Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CURRENT GLOBAL VISITORS (CLICK GLOBE)
D-FOX: PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY

If you can read this message, please contact us immediately at the following email address:

thecomingcrisis@gmail.com

We'd like to communicate.

D-FOX

Would You Eat Human Meat Grown in a Lab?

Rosie_MOD_Rosie_MOD_ Moderator
edited April 5 in Learning

Would You Eat Human Meat Grown in a Lab?

By Stephanie Pappas, Live Science Contributor | March 13, 2018 03:29pm ET
Would You Eat Human Meat Grown in a Lab
If you were told this beef was lab-grown human meat, would it look more or less appealing?
Credit: Shutterstock

Richard Dawkins wants to know if lab-grown meat will eradicate the taboo against cannibalism.

In a tweet on March 3, the outspoken evolutionary biologist linked to an article about the possible commercialization of meat grown in a laboratory by the end of 2018. Dawkins was practically drooling, but it wasn't over the food: "I've long been looking forward to this," he wrote. "What if human meat is grown? Could we overcome our taboo against cannibalism?"

Lab-grown meat, he continued, would be an "interesting test case" pitting consequentialist morality against "yuck reaction" absolutism. In other words, lab-grown human meat might be ethical in the sense that no one experiences any bad consequences — no killing, no desecrating corpses — but humans might still instinctually recoil at the idea of eating it. [9 Disgusting Things That the FDA Allows in Your Food]

read more:
https://www.livescience.com/62008-lab-grown-human-meat-grown-cannibalism.html

My comment:
OK... So we're going to be told it's lab grown "human" meat.    How are we to identify from the display on on the butcher shop shelf whether it's labgrown or real human meat?  Do we simply believe?  Why would real animal meat be replaced with lab grown meat and why refer to it as "human" if it's artificial?  How are the promoters going to market this to consumers?  Via price? The trend appears to be that we're to live in a world where everything is artificial with our without our agreement.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

Comments

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    No, no I would not
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • tazweisstazweiss Member
    edited April 6

They use to process the offal from beef processing plants and mix it in with cattle feed.  This led to the development of little things called prions in the brains of those cattle.  Prions ate holes in the brains of the cattle and the symptoms became known as "Mad Cow Disease".  Some remote jungle tribes that occasionally practice cannibalism, also develop prions in their brains.  Prions have been proven to be a direct result of cannibalism.

I'm thinking that I'll take a pass on human meat.  My wife already thinks I'm a bit of a nut case.

"How do you tell a communist?  Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin.  And how do you tell an anti-communist?  It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."

*Ronald Reagan*

• It's an interesting thought experiment, but we won't actually see secretly-human lab-grown meat any more than we'll see fire-breathing dragons rising out of secret bioengineering labs.

To answer the question, though, I would not eat it.
  • Rosie_MOD_Rosie_MOD_ Moderator
    The fact the question was even raised as though "ok its artificial human meat" raises several question marks
    a) Is the question loaded to see if people would accept what's called lab meat but really human
    b) Are we being treated as guinea pigs in trialling "fake" meat
    c) Artificial food whether meat, hybrid meat, fake meat or likewise grains and vegetables that are hybridised could be said to have no "life" in them.  If that's the case then is there any goodness at all in lab grown food?  Without true nutritious vitamins and minerals will we gradually fade away from defects and disease?

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

• Lynsey_ADMIN_Lynsey_ADMIN_ Administrator
    no
    "Before you embark on a Journey of Revenge, Dig Two Graves" Confucius (504 bc)
    “The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.”
    "If angry, count to ten. This will give you time to find a weapon." - Will Spencer
  • Rosie_MOD_Rosie_MOD_ Moderator
    Which raises the query - what if they don't tell us. Similar to the movie "Soylent Green".

• tazweisstazweiss Member
    Why would they even think about growing human meat when it's just as easy to grow their fake beef, pork, mutton, chicken, etc.?  The person who raised this question is a moron (yes, I'm talking about you, Richard Dawkins).

"How do you tell a communist?  Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin.  And how do you tell an anti-communist?  It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."

*Ronald Reagan*

• GrumpyGuyGrumpyGuy Member
    edited April 6
    tazweiss said:
      The person who raised this question is a moron (yes, I'm talking about you, Richard Dawkins).
    They're not thinking about it.  It's a purely philosophical question.  A thought exercise of the kind that scientists find amusing to consider in their free time.

In this case Dawkins is considering the nature of taboo and what influences human thinking.  That's a big part of what he does.  He isn't suggesting people actually grow or eat human meat, and I don't believe he thinks anyone ever will. 

His comments are being taken out of context (which would probably not surprise him as misinterpreting him is almost a career in some circles), no doubt because many people read "human meat" and their brains do backflips before the rest of the information can be absorbed.