescription medications daily, 43% take mood altering prescriptions regularly.
    • There were over 3.3 Billion prescriptions filled in America in 2002 (12 times the U.S’s population - that’s 12 prescriptions for every man, woman, and child in the U.S. that year).
    • Paxil and Zoloft (two of the more popular anti-anxiety medications) ranked 7th and 8th in the top ten prescribed medications in the US (these two medications totaled almost $5 Billion in sales in 2002).
    These stats taken from:

http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-statistics-information.shtml

People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
    - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings
  • There were over 3.3 Billion prescriptions filled in America in 2002 (12 times the U.S’s population - that’s 12 prescriptions for every man, woman, and child in the U.S. that year).

That's insane.

The last few prescriptions I've received include:

1.  A steroid cream for a psoriasis flare-up on my elbow, last November or December.

2.  An one-week prescription for an anti-biotic from a dentist because I had a bacterial infection on part of my gums.  Either the summer of 2014 or 2015, can't recall which.

3.  An ADHD medication a psychiatrist I went to on a whim prescribed me, of which I took one pill and threw the rest away because it made me feel unwell.  That was summer 2012.

4.  Several days' worth of a mild painkiller after having 9 staples put in my arm to close up a cut from broken glass.  Spring 2012.

Before that... possibly something for strep throat during some prior year.  I can't remember.
    People in this world look at things mistakenly, and think that what they do not understand must be the void. This is not the true void. It is bewilderment.
  • Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    It all adds up considering:

- Anti-depressants are prescribed on a monthly basis, so 12 minimum a year
    - Often more than one anti-depressant is issued
    - Anti-depressants are also used to combat anxiety 
    - Sedatives are often prescribed alongside the anti-depressants, often on a monthly basis, and sometimes in combination with one another

So, for the regular person being taken care of by a psychiatrist, they usually receive a minimum of 24-48 prescriptions a year. I read a story about a man in China who was on six different medicines, so he would have 72 prescriptions a year just for himself.
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    I'd also like to add that people are viewing anxiety as a physical error, a fragility of some sort, when it's really ubiquitous in these times. So many people have anxiety because they're living lives the human body and mind reject, and symptoms result. People suffering aren't the odd ones out, they're the normal ones. 
    -------------------
  • I imagine a large number of those prescriptions also come from old people, who are given a prescription to delay something they are dying from, then another prescription because the first one will kill them without it, then a third prescription because the second one causes high blood pressure, which may kill them, then a fourth prescription because the previous 3 combined make them feel like poop all day, then a fifth prescription to cancel out the potentially-fatal liver damage from taking four prescriptions at the same time, then a sixth prescription to get them to stop complaining about the kids these days.

My grandfather had this multi-pill-sorter for each mealtime, and probably had twice the number of prescriptions I listed above because he was dying from several things at the same time.  I wondered if he had room for his meals after all those pills.

And Matt - yes, I think you're absolutely right that anxiety is a response to how wrong life has become.  I'm positive much of my own considerable anxiety comes because of dual rejection - modern society of me, and me of modern society.