Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CURRENT GLOBAL VISITORS (CLICK GLOBE)
D-FOX: PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY

If you can read this message, please contact us immediately at the following email address:

thecomingcrisis@gmail.com

We'd like to communicate.

D-FOX

Vancouver Bans Bringing New Whales or Dolphins to the Aquarium

A Canadian city has banned an aquarium from bringing in new dolphins, whales and narwhals.

The Vancouver Park Board voted to ban bringing in all new cetaceans, even if they are injured or rescued.

Some people believe keeping large mammals in captivity is cruel and dangerous for the animals' health.

But the Vancouver Aquarium says the ban effectively ends whale rehabilitation and research in Canada.

The aquarium, which sits on land controlled by the parks department, currently has three cetaceans, all of which were rescued and considered incapable of living in the wild.

These animals will remain and are not affected by the ban.

Protesters on both sides of the debate turned up for the vote on Monday night.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39943267

Comments

• "But the Vancouver Aquarium says the ban effectively ends whale rehabilitation and research in Canada."

Rehabilitation can be a nice service to give to whales, although it hardly makes up for what we do to the ocean every day (between noise pollution, radioactive pollution and regular pollution it's a tremendous amount).

As for the "end of whale research" I can't muster up much sympathy.  That's like aliens lamenting the end of Human research when their government announces a new law against abductions.  Learning about whales and dolphins mostly benefits us by satiating our curiosity.  Whales were getting along just fine before we began studying them (and of course hunting them commercially).

Researchers would argue they're attempting to save the whales, but unless they can stop shipping companies from using boats, stop militaries from having navies and stop all pollution of the ocean I question how successful they'll ultimately be.  Does prolonging the existence of cetacean species by a handful of years make up for keeping members of their population confined to small tanks?  I'm not sure it does.

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    The whales are going to have to rescue us if things go on this way
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)