Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CURRENT GLOBAL VISITORS (CLICK GLOBE)
D-FOX: PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY

If you can read this message, please contact us immediately at the following email address:

thecomingcrisis@gmail.com

We'd like to communicate.

D-FOX

The electric vehicle revolution will bring problems of its own

The electric vehicle revolution will bring problems of its own

By Martin Brueckner

Updated about an hour ago from abc.net.au

After years of being derided as a joke by car manufacturers and the public, interest in electric vehicles has increased sharply as governments around the world move to ban petrol and diesel cars.

We have seen a tremendous rise in availability, especially at the premium end of the market, where Tesla is giving established brands a run for their money. Electric cars are likely to penetrate the rest of the market quickly too. Prices should be on par with conventional cars by 2025.

Electric cars are praised as the answer to questions of green and clean mobility. But the overall sustainability of electric vehicles is far from clear. On closer examination, our entire transport paradigm may need to be rethought.

Compared with combustion engines, electric transport has obvious advantages for emissions and human health.

Transport is responsible for around 23 per cent of energy-related carbon dioxide emissions globally.

read more:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-17/electric-cars-no-silver-bullet/9667516

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

Comments

• Rosie_MOD_Rosie_MOD_ Moderator

If All U.S. Cars Suddenly Became Electric, How Much More Electricity Would We Need?

103634150-toyota-representative-plugs-a-power-cable-from-a
    A Toyota representative plugs a power cable from a vehicle charging station into a Toyota Prius in 2010 in San Francisco.

Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

This question originally appeared on Quora.

Answer by Ryan Carlyle, BSChE, subsea hydraulics engineer:

Let's do the math.

The U.S. burned 133 billion gallons of gasoline in 2012. I'm going to ignore diesel vehicles because the majority of diesel burned in the U.S. is in heavy vehicles where battery-electric drivetrains are not a practical option.

The average thermal energy content in gasoline is 33.41 kWh per gallon. This gives 4,443 TWh of thermal power going to gasoline road vehicles in the U.S. per year. If we assume electric vehicles use energy with four times the efficiency of gasoline vehicles (a reasonable round number), it would take 1,111 TWh of electrical energy to replace that gasoline energy. U.S. electricity consumption in 2011 was 3,882 TWh.

So the increase in yearly electricity demand would be about 29 percent.

Now, let's look at what this does to CO2 emissions.

Each gallon of gasoline contains 8,887 grams of CO2. So the CO2 reduction from avoided gasoline consumption (assuming demand does not rise elsewhere to compensate) would be 1.182 billion tonnes CO2 per year. But this is the gross figure before increased electricity use is considered.

read more:
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2014/05/02/electric_vehicles_how_much_energy_would_we_need_to_fuel_them.html

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

Having purchased a hybrid (electric battery/petrol) vehicle which uses 4.3 litres per 100 km I can state I'm very happy with it.

• YulienYulien Member

Sadly this is a huge problem:

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/aug/10/electric-cars-big-battery-waste-problem-lithium-recycling

And for someone like me, electromagnetic fields gives me migraines powerful enough to vomit and lose consciousness, I cannot imagine driving to the US for a 10 hours trip inside a car like this who emit radiations over what the bio-initiative suggest to be safe of .02 milligauss.

http://www.bioinitiative.org/

Well at least the big pharma will make more money with cancer.

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    Yulien said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/aug/10/electric-cars-big-battery-waste-problem-lithium-recycling

And for someone like me, electromagnetic fields gives me migraines powerful enough to vomit and lose consciousness, I cannot imagine driving to the US for a 10 hours trip inside a car like this who emit radiations over what the bio-initiative suggest to be safe of .02 milligauss.

Can you tell us more about your symptoms, when they first started, and so on? I'd be interested in learning more about this condition. 

Do things like WIFI internet affect you as well?
    -------------------
    "...Say, 'GOD is sufficient for me.' In Him the trusters shall trust." (Quran 39:38)
  • YulienYulien Member
    I am at work right now, so if I can, tonight I will give you more details. But I was living beside a 25000 volts powerline for 8 years. I lost my immune system in that house (my 2 dogs died of brain tumors under six months in that house and my wife almost lost all her hairs), at the same time I got bitten by a tick, and I got Lyme disease because of that, and because my immune system was so weak the bug took possession of my entire body. And yes, WiFi, and cell tower and cellphone, and especially powerlines makes me really, really sick. When my wife get home, I can tell her if her cellphone is on, a migraine always start 10 minutes after she got home if she doesn't shut it down.
    Yulien said:

I'm glad mine (hybrid) isn't of that variety of electric car.  Supposedly some of the new electric cars are either intended as taxis or it's expected families will downsize radically in the future.
    Image result for electric cars wuhan
    It's  obvious that families won't be expected to do their own shopping. Just look at the tiny amount of storage space available.   As the batteries are so heavy perhaps they've downsized the car to keep other weight down otherwise why so when it's planned less people will own cars in the future.  How are larger sized folk expected to squeeze themselves in one of these?

We live in an aging society.  Will there be cars strong enough to hook up a caravan and tote it around Australia (or anywhere else) as "grey nomads" love to do? Will there be vehicles that accommodate walking frames and wheelchairs?
    Image result for electric cars wuhan
    Now imagine this is  the car park at a football game or concert.  Try to locate your car. Everyone will be running around  in circles with "Find my car" apps.

Image result for noddy books car
    Why not go the whole hog and paint them all like this? Just like the Jules Verne stories
    Enid Blyton books are becoming reality.