Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CURRENT GLOBAL VISITORS (CLICK GLOBE)
D-FOX: PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY

If you can read this message, please contact us immediately at the following email address:

thecomingcrisis@gmail.com

We'd like to communicate.

D-FOX

Tech Giants Race To Create An Alternate Reality

Rosie_MOD_Rosie_MOD_ Moderator

Tech Giants Race To Create An Alternate Reality

Wed, 04/04/2018 - 02:45  from Zero Hedge

Submitted by Michael Scott for SafeHaven

Virtual reality, augmented reality, immersive reality, mixed reality and finally merged reality … Welcome to the world of digital layering, awash with cutting-edge technologies that are mostly powered by rather dorky and clunky hardware, but fascinating nonetheless.

The digital reality industry is exploding, and tech titans are in an arms race to cut themselves a niche in the sector, earn bragging rights for the snazziest devices that will drive future billion-dollar valuations.

VR and AR have been creating the most buzz, though the average user might be hard-put to tell one from the other. That's hardly surprising when the media, and sometimes the innovators themselves, tend to use the two terms interchangeably. But when it comes to alternate realities, either one will emerge to redefine existence, or the two leaders will merge to become an even bigger reality.

Similar Digital Realities, Different Technologies

VR and AR are two sides of the same coin though they have significantly different capabilities.

VR is the grandfather of our alternate reality, with the first VR devices dating all the way back to the era of the head-mounted Telesphere Mask.

Much earlier attempts at VR had been made in the form of 360-degree murals. And modern examples of VR devices include Oculus VR, Samsung GearVR and HTC Vive.

AR has been slower off the blocks, mainly because the underlying technology requires more fine-tuning for things like motion controllers, depth sensors and cameras for a truly awesome user experience. Apple’s brand new ARKit, Microsoft's HoloLens, Snap glasses, Google Cardboard and Magic Leap's soon-to-come AR glasses all belong to the AR camp.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-04-03/tech-giants-race-create-alternate-reality

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

Comments

• Rosie_MOD_Rosie_MOD_ Moderator
    edited April 4
    The burning question is - why do tech companies want us removed from reality as we know it.   These products are clearly going to be addictive and definitely not something we'd want our children or teenagers to become immersed in.  The money to be made selling these products  isn't the endgame.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

• tazweisstazweiss Member

Considering how desperate many are (youth and adult alike) to lose themselves in realistic and graphic video games, it would be a huge market.  There are a lot of people out there who would be willing to sell their souls for an immersive VR experience.

Personally, this year marks 21 years since I last played a video game.

"How do you tell a communist?  Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin.  And how do you tell an anti-communist?  It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."

*Ronald Reagan*

• mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator
    tazweiss said:

Considering how desperate many are (youth and adult alike) to lose themselves in realistic and graphic video games, it would be a huge market.  There are a lot of people out there who would be willing to sell their souls for an immersive VR experience.

I would never leave my basement again if it were a game as good as: Witcher 3, skyrim, or Dark Souls with a full-on VR experience. I say that not joking....I'd literally never go out again and really wouldnt even care if I lost my friends....That's how powerful the potential is for this technology. 

I would trade my real life to live in any one of those three games
    *Laughs, cries, laughs hysterically, eyes frantically dart around the room to see if anyone noticed my brief loss of sanity* 
    Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
  • Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    tazweiss said:

I would never leave my basement again if it were a game as good as: Witcher 3, skyrim, or Dark Souls with a full-on VR experience. I say that not joking....I'd literally never go out again and really wouldnt even care if I lost my friends....That's how powerful the potential is for this technology. 

*Laughs, cries, laughs hysterically, eyes frantically dart around the room to see if anyone noticed my brief loss of sanity* 
    Skyrim VR literally launched just two days ago
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • Rosie_MOD_Rosie_MOD_ Moderator
    tazweiss said:

Skyrim VR literally launched just two days ago
    After reading what's been said, is this the endgame. Getting individuals so engrossed in virtual reality they won't want to live in the real world.  Once snared will virtual or alternate realists want to eat, have a family, go to hospital if they're ill, become educated?  At what age is this going to happen.   Those addicted to drugs keep going back for more at whatever the cost to their personal and family lives. VR and AR could easily become equally as dangerous.