Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CURRENT GLOBAL VISITORS (CLICK GLOBE)
D-FOX: PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY

If you can read this message, please contact us immediately at the following email address:

thecomingcrisis@gmail.com

We'd like to communicate.

D-FOX

Equine therapy can help Aboriginal university students, says researcher

Equine therapy can help Aboriginal university students, says researcher

By Janel Shorthouse

Updated 9 Feb 2018, 5:31pm

A Sunshine Coast researcher wants to replicate a successful equine therapy program being used in America to improve the retention rate of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander university students in Australia.

Dr Bindi Bennett, from the University of the Sunshine Coast, will travel to the Institute for Human-Animal Connection at the University of Denver to see first-hand how contact with horses has significantly reduced drop-out rates.

The six-month placement came after Dr Bennett received an Australia Award and Endeavour Research Fellowship for Indigenous Australians.

Dr Bennett, a Gamilaraay woman, said horses can help change a person's mental health.

"The connection is powerful," Dr Bennett said.

"Especially for Aboriginal people, because they have a real sense of connection with horses because of their spiritual connection with water and the land — everything is connected.

read more:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-09/equine-therapy-for-first-nation-people/9415596

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

Comments

• Equine therapy is the answer. 

During the summer, I'll sometimes spend 7 days a week on a horse.  Six of those days will be for work and one will be for pleasure, I haven't yet decided which is which.  For the average person, being on a horse just makes worldly cares go away.  Every time I get on my horse, I can feel a smile as I settle onto the saddle.  Dr. Bennett is onto a good thing. 

"How do you tell a communist?  Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin.  And how do you tell an anti-communist?  It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."

*Ronald Reagan*

• Had two up to 8 years ago but they both died of old age.  Even grooming a horse is soothing and destressing and riding is great exercise.  The fence is down one side so no more horses because they could get out onto the road through next door.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."